Details on the Mr. Heater carbon monoxide death in Washington

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrNoodly

Reaction score
Ventilation is essential. IMO also using short run times is a good plan. The buddy heater can do it's job in a few minutes, then save the fuel by turning it off.  Never sleep with it on.    ~crofter

this incident falls under the category.....a fool and his life may soon be parted.
Safety features are there for a reason, safe use operation instructions are also there for a reason.
They are both created to help prevent accidents and injuries to the person using equipment.

I am renting a stationary RV and it has a propane heater. I don't like it but it's too cold without it. I did buy a Carbon Monoxide detector and have the window cracked a tiny bit. Does that sound safe?

Here's a video of a guy who tested a Mr. Heater Portable Buddy propane heater in his camper, both with a little ventilation and without. Watch it and read the comments, then form your own opinion.

I use a similar Mr-Buddy single burner propane heater in my small unheated shop (8'x18') when I need to work on something. This room is an enclosed area at the front of my unheated garage. On a 25* day, I can have that area heated up to the point of taking my coat off withing 1/2 hour while on the low heater setting. I can't imagine trying to sleep with one. After an hour, I am letting in cold air from the garage, and the fumes are noticable in the house.

There is a difference between a heater and a furnace. RV's have a furnace and vents fumes to the outside with a thermostat. I run 3 detectors, a CO detector near the bed, a propane detector near the floor and a smoke detector near the ceiling by the kitchen (yes, it does go off while cooking sometimes).

With an externally vented propane furnace, I don't open a window or ceiling vent and have never had a problem. This is really no different than a furnace in a house other than it is a smaller space.

Adventuregurl it really depends on the type of heater you're talking about. is this the factory furnace in the RV? if it is then B and C is correct. highdesertranger

Windows cracked when running a heater always. I have never had a problem with mine being gassy.  -crofter

I have 2 carbon monoxide detectors in my rig, without those I would be too paranoid to run my catalytic heater all night.