Dash Cameras

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
highdesertranger said:
if the car is only valued at 200 bucks,  that's all the insurance company is going to give you.  how is that going to get you a new car?  for heavens sakes just get a job and buy a new car.  highdesertranger

you get the kind of comp and collision insurance that lets you set the value of the car, or you claim the car is of much greater value than what Blue Book says, due to a spotless drivetrain and or $ $3,000 of customizations if they let you bundle that in in the policy.

Back on topic:
For those who need to save every cent either because of a savings experiment, or you're that poor. Look up the Pasonami Dash Camera on amazon.com. It looks identical to the Pilot Automotive Dash Camera but is $12 cheaper, enough to buy a memory card with the savings.

well if you try to tell the insurance company that your 200 buck car is worth 3k. that's fraud, and the insurance company is not that dump they are going to want to see that car. also your premiums are not going to be cheap. it's better to just be honest and not try to hustle the insurance company. highdesertranger

debit.servus said:
you get the kind of comp and collision insurance that lets you set the value of the car, or you claim the car is of much greater value than what Blue Book says, due to a spotless drivetrain and or $ $3,000 of customizations if they let you bundle that in in the policy.

Back on topic:
For those who need to save every cent either because of a savings experiment, or you're that poor. Look up the Pasonami Dash Camera on amazon.com. It looks identical to the Pilot Automotive Dash Camera but is $12 cheaper, enough to buy a memory card with the savings.

That's exactly the kind of scam that'll land you in the big Stony Lonesome for 5 to 10.  Insurance companies have teams of lawyers and investigators just itching to sink their teeth into a scenario like that.  Ain't worth it.

highdesertranger said:
well if you try to tell the insurance company that your 200 buck car is worth 3k.  that's fraud,  and the insurance company is not that dump they are going to want to see that car.  also your premiums are not going to be cheap.  it's better to just be honest and not try to hustle the insurance company.  highdesertranger
Many times a car is valued so cheap or so expensive because the buyers or sellers want something for nothing. Plus what if you do have customizations which would retail at $3000 or more? Some people are so poor as to not be able to afford to pay a 100% deductable (afford to buy another car), it's easier to pay higher premiums post-claim while having a new ride.

Back On Topic Please:
Here is the sub-$100 dual channel dash camera I forgot to add in to my last post: https://dashcamtalk.com/blacksys-cf-100/

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G30WOT6 Pasonami Dash Camera
https://dashcamtalk.com/blacksys-cf-100/

Great to see people getting on board and getting one of these things. I bought an 'el cheapo' 7 years ago for $50 at my local computer store. The battery died shortly but I have the unit plugged in permanently and will come on and off as I use the van. I once had a pretty close call with a deer that narrowly missed my hood, but other than that thankfully I have never ever needed it. Once this one kicks the bucket I will look for something with rear view as well. There are way too many tailgaters on the highway these days! This isn't NASCAR people!
Since getting mine, three co-workers have picked up cameras for their cars. Eventually it will be standard equip in all cars.

I wasted money before researching more on one of these. The first one although it would work was a bother, kept recycling. I got this inexpensive model back in April of this year, and it's been great so far. Even standing up to HOT Louisiana heat. http://amzn.to/2b0DfpC

I got it because my father had a medical emergency while driving (he passed away from the incident). There is so much legal bs going on now that a simple dash cam would have prevented.