Corrugated Aluminium vs Fiberglass RV

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old_Mil

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to this but will be full timing it in an RV starting in May.  The good news is I have the campsite set (full services), just don't have the RV yet.  I've dealt with the gelcoat/fiberglass delamination issue before on boats and am more than a little skeptical of that construction method for something that is going to be bouncing up and down our roads.

An airstream is prohibitively expensive, I can't find an avion close by, and I don't have the time or skill set to rehab an old silver streak.

Any downsides to picking a corrugated aluminium class A or trailer?

Any recommendations on one that has a good bathroom with shower, reasonable accomodations (20-27 feet) and preferably metal (not wood) framed?

I can tell you you don’t want a Grey Wolf or Cherokee by Forest River for sure. We bought a new one in 2019 with no slides, old style corrugated metal siding, wood framing 25’ long for $18,000. It is falling apart just sitting in the Arizona sun. Barth made a few trailers that were all aluminum starting in the 1970’s. There is still an owners forum mainly for motor homes. They have a for sale listing at Barthmobile.com. That sometimes has a trailer listed. They are pretty much unknown by the majority of people today. My 1983 28’ P32 Chevy chassis motor home that I bought in 2002 for $11,500 restored had a new air conditioner installed and the tech was amazed that after over 100,000 road miles the aluminum framed opening was square and level, he had no problem sealing the unit. The only body problems we have had are the large cargo doors which trailers don’t have. If you are going to restore something, you don’t want to pay a premium price and you want something better built than an Air Stream I would recommend you look for a Barth. By the way all my cabinets are the original cherry hard wood and after 40 years still in good shape. Mine will probably be up for sale in 4 years for a $1 but will need the drive train rebuilt before it moves under it’s own power!

Hmmm. Molded fiberglass trailers have an excellent rep for longevity. Mine is 21 years old and doing fine. It's the stick and staple kind that leak and fall apart, no matter what kind of siding they have.

We have always had the molded fiberglass/gelcoat RVs, because I think they look better. The key to keeping any camper living for a long time is to keep it covered (out of the sun/rain/wind/snow. Don't throw a tarp over it, or use a fitted cover, that will trap moisture. The ideal structure would be an open sided barn awning, or free standing roof, where nothing can settle/sit on the roof.

^^^ not exactly correct. Some had a horizontal seam that was prone to leak. Others had frame problems. Doors were known to be problem areas in some. Slim Potatohead has some videos of problems he has had as well, but overall the actual trailer bodies have held up well I believe. They do tend to be smaller trailers.

Ravella and X said:
Hmmm. Molded fiberglass trailers have an excellent rep for longevity. Mine is 21 years old and doing fine. It's the stick and staple kind that leak and fall apart, no matter what kind of siding they have.

I keep hearing that, but the number of them (not molded, the sandwich construction types) that have obvious delamination in their listing pictures when I look at the classifieds is a little discouraging.  As are the almost universal comments that Dutchmen, Forest River, Keystone, and Jayco are pretty much slapping together junk.  With 40k as the price of entry for a newish airstream basecamp and the numbers getting worse from there I've been looking at other options.  I think a Casita or Scamp may be a little on the small side.

I just looked at the Barthmobile.com for sale adds and they had pictures of one after a high speed roll over that was for sale. Really amazing how well it stayed together. They ought to crash test modern trailers! Lol!!!

You didn't mention azdel (composite) style sides and roofs....azdel is a fiberglass and plastic composite, usually framed with aluminum. 

Strong and light, and they look good for years.

Lots of high-end coaches and 5th wheel trailers use azdel in the construction...but it is also used in smaller trailers.

Worth a look.

Molded fiberglass trailers are not laminated construction.

The process is this. First a coat of release agent is sprayed into the mold. Then the colored gelcoat which provides the UV protection as well as the coloration is spfaed in, while it is still wet the chopped glass fibers that isre mixed with resin in the sprayed unit is sprayed into the mold.

My molded foberglass trailer is 50 years old. It has zero delamination issues and the gelcoat was of course a bit dull but still in good shape other than that.. It was, from what i can tell always left out of doors having spent a number of years being used as a backyard storage shed.

The travel trzilers that are made with la inated panels with only a thin layer of fiberglass are a very different type of construction. Think of it being similzr to other sheetgoods that are sold in lumber yards with either a layer of wood veneer or laminate over a different type of substrate.

If you go to youtube you can see videos of these two types of construction methods.

Thanks for the feedback. After looking at a number of different options I ended up going with a Skoolie short bus on the Ford E450 platform.