Did You Serve ?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To all the Nam vets out there...I am of that era, my late husband did his share of time there...what a shame he (and many many others) never heard "thank you" before he/they died...in fact, the words flung at the Nam vets were ugly and shameful...no words now could possibly heal the damage done then...and the US government's refusal to address the health problems sustained by those who served there...and so very much more.

Before I say "Thank you for your service", I will say, "I'm sorry for how you were treated," though I fear it may be too little, too late.

Now if you'll excuse me, I shall retire to my little closet and once again, try to forget those times, and remember my brothers and sisters who, surely, still suffer from those dark days. Your suffering does not go unnoticed, nor is it unshared by those of us who remember.

Oh, and yes, Thank You :)

Starg, well said. The guys who fought in southeast asia never got their due. My fighting ashore was all in Central and South America. I did five tours down there and everytime I flew stateside we were required to fly out of uniform. Nothing has changed when it comes to the way the government takes care of vets. Suicide rates for Iraq and Af are approaching 8%. At least the public does a better job of supporting our fighters today.

Stargazer....thank you for this. Believe me when I say it is not too late.
For me a great thank you like that is much sweeter now than it would have been decades ago.

It was unheard of to be thanked when I came home. Slurs and name calling was common. It wasn't a joyous time.
My time in Danang was spent on the river, patrolling and inserting teams upriver. I've had boats shot out from under me and men killed more than a couple times. Nobody ever thought that doing those things were something to be thanked for.

I nearly fell over a few years back when a guy walked up, shook my hand and looked me in the eyes and said, "Thank you for your service, sir". I felt emotions I had never had, including a pride I'd never known for a part of my life I would have gladly forgotten.
Now, selective memory or whatever has blotted out a lot of my past. Sometimes I wish I could recall certain things. Maybe its better not knowing after all.

This might be a thread where folks might open up about things they may have been carrying around too long. It was for me.

US Army Cold War Warrior

Korea 87-88
CONUS 88-90
USAR 108th Div 90-2005

Contractor in Afghanistan 05-present

Well, lurking will no longer cut it. Thank you for your service that has allowed me to sit here in safety and comfort, benefiting from this forum. And from everything else.

V2B, you might be surprised at how much that means to some of us. Thank you

Stargazer really nailed it for me. I was too young to understand when the troops came home, but have been ashamed of the way the veterans of Vietnam were treated for decades.

Many years later, I married into a military family. It was peacetime then, but my husband was a green side corpsman so I got my share of coming home to an empty apt, 'go bag' missing and a note saying 'Deployed, call when I can'. I was working for Family Housing on Base then, both before and after 911, so I also got a taste of what it was like for the first vets coming back from Iran, and their families. It wasn't pretty.

All that said- To the Veterans of wars both past and present and to those who have kept the peace, thank you.

Danang (USAF) F-4 Phantoms 1970-71. Thanks to all my brothers and sisters that have served our great country. 12 years active duty - 45 years in aviation.

some really old vets here. very cool. Hope you are getting low cost care at the VA hospital. Of course dont trust them, cause its government misorganization. But low cost is to your benefit, versus no care.

Alright first I have to say "Thank You" to all of you that have served.

I tried to enlist many years ago...passed all of their tests with flying colors..could choose any field I wanted..... But I could never make the weight requirement. At the time 105 was the best I could do and 90ish was normal....they wanted 120. By the time I could weigh enough I was way too old.

So instead I raised my son with the idea to serve.... He's an Iraq Veteran and now Army Reserve.

Latest posts