Convince me this is a bad idea

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natgreen

Reaction score
Putting a 6-8in gap between the roof of my van and a rack to mount solar panels.

Solar panels do get hot and work better when cooler is my understanding so some gap I would think would be a good thing if they got hot enough to affect performance or life span, maybe an adjustable rack would allow you to experiment but I believe there is a thread already somewhere as I would want as little overall height as possible due to overhead obstructions and the damage they can cause to unusually tall vehicles. I think I would set them flush and inside the upper rails of the rack to protect the panels if I did need to mount them that high.

If you look at the photos at the top of this page you'll see Bob's former rig with panels mounted on the van and trailer several inches ablove the roof.

I had custom ladder racks put on my Shasta trailer.....they are modified ladder racks that fit, usually in the rain gutter of a van....on the ends they stand about 8-9 inches maybe 10, then the bars go between....pretty standard....this is my thoughts.....that I would set the front bar as low as possible, and the rear as high as possible. That way when driving I have a wind diverter....yeah....aero dynamic.....and for the front I also want to use a piece of plywood....maybe like 6 inches to cover the opening so that air doesnt try to lift on those panels.....as for just sitting I think an air-flow would be good ….and the shade on the roof.

wildbill said:
I had custom ladder racks put on my Shasta trailer.....they are modified ladder racks that fit, usually in the rain gutter of a van....on the ends they stand about 8-9 inches maybe 10, then the bars go between....pretty standard....this is my thoughts.....that I would set the front bar as low as possible, and the rear as high as possible. That way when driving I have a wind diverter....yeah....aero dynamic.....and for the front I also want to use a piece of plywood....maybe like 6 inches to cover the opening so that air doesnt try to lift on those panels.....as for just sitting I think an air-flow would be good ….and the shade on the roof.
I was thinking along these lines

I'm having trouble finding a rack to mount because of the hightop on my van. Lots of curves and it's a good 8inch at least to get to the gutter rail. Any suggestions?