Dealing with critters

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steveb.

Reaction score
Two weeks to go....
I'm paranoid about varmints getting into my engine compartment.

I plan to set traps.  What has anyone found works at keeping rodents out?

Thank you,
Steve

Ive had mice get in under the hood when a vehicle sets much. Theyve filled the air cleaner with bird seed or dog food now and then. Pack rats are evil little beggars, and I terminate them with extreme prejudice at first opportunity. They can be quite destructive of wiring, and can make the rig stink to high heaven in short order. Vile creatures.

I recommend not annoying the black and white striped catlike animals that one may find in camp or out of town, just a calm discussion and politely ask them to move along. You wouldnt like them if they get scared or annoyed.

Dogs often will keep unwanted critters away, but you need to train them not to get close to the above mentioned black and white striped catlike creatures.

Steveb. said:
Two weeks to go....
I'm paranoid about varmints getting into my engine compartment.

I plan to set traps.  What has anyone found works at keeping rodents out?

Thank you,
Steve

Traps work when one has gotten in, but do little to deter them from getting in in the first place.

The received wisdom is to light the underside of your van at night. This can be done by placing solar lights near each wheel well. I've also seen people placing a light string perimeter around their vehicle. 

Another thing you will see is people keeping their hoods open.

If a little critter wants to set up house, the idea is that they will leave if they think there's too much light.

Does it work? Dunno, but I do it.

One of the RVs that was staying wherebI have been camping this epweek has a large LED lit cross in front of his radiator, string lights underneath and along the sides that stay on all night. Plus hevset up a marine Corps flag in front and an American flag at the rear. Keeping out 2 and 4 legged unwanted visitors asvwell as evil spirits. Has all the bases covered except for an arial attack. :p

Slow2day - I have heard that lights in the engine compartment scare the varmints away. I have no experience with them. I’ve had experience with porcupines chewing brake lines in our campground. Lights seem to work with them. Harbor freight has some cheap motion sensor lights that work on AAA batteries they have magnetic mounts on them I would think a couple of them under the hood might work to scare off critters. It’s worth a try they’re not expensive.

They do get used to motion detectors pretty quickly though.

Personally I like feeding them projectiles.

I deal with pack rats and field mice constantly. They can do some crazy damage to a vehicle overnight. Three things to help stop them. Pop the hood, use led light strips, and set a few rat traps around the engine bay. Over the past 11 years I have had my vehicles disabled by pack rats 6 times. If I am not strict about using these measures they always get me in the SW here.

dang tripper. you have some bad luck with them critters. I know I need another camp dog. I have been looking but 95% of all dogs now a days seem to be chihuahuas or pit bull or a mix of them. highdesertranger

A chihuahua will easily fit under the hood of your truck.

Between those black and white cat-like creatures and strange canine mixes, y'all are killin' me here! :) 

While cooking at the side of the van, I went around to the back where the doors had stood open.  A bird flew out, dragging a bit of nesting material with it.  A pretty good start on a nest had been made up against the wheel well by what must have been a very efficient team.  You can bet I had a good look with the flashlight before reaching in there in case it was a pack rat afterall!

Feral cats are the worst. They will destroy a lot of property in a short amount of time. I once left my topper open for a few minutes, and a feral cat jumped in there and sprayed. I was never able to get rid of the smell. Yuk. Thousands of dollars down the drain right there. Then there is the whole clawing it up thing they do, as well as rip out any flexible ducting you may have underneath. 

I do not think feral cats chew wires, the wire and hose damage is rodents. I once left a pickup on the mountain over winter, and what a mistake that was. I think the attraction was something in the rubber, but the thing ate two hoses and the ignition wiring. Once repaired, the truck started and ran fine. Never did find that rodent, but I'm sure all that rubber and plastic did it in. 
~crofter