Cutting hole through floor of van for portable A/C exhaust?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debit.servus

Reaction score
Dreamed of owning a portable A/C for a long time, finally acquired it this month. Ever since setting it up I have been thinking of fiddle free & frustration free hose exhaust solution. Many people port their portable A/C hoses through the passenger side window. That is not for me as fitting the hose and removing it every time somebody rides with me gets old fast.

Out of all the possibilities I thought of, porting the hot exhaust air through a hole in the metal van floor looks like the best option. The only downside I can think of is the hot air pooling under the van on still air days, conducting back into the van, making the A/C work harder.

The reason I am creating this thread is because I want to hear from other people who accomplished this and how they like it. Also, any downsides I didn't think of please to porting the portable A/C hose through a metal van floor.

While driving, fumes will enter the van from that source.  That is also why you do not open a back window while driving.

GotSmart is right about the fumes.  But there are ways around that.

What's the diameter of the hose?

If I was doing it, I'd get some PVC pipe the right diameter with threads on it, put THAT through the floor, and seal it with a pipe cap when it was not in use.

I'd also want to screen the end that sticks out to keep bugs and mice and such from using it to get in.

Regards
Johbn

The portable A/C came with a piece to to go through a door/thin wall for permanent exhaust settings. It has a cap to close when not in use. That would be in the hole in the floor. I might have to run the portable A/C next summer while travelling (if the built in a/c system cant be recharged) and porting the exhaust through the floor means that on the road it blows with the engine waste heat.

As for fumes, I have a CO detector which was tested a week ago. It will go off if there are dangerous levels of exhaust in the back of the van.

Occurs to me that in those times when you're not actively using the opening to vent AC, and you have a vent fan in the ceiling, that would make a great source for fresh air. Exhausting the warm air out the roof and drawing cooler, shaded air in through the floor during the day and just fresh air period at night.

The other question, has anybody else ported a portable A/C through the van floor? Please share photos of the exhaust hole.

Vent is installed:
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Ru...cess/2015-Nov-25 Exhaust hole for portable AC"></iframe>

Virtually silent outside when A/C is running, have to get up close in order to hear anything. Now to quiet the loud PREDATOR (from HFT) 3200/4000W genset so that it's only noticeable a parking spot of two away.
My only concern is during the summer the hot exhaust air, might do some kind of damage to the transmission. Or the plastic vent will melt due to engine heat.

P.S.: That dirt on the transmission is playa dust from Black Rock City.

Tools Required to cut an portable A/C exhaust hole in the floor of a van:
Power Drill
5" (or whatever diameter the portable AC duct is) Hole saw capable of cutting through metal
Wire brush, here is one that can attach to a powerdrill http://www.harborfreight.com/6-piece-wire-wheel-and-cup-brush-set-1341.html
Angle Grinder with grinding wheel

The hole saw I had wasn't made to cut through metal, so the teeth ground away fast. I ended up rough cutting the hole with the angle grinder, trying not to cut outside of the circle I marked on the floor. The angle grinder made short work of cutting a rough hole, which was round out to be as circular as possible. Two times during the rounding out process, I placed the vent over the hole to see where to grind away next. Finally fitted the vent piece in decently, then took it out to to use the wire wheel to grind away all sharp and rough edges. In this step I rounded out even more, interlaced with feeling for sharp edges.

I then placed the vent into the hole, and marked with the powerdrill where the screws go. Removed the plastic vent, drilled the holes where the self-tapping screws go in to hold down the vent and make it flush with the floor. Placed the plastic vent inside again, removed it to re-drill one hole since I was off on it; then placed the vent inside for the last time. Took the screws, pushing down to prevent head strippage (Tip: pre-tap the self-tapping screws if one does not want to press down), and secured the plastic portable A/C exhaust vent in place.

I feel really proud about this. Not only will I no longer need to place the exhaust hose in and out of the passenger-side window, I have cut my first permanent hole into the van.

Sure hope you followed the advice about a critter screen....I'd use some heavy duty hardware cloth.
Let us know if you have any fume issues.

