Dispersed camping attack

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fair to say, not all people clean up after themselves. A lot of folks just do whatever they like. If they aren't caught red handed they keep doing it.
I'm not going to yell at someone for leaving a mess, or narc them out to rangers. But it does impact everyone.
I'm not above posting unblurred footage to video platforms that clearly identifies the individuals and vehicles that are desecrating public lands. Same for my dash-cam when people drive in oncoming traffic lane to get by a bunch of cars waiting at a light because in their special position they are too delicate to wait in line like everyone else.

Leave no trace is a near impossibility when arriving at dispersed camping in a vehicle. The weight of vehicles compacts the soil, can damage roots of plants, etc. Most of the sights just off the forest or BLM areas ask that you do not create new turnins off the !ain road and stick to using already established camping areas so as to leave most of the area I trampled. Heavy usage at sights will eventually cause so much damage that an area gets closed off for rehabilitation which could take decades in desert areas.

Leave no trace is not just about trash although that is a critical part of it. I never leave trash but there is typically some trace such as scuffed earth in front of my entry points to my vehicle.

I wasn't posting a definitive guide to camping restrictions on BLM land.
I was simply responding to the premise of the OP that restrictions are something new.
It doesn't matter what you were responded to. You posted it on what is supposed to be an informative forum. It doesn't matter what you weren't doing. It is not a true statement and there is a very good chance it will be repeated, then will show up on a utoobe video. And it will be repeated. Then someone will believe it.

The easy thing to do is not post anything that is not FACT without an unmistakable disclaimer. That you didn't have.

Last edited:
I agree. Zero tolerance. I've lost count of the campsites I've cleaned up over the years.their garbage from her and mutter "thank you"
Zero tolerance with automatic fines. I would include violations of fire restrictions. Fines for some folks may not be enough. I wouldn't be opposed to vehicle confiscation at the scene. A person with a 750K Diesel Condo isn't going to be concerned over a $500 fine. He dang sure don't want to listen to the ol' lady as they walk out of the forest to get cell service.

It doesn't matter what you were responded to. You posted it on what is supposed to be an informative forum. It doesn't matter what you weren't doing. It is not a true statement ...
I think this is piling it on a bit thick for what was essentially a minor error that (1) did not affect the overall argument and (2) would not create serious harm (3) even if people bellieved it unquestioningly, which nobody should.

I hope nobody makes major decisions based only on what one post says here. We all need to check stuff out for ourselves too. Because we all make mistakes. I do, too. You do, too. You want this kind of ton o' bricks coming down on you when it's your turn? It just makes people less willing to say "OK, I goofed."

If you really care about stopping disinformation, pay attention to context (yes, it does matter what they were responding to and what they were trying to say), and focus on correcting the error not attacking the person who made the error.

Worst comes to worst, somebody parks closer to an outhouse than they really had to. Come on. Time to let this one go IMO.

attacks happen everywhere, every single minute.
is 'dispersed' a huge hit on its likelihood of being a more comprised threat........could be?

thing is everyone has to live their life and crap goes down........just live and do you as you need and find your own security as it has to be to suit you and then just let the state parks and national forestry etc. change all their rules as they will do and then we just live by them.

we ain't got a real stand in any of this in a way but your own smarts on what lifestyle suits you comes into play and after that, it is what it is out there. I kinda just see it that way.

I object to the word "attack" in this context. Nobody is being attacked. Nor is it a "war" And although I occasionally disagree with authorities, I can see where they are coming from. Campers are our own worst enemies. I have lost track of the number of times I have rolled up to a great camping spot, only to find it trashed to varying degrees.

We can be part of the solution or part of the problem. This is just like witnessing a crime in the city. If we aren't willing to be a witness and/or report the bad guys, we are part of the problem. And we need to be cleaning up after the slobs, as others have suggested. Perhaps even educating them, at the risk of their hostility. And understanding when some campsites need to be closed to recover from human abuse or simply being used. Even when people I love stay too long, I need time to recover.

I would love to see better enforcement by the authorities. But, there are never enough of them or enough ways to identify the actual culprits. In the meantime, maybe a good guy with a trash bag and a shovel can overcome a bad guy with neither.

Leave no trace is a near impossibility when arriving at dispersed camping in a vehicle. The weight of vehicles compacts the soil, can damage roots of plants, etc. Most of the sights just off the forest or BLM areas ask that you do not create new turnins off the !ain road and stick to using already established camping areas so as to leave most of the area I trampled. Heavy usage at sights will eventually cause so much damage that an area gets closed off for rehabilitation which could take decades in desert areas.

Leave no trace is not just about trash although that is a critical part of it. I never leave trash but there is typically some trace such as scuffed earth in front of my entry points to my vehicle.
While technically true, by this logic you just shouldn't go camping at all.
Every time you take a step you are killing some tiny bug or lichen.
Especially in primitive sites where the trails or more like vague suggestions than a maintained path.
I think there is a reasonable balance between the extremes of barefoot hiking and teh overlanders that bring their entire garage with them wherever they go.

For instance, I spend a lot of time at ACE campgrounds. These are mostly developed with water and power hookups. But are usually in the middle of forest, swamp or similar.
A couple weeks ago I saw a family with a camper leave their site kind of a mess. But worst, they left a bunch of pest strips hung up all over the site!
I wasnt going to do anything, since rangers drive by all the time. But nobody did anything, and I was starting to notice hummingbirds around. So I got some grocery bags out of the garbage bag bin and dealt with them.
I mention this because I really try to clean up my campsite leaving better than I found it.
Pick up any trash I see when hiking. But a lot of folks, this never crosses their mind.
I guess they perceive nature as so vast as to be infinite. So they assume their box of empty Coors or whatever is inconsequential. The impact their vehicle makes wouldnt even be worth arguing.

Given that we have to register at developed sites, I would be inclined to report a mess like you describe so that the authorities know who left their site that way.

You have to wonder sometimes what runs thru peoples minds, who would go off and leave trash/garbage strewn everywhere. 🙄