disposable gloves....added to take along checklist

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maki2

Reaction score
Having a limited water supply for washing hands means it makes sense to take along a box of disposable gloves for food prep task such as working with raw meats or other messy foods such as peeling some fruits that have a lot of juice.

Also a supply of other types of disposable gloves for household task and various chores where your hands get really dirty, sticky, greasy or even cleaning up after pets and emptying toilets of whatever variety.

So you might want to add these to your shopping list and dedicate some drawer space for boxes of gloves along with those paper towels, TP paper, garbage bags, etc.

I just wipe my hands with an old washcloth. It's more ecologically friendly.

I always carry a bunch of  those blue "Nitrile" gloves, bought in boxes of 100 at Harbor Freight. Vastly superior to the old vinyl whatever. I used to always be dropping and breaking wet items with the old gloves, but the nitrile grip much better, and also last much longer. Good for working on a greasy engine too.

I agree with Mr. Noodly. disposable anything is a waste. although everything now-a-days is disposable it seems like. isn't everything Harbor Freight sells disposable? LOL highdesertranger

You guys are getting awfully politically correct here, say what! I suppose you guys use leaves instead of TP. Or maybe sand in the case of HDR. The mind wobbles thinking how many cat holes HDR has dug in his lifetime. :p

I find the blue Nitrile gloves will last for many weeks of use with cleaning, etc, while those old vinyl gloves would last for about 2 uses. Plus cleaning your hands after working on a greasy engine requires an immense amount of time spent washing and drying, using all kinds of grungy soap and non-ecological emulsifiers.

HB stuff isn't so much disposable as it just falls apart after a couple of uses, LOL.

I wear gloves a lot. Even with all the shots I've gotten and all the precautions. I even fish with them as the entire Colorado River system seems to be under a open cuts and wash your hands before eating type warnings. I carry a pair with me just about everywhere I go. You would be surprised how many first responders have thanked me for having a spare pair to give them. As I come from a family that is "thin skinned" as we get older the thicker black ones have saved me many minor injuries. The biggest problem I have with them is sweat in the high temps. I also use a lot of the microfiber towels and alcohol as well after I've taken off the gloves! Getting even a minor infection can be a big problem when living remotely.

MrNoodly said:
I just wipe my hands with an old washcloth. It's more ecologically friendly.
I do that 90 percent of the time but there are times when gloves work better as the amount of water and degreasers that would be needed are also no ecologically friendly.

But of course there was a time when everyone saved old clothes to make into rags and then for those really greasy jobs or paint jobs the rags eventually became disposables. But for my partner and myself we still cut up our old cotton shirts into rags and put them in a bag for use in the workshop such as cleaning up the milling machine, etc.

Wearing a pair of cotton jersy gloves when setting up or breaking down camp and doing camp chores, keeps my hands clean and has reduced my need to do laundry.

A soap foamer next to my sink, with a small bowl of water, and an old t-shirt make up my 'dirty work' station. The foam gets most of it off, without using the water, a quick rinse and wipe, and I'm good to go again.

I never use plastic gloves for pre-digested food. They let you forget that the point is to keep the food clean, and sometimes you just pick up something dirty, and then touch the food, because, well, of course, your hands are clean. I've seen this over and over again in the deli at the grocery store. Ugh. Wrap my meat, then make change. NOOOOO!!!!

I do use penny-a-piece plastic gloves for cleaning the 'bucket' however. One use only, and once a week is all I need. 52¢ a year.

This is a good point. I see this at the dentist's too and it makes me shiver. They wear masks and then walk go in your mouth but also touch everything in the whole damn office with the same gloves. It's a charade.

yea a lot of it is for show. just cause someone wears gloves don't mean the gloves ain't carrying a host of ick on them also :)

ugh

we carry a box of disposables. Never use them a lot, but they are there when truly needed. Our box lasts a very long time.