Couples - what did you choose

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gourdgirl

Reaction score
There’s a possibility I won’t be going solo. If that happens, we are waffling between a Class A and C. I’m more inclined to want to boondock on BLM and NF land. He’s more inclined to want hookups. So we will compromise and do some of both. I need space if traveling with someone so I can have private time and not end up in jail for manslaughter.  :angel:  

We’ve toured a few models. We started with the idea of a Class B and B+ but they are too small. So it’s perhaps a larger C with at least a queen bed or an A. He wants bunks for grandkids but honestly I don’t think they would meet up with us that often. 

Would love to hear from other couples on what you found worked best for you.

we got '34 toyhauler. 30 ft box living is as low as the 2 of us could go :) we boondock a ton, we campsite at cgs a bunch if needed, we state park mostly etc.....master bed as a private space, back of rv open for 'living room' and other private space away from the other person when required. and yes it is required at times HAHA
we have toys we bring like kayaks so this is needed for us but we went trailer vs. C etc. cause we needed a toyhauler. So we got it all literally that we wanted in a tag along vs. motorized. Have you considered tag along at all or do you want just 1 vehicle. If you break up camp cause you decided to hold a longer term like 2 weeks in a state park, you have to disconnect, break it all down to travel again so this was a big factor for us cause we weren't going there. Depends on what your 'camp' style will be. Going full stealth type, little this and that, place to unhitch a trailer and wander in the tow vehicle? So many things to decide LOL but make sure at all times you do take time to make the vehicle suit your needs of how ya wanna roll.

I'm not a 'couple' so I'm not in your target group, but the whole 'grandkids might take a trip with us' is mostly a ruse...

Yeah, I know it happens with some families, but most kiddos just don't want to take long road trips with 'old people' for more than a day or two, if that.

And if I'm wrong, take them out on a 2 week trip during nice weather, and let them sleep in a cheap tent just outside the rig...they will have lots more fun that way!

In other words, I would not base a buying decision of that magnitude on a couple of kids who might travel with you for 1 or 2 weeks a year. 

On the other hand, most 'bunkhouse' models can accommodate a lot of storage containers in the bunk area....so its not a total waste of time to consider one.

WanderingRose said:
It sounds like you have mutually exclusive wants and needs.

I’d get that sorted out before putting any money into an RV.
Not mutually exclusive. He’s happy to boondock just not all the time. I’m cool with RV parks on occasion just not as a rule. So I think we can compromise and find a happy medium. I just don’t want something so big that we are excluded from a majority of NPs.

tx2sturgis said:
I'm not a 'couple' so I'm not in your target group, but the whole 'grandkids might take a trip with us' is mostly a ruse...
Yeah I agree re grandkids. They are little now so tenting alone isn’t an option. But once we are out of the area they won’t be meeting up with us often anyway.

RoamerRV428 said:
we got '34 toyhauler.  30 ft box living is as low as the 2 of us could go :) ....
We won’t have toys except perhaps for a kayak. And I lean towards having a toad for getting around as opposed to buying a truck to tow something.

Nothing seems to be perfect. I’ve had trailers of every size From a tiny 10 footer to a 34 footer. I’ve had a B plus that was awesome but not for two. I had two class As. We are in a big A now towing a trailer with our UTV in it. It’s big enough but still not perfect as the only vehicle we have to drive around in is the UTV. It’s great for local here in AZ because you can drive them in the street but we have nothing to use to drive out any further. With all this it seems we also need a car.

Get a Clam type of shelter. That can be setup quickly for some alone time. You can take turns using it.

maki2 said:
Get a Clam type of shelter. That can be setup quickly for some alone time. You can take turns using it.
Outside of the box thinking.
Safe space or Time out.
Cool Hand Luke, "And one in the box!"

gourdgirl said:
Not mutually exclusive. He’s happy to boondock just not all the time. I’m cool with RV parks on occasion just not as a rule. So I think we can compromise and find a happy medium. I just don’t want something so big that we are excluded from a majority of NPs.

