DOH! Be sure to check battery water level!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reducto

Reaction score
Don't be like me! I switched to flooded golf cart batteries a year and a half ago and never checked the water level. I guess I figured that was only a problem if you put heavy loads on them. Then one day my electronics went wonky but not in the normal drained battery way. Everything worked but my leds were dim. Normally they are either full bright or flickering. I checked my battery voltage and it read 9.5 volts! One was around 6v, the other around 4v, meaning one cell of the battery had gone out. Shining a flashlight in the water holes I could only see exposed plates, no water anywhere.

A half gallon of distilled water and 6 hours of charging in the sun and I was back at 12.4v! I thought they were done for. It's been 4 days now and they are performing quite well. I'm sure it did damage but at least I don't have to replace them today.

Now I just need to finally install that voltage gauge I've had sitting around for 3 years.

Wet Cell Batteries are like me, bro;
They both work better when filled with distilled spirits.......

(I do hope you used distilled or rain water and not something out of the tap or river- jez sayin)
Edit - Just seen u in fact owned up to using distilled stuff - disregard me last transmission
Also if you're a bat fluid chek procrastinator, you can get the hydro lids for em......
http://hydrocapcorp.com

INTJohn

Usually exposed plates is a death certificate for a battery. The exposed plates usually never contribute to the capacity of the battery from that point.

Water usage is directly realted to how much time they spend at gassing voltages when charging which are generally anything above 14.1v, but this is not written in stone for every battery.

Unless the DC loads are extreme, there is no gassing during discharge and thus no water loss.

Batteries will increase their water consumption when aged, even if the user does not increase absorption voltage or duration, and the duration required on an Aged battery also increases, furthering water loss in addition to simple age, if the user was wise enough to increase absorption voltage duration, if their charging source allows such things.

I am glad your batteries appear to be OK, but they have likely lost a good portion of their remaining capacity, and will decline faster from here on out.

Not to say the time they have left will not be useful, or Subjectively 'just fine' for X amount of time, but I would recommend keeping that ~200$ buffer handy for if one of the cells shorts out and you are left with a 10.5v battery bank that is dangerous to charge as the shorted cell withh heat excessively and gass a lot.

Earlier this decade, I prematurely killed 2 pairs of paralleled marine group 27's by not checking thier water levels in time. This was mostly due to the very inconvenient location in which to check their levels, but also ignorance that their water usage increases with Age, and not linearly either. It seems from half life onwards monthly checks are required and a surprising amount of water is required. I hated having to go out just for for Distilled h20 to add to them but tap water will speed their decline.
One set that was low on water, became useless instantly, the other lasted for 8 more months worth of frustrating perfomrance and loss of confidence. They were only exposing about 1/2 inch of the plates as well so it is not as if Half of the plates were exposed.

6v GC batteriess are way more tolerant of such abuse, but i would recommend applying an equalization charge to them and try to get specific gravity back upto 1.275. I'd be surprised if a hydrometer reading on your lowest cells would read above 1.200 right now. Resting voltage will mean so very little at this point please take no reassurance that seeing 12.6v plus means much, unless they still hold 12.6v+ in the morning after using them normally all night long taking more than 40Ah from them.

An EQ charge soon could likely extend their remaining lifespan a fair amount, but there is no guarantee it will.

The brief explanation of an EQ chrge is after the normal absorption cycle is complete, meaning a normal 'full' charge, raise battery voltage to as high as 16.2 volts, and hold it until Specific gravity no longer rises, or battery temperature starts rapidly rising.

The EQ charge performed regularly or when needed can greatly extend flooded battery longevity, but often when performed, is much too little too late, almost like changing the oil on an engine that just seized due to lack of oil..

Getting to 16.2v can pose issues too. Few plug in charging sources can do so. I used to do so by changing my absorption and float settings Mid day when the batteries were already full and my 10 amps was enought to get battery to as high as 16v. Often it took 4 hours at 16v, to max out SG readings on my OTC4619 hydrometer. Remove all loads from battery when 15.5v is intentionally exceeded.

How much damage was done cannot be definitively answered without doing a 20 hour capacity test, and doing one of these accurately is not easy to accomplish as it requires a constant amp load as voltage decreases, and a battery temperature of 77F for the 20 hours at the prescribed constant load.

A regular load tester will show little, despite the misconceptions that they do. Load testers are to show if a starting battery has enough ability left to crank a motor, and are of limited usefulness when applied to used and abused deep cycle batteries.

