doing dishes...saving water??

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
livesimply5 said:
Thanks. So no soap just water..then vinegar spray..

Rarely soap. 

One more thing, I only use utensils that don't have crevices for food/germs to hide in. I never use a metal fork, very occasionlly I'll use a plastic fork, then it's thrown away. My spatula doesn't have openings in it, it's a solid piece.

A few things aren't as easy without a fork, but it's no big deal.
Bob

The real way to save water whether you are cleaning dishes or yourself is to avoid soap. It takes a lot of water to get rid of soap.

Hippiechk said:
I use a one litre garden sprayer to conserve on water. I use it so much I made it a holster! *smile*

Hippiechk ,, good idea

I recently purchased the very neatest water bottle that I carry with me everywhere. It can actually shoot a stream of water with such force I'll bet it will shoot 20 feet. When I bought it I only bought the top section because I wanted to add an insulated bottom part. You can use it as a mist to just cool yourself off by just turning the little knob a bit, then keep turning it on up to the major blast to wash dishes or blast any unwanted neighbors [emoji3]. It's not bear spray but would certainly startle a wild animal or dog. You can use it to shower, wash your hair or just about anything you might think of.

Its called an Aquabot and I ordered mine on the grommet website but I'm sure they must be on eBay and various other sites.

I pulled a couple of photos off the net:

55029a19da1bc647e58e9480ea4e3895.jpg

Here is a link to the grommet and also a little promo video

https://www.thegrommet.com/lunatec-gear-aquabot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When trying to conserve water, I do not use water for washing dishes or silverware at all.  I will lick the fork clean and wipe it with a napkin with some isopropyl alcohol on it.  I eat out of the saucepan/skillet I cooked in, and wipe it with with a piece of a tortilla of excess food, then use the previously mentioned same  papertowel with rubbing alcohol on it to wipe it clean, or not.  
If not, when I next cook with it I just make sure to wipe/scrub  it with some olive oil  on Napkin while it warms up to kill any bacteria that was growing.

My cast iron skillet gets wiped while it is still hot from cooking.  I've been saving the oil from the top of Trader joe's  Natural peanut butter.  That and a little salt work great to clean it and keeps it basically non stick for the next meal.

If water conservation is not a consideration I still use very little, using well less than a gallon from my sun shower for all my cooking and eating utensils, as often I will just let them all accumulate until I absolutely have to wash them.

I understand the need for soap and water and a rinse when in a stick and brick, but those habits stayed there, for me

Use paper plates when you have to conserve water. Or line your plate with Saran Wrap or waxed paper. Or just use the waxed paper or a paper towel.

I seen a youtube video where the guy used a spray bottle of vinegar to wash dishes. It cuts grease well, and the acid disinfects. He talks about the vinegar about the 2:30 mark.

When I went on a Green Tortoise bus tour, we used 3 buckets for dishes, One with soap, two for rinsing, (with a little bleach added).
When the rinse water gets a bit dirty, soap is added and it now is the wash bucket, (a new second rinse bucket is started and the original first bucket of soapy water is dumped). So one wash, two rinses. The bleach in the water will keep nasties from growing, (even the soap bucket had bleach as it started life as a rinse bucket).
We did not save the water between stops, but then we were washing dishes for 30 people. A couple could probably get several weeks of washing. We used 5 gallon buckets, but you could down size that quite a bit for a single person.

akrvbob said:
99% of the time I use spray bottles for dishes. Wipe them down with paper towel, srray with water from quart bottle, wipe again. Repeat till clean. One final hit with a spray bottle with pure white vinegar, leave it for a few minutes, final wipe--done.

I've done that every day for 8 years, never an issue.
Bob

Since I read this post awhile back, I have gone to this method. It's the best. My life is more simplified. Thanks again to Bob!

I can't rightly remember when I last had to wash a dish. ..Willy.