The transmission will get waaaaaay hotter than anything that AC unit can put out. It may *cool* the trans. :D

yeah and all that transmission heat is going to go right up that vent unless that AC is on. highdesertranger

I've hoped to find a way to do this with a window unit (Frigidaire makes a really small one with a slow-start capacitor). I think my decision was to pull air from under the van and exhaust it out the front windows.

Does the system work well for you? I intend to have a generator and portable AC in my van also. But I was told that portable AC doesn't work very well. I don't mind venting the hot air through the window, also it is trouble sometime to take it off and put it on each time. I don't have much choice, I guess.

New Comer said:
Does the system work well for you? I intend to have a generator and portable AC in my van also. But I was told that portable AC doesn't work very well. I don't mind venting the hot air through the window, also it is trouble sometime to take it off and put it on each time. I don't have much choice, I guess.

My thought was to install a bulkhead between the cockpit and cargo area (like a cargo van)) and use the cockpit as the outside air. Make some ductwork so that the intake air comes from the ventilation system and let the hot air bubble out the windows (screened and under rain guards). I don't actually have a van, so I don't know how practical it is.

A more popular solution is to put a window unit in the rear window. That would be cheap and efficient, just not very stealthy. Many people find the portable units with hoses to be weak, expensive, and inefficient. Especially the single-hose versions.

highdesertranger said:
yeah and all that transmission heat  is going to go right up that vent unless that AC is on.  highdesertranger
     A little bit.
ascii_man said:
I've hoped to find a way to do this with a window unit (Frigidaire makes a really small one with a slow-start capacitor).  I think my decision was to pull air from under the van and exhaust it out the front windows.
     I am sure it could be accomplished. I am thinking a box built around the hot side with two ducts into the box. The first duct is an intake duct with a forced duct fan for intake, pushing in outside air and the second duct exhausing the hot air. Has anybody configured a window A/C to be housed like this?

There is also hide-it-behind-a-spare-tire on the back door trick that other vandwellers use, which requires modifying the tire mount, cutting a hole in the rear door and installing a housing. A/Cs are best installed up high because cold falls. If the A/C can only be installed on the floor, get a unit that louvers the air upwards or build/buy an louver to bounce the air upwards from the cold side.
New Comer said:
     Haven't really used it since I installed the floor port. The only downside of porting through the floor is on still air days, the hot air pooling under the van and conducting back inside, making the A/C less efficient. One could install PVC pipe under a van to port the exhaust to the side, preventing pooling. Still reccommend it because it saves one lots of effort mounting the exhaust hose in and out of the passenger-side window and is stealthy. The exhaust hose is semi-rigid and a space hog, so porting the exhaust hose as close to the portable A/C unit as possible is going to save a lot of space.
ascii_man said:
My thought was to install a bulkhead between the cockpit and cargo area (like a cargo van)) and use the cockpit as the outside air.  Make some ductwork so that the intake air comes from the ventilation system and let the hot air bubble out the windows (screened and under rain guards).  I don't actually have a van, so I don't know how practical it is.

A more popular solution is to put a window unit in the rear window.  That would be cheap and efficient, just not very stealthy.  Many people find the portable units with hoses to be weak, expensive, and inefficient.  Especially the single-hose versions.
     If efficiency is most important get the window unit and have a means to camoflauge it outside or have a means to port it from the inside, preferrably with two ducts (one intake, one exhaust). If one goes the ducting route, put a duct fan in the intake duct to maximize heat transfer.

I like the portables because of the air exchange they provide, which helps freshen up a space without a roof vent. They make a great substitute for vans with a busted built-in mechanical A/C system. The smallest affordable portable A/C unit i've seen is the HAIER 8000 BTU portable A/C in big box stores. They can be had for $240 near the end of summer, and lower on Craigslist in late fall and winter.

debit.servus said:
     There is also hide-it-behind-a-spare-tire on the back door trick that other vandwellers use, which requires modifying the tire mount, cutting a hole in the rear door and installing a housing. A/Cs are best installed up high because cold falls. If the A/C can only be installed on the floor, get a unit that louvers the air upwards or build/buy an louver to bounce the air upwards from the cold side.

That's a great idea. Rear-mounted spares seem to be pretty rare on conversion vans from the 1990's and later, but it can be added later. Carefully, though, as I've seen people damage their vans with low-quality tire mounts.