@minimotos95

Nice signature but you've forgotten to mention 9 months in the womb & number of hours in a holding cell........ :^)

(couldn't resist..........intjohn)

Can't remember where I heard it, but I am waiting for the opportunity to stand up and exclaim to the jury, " You can't just decide I'm guilty!!!!"

LeeRevell said:
Might be good to invest in one of those automatic battery watering gadgets?

I've already got speed caps on them and they're very accessible, so I can't really justify more gadgets. I just need to actually check them once in a while. For all I know, the level was low when I got them.

I guess being charged off the alternator for extended periods is what did it. I just got the cable I'd need to install a remote switch on my automatic solenoid.

It is unlikely your vehicles voltage regulator holds them at a high enough voltage to cause excessive water usage. In fact, the opposite is much more likely to occur.

Are the batteries exposed to engine heat?

Wiring up that voltmeter to battery terminals would be very wise, especially if you can see it when driving.

Batteries Usually come about filled half way between top of the plates and bottom of the hanging arms, but Sulfuric acid ain't free so who knows how much they were filled when acquired.

For those who care, I recommend Always check levels, and establish a full charge Specific gravity reading for future comparison when one acquires new batteries. I found my USbattery group 31 electrolyte levels to vary widely cell to cell when band spanking new, which was disappointing.

i have made the mistake of filling them all the way full so they boil? over when charging so where would be the proper level be?

First, Unless plates are exposed, do not water a battery unless it is fully charged. If plates are exposed, only fill enough to cover plates plus a little more, then charge.

Flooded batteries have the little hanging arms that go ~3/4 inches into the cells. Fill to about 2to 3MM below these hanging arms after a full charge.

I'd not try and pull any out if overfilled. If you do, consider saving it in a sealing glass jar and add it back to the same cell when it gets low again.

Baking soda neutralizes the acid, but make sure none is allowed to get into a cell.

scroll to page 14:

http://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/TrojanBattery_UsersGuide.pdf

Silly question...

Where to get one of those hydrometer's and cost?
I know google my friend... But I was hoping somebody could recommend a good linkie?

Nevermind, I found it! See, I can do this!!!! LOL!

Glad ya found one. As I always tell folks, "Amazon is your friend!"
That's where I got mine. But, a good auto parts store likely has what you need too.

SternWake said:
Flooded batteries have the little hanging arms that go ~3/4 inches into the cells.

:huh:  I have fill tubes extending down into the battery cell under the caps ~3/4" with a slit on one side.  I fill until I see a meniscus form around the tube.

One thing I didn't plan for in my build is checking my batteries fluid level monthly.  The acrobatics I have to perform to see into the furthest battery would qualify me for Cirque du Soleil.

-- Spiff

Spaceman Spiff said:
:huh:  I have fill tubes extending down into the battery cell under the caps ~3/4" with a slit on one side.  I fill until I see a meniscus form around the tube.

One thing I didn't plan for in my build is checking my batteries fluid level monthly.  The acrobatics I have to perform to see into the furthest battery would qualify me for Cirque du Soleil.

-- Spiff

fill tubes/hanging arms...

There is likely some term for them better than either.

When I had 2 group 27's in my underbattery box, reading the furthest 3 cell's levels required a mirror and a flashlight, and was extremely difficult.

It was easier to unscrew my fridge and slide it out half a foot and crawl inside my cabinet farther to look straight down, but there was also cursing involved in this.

Now I have just a single group 27 AGM there.  Have not laid eyes on it in a long time.

SternWake said:
Now I have just a single group 27 AGM there.  Have not laid eyes on it in a long time.

That might be the one thing that makes me consider AGM when I have to replace my GC2s.

Checking water level and SG every month has been a good learning/confidence building experience for a solar charging newby.

-- Spiff

It is that. Watching an Ammeter, when solar or any charging source is holding battery at absorption voltage is also very enlightening, and if one transfers to AGMS, the Ammeter is a necessity in determining a true full charge.

So adding an ammeter to ones observations, seeing how much amperage a pair of flooded batteries requires to be held at absorption voltage at X percentage of state of charge, verified by a hydrometer, is also an eye opener. It gets to the point one need not use the hydrometer.

Still accepting 3.5 amps at 14.8v? not fullly charged
Accepting only 1.54 amps at 14.8v, fully charged.

Note the 1.54 amp figure is just my guess-timation for a pair of relatively healthy GC batteries and not written in stone. Bust out your own chisel, then resharpen it as the amperage will change as the batteries age.