Details, please, about vent installation

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrNoodly

Reaction score
The one thing that has me hesitating about installing a vent in my van is the fact the vent is flat and the roof isn't. There's a correct way to deal with this, but I'm not sure I've figured it out. So it would be great if those with successful experience could help me.<br><br>The Fantastic Vent comes with a spongy gasket. Okay, that can fill part of the low part running down the center of my Chevy van's roof. I also have the vent installation tape. I suppose I can build up the low spot with several layers of the stuff. And there's the self-leveling caulk, which if slathered on thick enough, should fill the nooks and crannies.&nbsp;<br><br>So far so good?<br><br>But part of me wants to get the big, wide, metalworking vise grips and try to flatten out the roof in the area of the hole. Since I haven't found any mention of that being done, is it not at all necessary?<br><br>Does tightening the screws distort the vent flange and/or roof enough to make sealing easy?<br><br>What's the scoop, amigos and amigas?<br><br>(Oh, and if your van had a ribless area designed for vents, thanks, but your experience isn't really relevant to my situation.)

Great question..I have been pondering the same thing before I install my vent..no ribless area for me either

you would think they would make a piece to seal that for specific vans

i'm putting mine in the back door window space...just couldn't cut that big hole in the roof.

Looking at your photo posts I think you could make a nice flat perimeter around the cut out by using a hammer and anvil. (No, not one of those blacksmith anvils!) You could custme fit some wood to the contours of your roof. Maybe built up some epoxy body filler.

i installed mine with the help of a body shop friend. <br><br>i had previously seen someone install theirs by making an oak frame that followed the contours of the ribs. he scribed them to the oak so he could cut them out exact. lots of work jsut to have a flat surface to mount a fan to.<br><br>when i went to my friend at the body shop and explained this, he said no need to bother. the ribs are not as high as they look. the material used to seal the frame of the fantastic fan can easily span the gap and seal it up. the screws then go through the sheet metal to hold it down. the trim piece that they give you is huge and can work with a very thick roof. once cut to size it, perfectly trims out the opening against whatever roof material you have inside. it then fastens to the main body of the fan with 4 screws so it does provide some clamping pressure.<br><br>i had the gasket from the fanastic fan and a fan installation kit from Camping World and used neither.<br><br>the star here is the material he used. 3M Windo-Weld. its what is used to install your windshield and fixed side windows on vans and cars. it is even used on some GM vehicles that have windows that tilt out, in lieu of hinges. thats right, half the window is held on by this material which when cured remains flexible to be used as a hinge itself. only other piece holding it is the latch.&nbsp; the stuff can also be used to attach trim and other things to a vehicle.<br><br>the 3M Windo-Weld was placed in a bead around the 14x14 opening, liberaly, then the fan/frame was dropped into place. pressure was placed on the frame to allow the stuff to squeeze out. the screws were then added, securing the frame. another bead was run around the perimeter, about an inch beyond (kept in check with blue masking tape). the stuff was also painted with a brush (another neat feature of the stuff) on top of the frame, about an inch wide again, covering each screw head.<br><br>how has it performed? today i had to add a little more of the stuff to the rear side of the frame. due to the tilt of the van (rear is slightly higher than front) and slight tilt of driveway, water sits in one of the valleys created by the roof ribs, right up against the frame of the fan.&nbsp; i noticed a drip yesterday during a rain storm.<br><br>so i went up and inspected everything and found where my buddy simply missed a spot which was compounded by the standing water.<br><br>it took almost two years to develop a drip. and where i live was slammed by Sandy (during which i had no water intrusion).<br><br>the fix was easy, i simply added some to the spot he missed and built it out a little bit in a way that would allow the water to run off. <br><br>the rest of the material that was used two years ago is still in perfect shape and still pliable. it is amazing stuff and i swear by it.<br><br>one caveat, it is incredibly hard to get off of your hands and clothing. use gloves. and wipe down your tools because it just gets everywhere. a small spot of the stuff where you dont want it will spread itself all over. it comes easily off of metal when its still wet though.<br><br>my installation also includes a maxxair 2 rain cover. i can have the vent open and the fan running in any weather. its incredible, even during Sandy i had it open.<br><br>tomorrow i will take photos. i did not want to touch the camera with that stuff all over my hands.

i forgot to mention, if you center the fantastic fan, it will center itself on the ribs. so the left and right side of the frame are both on top of a "high" rib. the spot i chose also happens to fit evenly, edge to edge on the aforementioned "high" rib. mine is a few inches forward of the roof beam that is located between the two side barn doors.<br><br>if you move forward or backward of this location, your frame may overlap or fall short of the edge of the "high" ribs since the roof is tapered.<br><br>however, you would have to drastically move it to miss.<br><br>hard to explain but i will post photos to clear it up.

Thanks for the good info! I'll be checking with a nearby auto glass place to see what they can do for me.<br><br>Because of the location of my roof rack and solar panel, and the structural ribs, the vent will be going just behind the passenger compartment.

ya thats where mine is. check for roof beam..you would want to go between them so you dont cut them.<br><br>on my chevy there is a roof beam right behind the seats and the next one is like 22" or so away and bisects the barn doors. i put my fan betwen them.&nbsp; the trim pieces was a tight fit on the front side where i have my bulkhead but it worked out.

if you go that route the 3M super fast urethane Windo-Weld 08609 is available at Autozone and other places....<br><br>i cant bring it up on autozones site though.&nbsp; if i remember it was like $18??