I would stay away from a Class A, then, and lean toward a C.

You have a lot more site flexibility when on the small side.

Our first RV was a Class C, and tho crowded we took four young grandkids camping with us and on extended trips many times.

They had an absolute blast. Loved to go, loved the novelty, the outdoors, campfires, etc., so don’t rule that out.

Little ones can double up in a bed meant for adults, and sleep well in all manner of small spaces.

There are small class As too and some class Cs are giant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Consider a Safari Trek. They are class A and usually around 30 ft. They come in three flavors:
1. Isuzu NPR Chassis with a very small 4-banger diesel.
2. Chevy P-30 with a 6.5L V8 GM Diesel. I don't think these are turbocharged.
3. Chevy P-30 with a V8 gasser.

Owners of #1 love them as they sip fuel but don't climb grades well.
the P-30's are pretty common for a chassis for older coaches, and parts are easy to get.

The key here is Safari coaches have better built houses. There is no particle board, anywhere. This is good for people with chemical sensitivities. The cabinets are all handmade out of Oregon Alder.

I have a '96 Safari Sahara. It is 35' and is a Caterpillar powered Diesel Pusher with a 6 speed Allison automatic. We love it and it is perfect for us as it has a large bathroom with a washer/dryer and a large enough bedroom to have a king bed, which we added. It has no slides but doesn't really need it. It's like a Tardis, Bigger on the inside than the outside. The basement is huge. We really could live in this coach.

The DP's are built on a Safari designed "Magnum" frame that is designed to work with the house, so no cutting and welding to make it fit like most coaches. Othe rmakes actually used their frame too, like Beaver, which is also a good older coach.
Stick with 1996-2000. Older they were not on the Magnum chassis and were sort of prototypes, but they have a non electronic cummins if that is a plus for you. After 2000 they are built by Monaco.
Lastly, consider Diesel. Diesel is a lubricant, Gasoline is a solvent. That's why semi's run so long.

Our coach weighs 9 Tons and gets 9-10 MPG, and I usually cruise at 70. It is a breeze to drive, after you get used to it.

These can be had from $15K - 30K in all conditions. They have a single sheet of fiberglass for a roof, so seams are minimal and no rubber to dry out.

We boondocked for 5 months last year in a 36ft Class A. Whatever you purchase make sure it has plenty of cargo carrying capacity ( a tag axle helps) - at least 3,000 lbs but the larger the better and large holding tanks. Water is heavy and we find ourselves going through about 110 gallons of water in 2 weeks, so if you have solar this will probably be your limiting factor in the amount of time you can stay off grid.

Chip

………….and WE Full-time in a long and tall Ford Transit van...…..Cozy but it's nice......add a couple cats too !

So many good RVs have gone bye bye with Forest River and Thor buying up everything. Quality starts dropping pretty quickly then. You really have to shop and know what you are getting.

Whatever you do make sure it’s not a Forest River or Thor built vehicle.

A big class C. or A will start about $75,000, and go up from there. That amount of money will buy you a new 30 pull behind (slideout)camper, and a new F150. with no "toad" required, and the use of the truck for the home time.

Are you planning to buy new?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couple dynamics and space requirements are really different things, although I believe you are wise to consider both.

Personally, I can't see how a larger RV provides much additional "space" in terms of a relationship.  A clear understanding of your individual and combined needs as they vary from time to time is what really does that, IMO.  With comfortable boundaries in place and lots of mutual respect, having two sides to the bed and a curtain between the front and back is enough separation for us when the need arises.  Sometimes, I need a good, brisk walk to clear my head, feel untethered and feed the explorer inside.  Even a larger abode can't fill that need--I have to get out.  Sometimes, my spouse does too.

We are not full timers, but have traveled through life together for over 40 years.  The two of us have been very comfortable in our cozy nest of a van for extended periods, and can't imagine a better fit.  I think it would be very important to feel like you have room on board for activities that make your heart sing, though.  Oh, and headphones (LOL).  Just sayin'...