Diesel vs Petrol

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

<br />All things considered, do you figure a diesel-powered vehicle is more or less environmentally friendly than a petrol/gasoline-powered vehicle, and why?&nbsp;

Less in my opinion...although it is hard to measure on a day to day usage. First you have noise pollution. A diesel engine is commonly noisier in regards the combustion and mechanical noise and some exhaust systems are loud as well. Some of the newer engines are quieter in the main. We seldom consider things like noise, light and color pollution but as we increase our population it becomes more evident.<br /><br />As a diesel engine ages it will emit more solid particle waste as it runs...watch around you and see when someone driving either a large truck or any older diesel vehicle and watch the black smoke coming out the exhaust as they step on it like at a traffic light. In the US and Canada, the lower sulfur diesel oil is less polluting but most of the world has a higher sulfur content and more impurities. I believe there are different pollution standards on diesel in the US obtained by the huge trucking lobby as well.<br /><br />If someone were to use biodiesel for running their vehicle it would be far less polluting at least as far as hydrocarbon waste but I personally don't think that is possible for any serious travel. A "grease" set up would be much better but that is even less possible for the average traveler.<br /><br />There are other considerations, like much higher maintenance costs, and higher parts cost.<br /><br /> A couple advantages are longer engine life and excellent torque for towing. There is a mpg gain but in the US where diesel fuel is at least 30 cents a gallon more, sometimes more than that....I don't know how that plays out cost wise.<br /><br />There is a higher initial cost also....<br /><br />Anyone planning to do serious vehicle supported overlanding in other countries of the world, uses diesel fueled vehicles purely because of the availability of diesel. Wherever goods or people are moved around, there is diesel. There isn't always gasoline because in most of the world way fewer people own personal vehicles that run on it.<br /><br />Of course YMMV....<br />bri

There's a recent study from Berkely, though I'm not convinced the technique used was entirely worthwhile, that indicates diesel fumes are significantly worse as a greenhouse contrinutor than plain gasoline. From the technique used, I think they're stretching things a bit with their conclusions (25 times worse )&nbsp;in order to get - or validate previously disbursed&nbsp;- grant money.

Diesel engine last a long time so negate the replacement effect of gas. They are cheaper to run usually. Can run on bio-diesel and veg oil.<br />Although I dont really think turning food into fuel is green considering African Food riots and the rise in food cost and drop in standard of living turning corn <br />into ethenol has caused in recent years. I think until there is a shift in the population Thinking instead of just watching TV and repeating what someone else is saying then<br />GREEN isnt going to come into it. TRUE GREEN means going electric as it is much easier to Mass Produce Green Electricity than it is to figure out mobile technology.<br />Consumer Cars will have more choices but as far as moving a Truck around big enough to live in....Forget Green.<br />Just the livestyle itself is so much greener than the rest of America is living should make you feel good enough.

I didn't know any of this.&nbsp; I have a diesel van, I got it because my friend said I should, because it was better for the environment and I could run Bio-Diesel a renewable energy.<br /><br />Otherwise I know nothing.&nbsp; Thanks for making me smarter!

Anarquistador said:
<br />All things considered, do you figure a diesel-powered vehicle is more or less environmentally friendly than a petrol/gasoline-powered vehicle, and why?&nbsp;
<br /><br />It just depends on the situation. Diesel operates on a completely different, yet similar method to a gasoline powered engine. On the positive side, Diesel engines are much more mechanically sound than a normal gasoline engine and have less parts. The downside to an Diesel engine is fuel is between 4 and 5 dollars a gallon.&nbsp;<br /><br />If I were to buy a rig, I would prefer diesel over gas. Diesel engine produce more torque and towing power.&nbsp;<br />There are cars that have turbo-diesel engines that get incredible MPG's, there usually standard or sticks though. Like I said before, it just depends on the application and how you use it.&nbsp;<br /><br />Best Regards,<br /><br />Jake

Does anyone here remember Darryl Hannah and her GREEN WAYS?&nbsp; I think I remember hearing that she lived in a teepee for many yrs and still drive a Diesel which she fuels with fast food restaurant used grease collections.&nbsp; <br /><br />That sounds mighty GREEN... but... I just don't understand how it works.&nbsp; Can someone out there tell me how a diesel engine runs on dirty grease?

