Do you go on wifi at PLNT,McD, BK, WMT, SBC?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being asked to edit down quoted material in our posts is not only about bandwidth; it is standard online discussion board etiquette.  

I remember, when I first started frequenting bulletin boards, newsgroups, and email lists back in the mid-90s, one of the RULES was always to trim the stuff you're quoting down to only the relevant bit that sparked your reply.  Some boards would reject your message until you trimmed it and only then could you re-submit it.  It just makes it very confusing and frustrating to keep reading whole posts again and again in replies to those posts.

So, yeah, standard netiquette AND conserving bandwidth.  If you feel you absolutely must include a quote, trim it down to only the essential few sentences.  Most of the time, it's clear enough to simply reply without quoting.

However, I have to tell you that I could not figure out what your first post in this thread was about! Not until the post you made before mine.

Yeah, I didn't know what the hell the OP was talking about either, then I quickly realized I don't care.
Read on purely for entertainment value, and then became curious about the mushroom thing.
This is how I spend my slow days at work lol

Back to the original topic. I never use free WiFi since getting Verizon's unlimited plan. I always found Micky D's WiFi spotty anyway.
To the topic of trimming a post, I have been used to doing that for many years now. It really bugs me when on a site pertaining to photography and a post including photo is quoted many times, and that same photo is repeated throughout the thread.
I will usually trim the text as well, unless it's absolutely necessary to keep context.

I'm a newbie on here, but one thing I would recommend is getting a VPN when using someone else's wifi especially at Starbucks, McDonalds etc. It doesn't take much for someone to hack all of your info from public wifi spots.

Cowboy you are right I am not the most sensitive when I request the trimming. but something that has been repeated over and over by all the mods and continues to happen is pretty discouraging. especially when it's laid out in the Forum Policies section that everyone is supposed to read. highdesertranger