Denver new laws against over-nighting stealth

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Yukon

Reaction score
Stealth camping and even at Wal-Mart may now get you jail time. If traveling to Denver you may want to open the link and read it.

Denver's city government just lost some more of its marbles
http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot...:+BayouRenaissanceMan+(Bayou+Renaissance+Man)

Class 2 offenses, which carry a maximum 60-day jail sentence and no fine.

Sitting or lying in the public right-of-way
Unauthorized camping on public or private property prohibited
Urinating or defecating in public
Panhandling
Curfews and closures
Storage and loading
Prohibitions
Solicitation on or near street or highway

Stealth has always been about not following potential rules? That won't change. The above looks more like they are tired of homeless camps and such, as are all cities, but they enforce it when they feel like it, it seems.

Fortunately, Denver makes up only part of the Denver metro area. I stayed in a park & ride lot in Morrison last week. Absolutely no trouble. And there's a cluster of park & ride lots at exit 259 off I-70. I think it's county land. Many overnighters there.

Mike Yukon said:
Stealth camping and even at Wal-Mart may now get you jail time. If traveling to Denver you may want to open the link and read it.
 <-------->
Class 2 offenses, which carry a maximum 60-day jail sentence and no fine.
Which could very easily result in loosing your van or motorhome to stiff fee's resulting from 60 days of impoundment.

Well, lots of cities have laws against overnighting. The real question is how they enforce it. I've overnighted in many Walmarts where it was against city ordinance. It's not an issue if Walmart doesn't choose to enforce it.

Usually laws like this are aimed at homeless people, so if you practice some stealth and stay unnoticed, you'll likely not be bothered. But it does depend upon how the law is enforced.

I am not a lawyer, but I don't see the issue. So far, all you need to be is authorized to stealth camp. Also, don't take a nap on the grass between lanes of a road, as if you were inclined to do so what with having a perfectly good vehicle.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

"Sitting or lying in the public right-of-way"
So, not really a right-of-way for the public, eh?
lenny flank said:
Usually laws like this are aimed at homeless people, ...
Which fulltimers are.

mayble said:
Which fulltimers are.

No, as a full-timer I am not homeless. I am homefree but not homeless. Big difference!

I also have a legal place of residence because everyone from the feds on down to the bank and the library don't understand the concept of not having a S&B to call home. They all want an address to fill in their records with. We all comply with their needs by having a mailing address. Mine will soon become my youngest son's address. At the moment it is a friends' place - he forwards my mail whenever I land someplace long enough to have it sent. Some use professional mailing services that can legally provide a 'place of residence'.

My point is, homeless is open to interpretation and a full time traveler certainly qualifies by many standards.   A "homeless" person also generally has a legal place of residence - it may be in a different state and he/she may not be welcome there, but there's a record of them somewhere and unless you establish another residence it still exists.

And what the hell does it even mean to "LOOK like homeless"?  Dirty and unkempt?  Drunk?  Crazy?  There are plenty of those in housing, and plenty of "homeless" who shower and go to work every day.

An RV or van camper is no more "homeless" than is a backpacker or hiker on the trail.

mayble said:
"Sitting or lying in the public right-of-way"
So, not really a right-of-way for the public, eh?

I think this is one of those "enjoy with your eyes, not with your touching" things that I am often reminding children that we adults seem to amass.

Open to anyone in the public to view whenever they want. Just not to touch.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

It sounds like Denver is actually reducing penalties for things like unauthorized camping. And wouldn't overnighting in a Walmart parking lot be considered authorized camping?

Since this thread is about a government making laws regarding homeless individuals, be aware that the definition of "homeless" by most federal agencies includes people dwelling in vehicles.

In my previous occupation, I had to do homeless surveys using both HUD and HHS guidelines, and people living in vehicles are counted as homeless, as are people living in hotels/motels/shelters/transitional programs... I agree it's a poor descriptor, but one to be aware of when you're trying for urban stealth.

Ahh see, I won't ever do urban stealth! Therein lies a big difference.

I don't put myself in a position where there would ever be anyone interested in  doing a survey of my living accommodations, that's for city folks.... :D and if anyone did, they'd be given my permanent address as my home.

I travel endlessly, staying as little or as long in one spot as I choose!

Queen said:
Since this thread is about a government making laws regarding homeless individuals, be aware that the definition of "homeless" by most federal agencies includes people dwelling in vehicles.

How does this apply to those that full time in their RV, but still own a regular home. I'd never give up my home even when full time traveling, be it 6 months, 5 years, or more. Downsize yes, eliminate no.

I'm not sure a court could get away with charging me as homeless if I still own a home. Perhaps a perpetual traveler, but not homeless.

If you have a permanent home address you would be a traveler, not homeless.

Latest posts