Bodhi said:
Does anyone here remember Darryl Hannah and her GREEN WAYS?&nbsp; I think I remember hearing that she lived in a teepee for many yrs and still drive a Diesel which she fuels with fast food restaurant used grease collections.&nbsp; &lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;That sounds mighty GREEN... but... I just don't understand how it works.&nbsp; Can someone out there tell me how a diesel engine runs on dirty grease?
<br /><br />http://www.ehow.com/how_5491775_convert-waste-cooking-oil-engine.html<br /><br /><a href="http://www.ehow.com/how_7605849_use-waste-oil-diesel-engine.html">http://www.ehow.com/how_7605849_use-waste-oil-diesel-engine.html</a><br /><br />[video]

Parrot<br /><br />"Because of their greater efficiency, plug-in electrics are responsible for about 30% fewer climate-changing greenhouse gases than conventional gasoline-powered cars, even if the electric vehicle is charged with a coal-fired power plant, according to a joint study by the Natural Resources Defense Council environmental group and the utility industry-sponsored Electric Power Research Institute."<br /><br />I'll leave you to look up the study online, if you're interested, but electricity may be green, but producing it isn't. It's better overall.<br /><br /><br /><br />

Seraphim said:
Parrot<br /><br />"Because of their greater efficiency, plug-in electrics are responsible for about 30% fewer climate-changing greenhouse gases than conventional gasoline-powered cars, even if the electric vehicle is charged with a coal-fired power plant, according to a joint study by the Natural Resources Defense Council environmental group and the utility industry-sponsored Electric Power Research Institute."<br /><br />I'll leave you to look up the study online, if you're interested, but electricity may be green, but producing it isn't. It's better overall.
<br /><br />Great! &nbsp;Now I just have to find out where I can get an electric van for $10k or less.<br /><br />

Good luck.<br /><br />Personally,&nbsp;I don't think they're at the stage where they are yet practical for the average consumer. Funding for research has not profitable, so it's been skimpy. Refueling is still the biggest problem: a lack of power ports limits the electric vehicle's usability.

<span style="text-align: left;"><span style="white-space: nowrap;">Anarquistador,</span><br /><br /><span style="white-space: nowrap;">The answer to this question depends a great deal on the engine and the vehicle in question. &nbsp;I've worked on a number of&nbsp;diesels and <br />I can tell you from experience that a Ford 350 with 150 pounds of lift at idle produces a hell of a lot more pollution than a &gt; 2 lt VW <br />TDI with 15 pounds of lift. &nbsp;</span><br /><br /><span style="white-space: nowrap;">The good news is that diesel fuels require a great deal less processing than MOGAS ever will. &nbsp;This leads to an environmental bonus <br />for the diesels, but one that is&nbsp;inconsistent&nbsp;and difficult to measure.</span><br /><br /><span style="white-space: nowrap;">I'd ask myself:</span><br /><br /><span style="white-space: nowrap;"><strong>How much time I spend at idle?</strong> &nbsp;Diesels produce a great deal more particulate and carbon&nbsp;emissions&nbsp;at idle than gas counterparts.<br /><strong>How handy am I with gas/diesel engine?</strong> &nbsp;The rest of the vehicles parts are going to be the same. &nbsp;If you know you can fix a lot of <br />minor problems on one fuel system or another its a point in that direction. &nbsp;Keep in mind that there are mechanics out there that will<br />refuse to work on a diesel and some that will only work on diesels of a particular sort. &nbsp;If you're a handy person you may not ever<br />need their help, but its always good think about this in advance.<br /><strong>How big of a diesel engine am I looking at?</strong> &nbsp;Bigger means more pollution generally. &nbsp;Look at the displacement and if there is a turbo <br />how much lift it gets when spun up.<br /><strong>Do I mind smelling like diesel exhaust from time to time?</strong> &nbsp;You know the smell you get when you walk into a Grey Hound station, <br />guess what, if you own a diesel from time to time you'll smell like that too (just without the hint of cleaner from the latrine).<br /><br />Good luck!</span></span>

I'm looking at a Dodge Sprinter 5cyl TDI (diesel).&nbsp; They are large vans that get high 20's to 32 mpg.&nbsp; That's double what one would get in a gas van of similar size.&nbsp; I currently have a Dodge Diesel truck and have grown fond of having diesel because of their power, gas savings, and ability to run to 1/2 million miles before being sent to the scrap yard.&nbsp; Diesels are less complicated engine wise and upkeep is less.&nbsp; In the scheme of things, diesel is much cleaner than it once was and with manufacturing of vehicles, fuels, and filling of junkyards, it may be where diesel's polluting margin is not that much greater than gas engines.&nbsp; This is not necessarily fact, but my opinion when you look at the BIG picture. <br /><br />With that aside, does anyone on here know of the quality history of a Sprinter?&nbsp; I'm still in the research phase.<br />&nbsp;Rae

The Sprinters are essentially Mercedes LTs. &nbsp;IIRC there are two engine options, I'd chose the one with the Mercedes 6 in it. &nbsp;They run forever, have plenty of power, and are the ones that get the amazing fuel economy.<br /><br />Just an FYI, having driven a high top diesel. &nbsp;Expect great mileage when the wind is from behind and plan for crappy mileage when the wind is in your nose.

Latest posts