Colorado-Free BLM and State Campsites

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Born2Explore

Reaction score
Wanted to share a few sites my wife and I used earlier this year! We camped in our car, but you could find a site at both of these places for a tent or even a medium sized rig. We do not like being crowded, and we normally keep to ourselves so these sites were perfect for that! 

There is an awesome BLM spot just across from Mesa Verde National Park in Mancos, CO. The park itself does have a developed campground that you can pay to stay at, but when we went in March it was closed (i am pretty sure). This spot is primitive and was perfect for us since we wanted to spend a few hours at the park, then sleep, then drive to the Four Corners monument (just an hour away). [Coordinates of Campsite... [font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]37.359890, -108.427740][/font]

Some pictures from Mesa Verde...
MV-Primitave.jpg
MV-Unlevel Site.jpg

The next free site is within Royal Gorge State Park in Canyon City, CO. This one is a little more developed but is actually a little further off of the beaten path. You are about 5 minutes from the Royal Gorge suspension bridge, which is something we enjoyed going to check out! It was a little pricey, but worth going once to walk out on it! You are allowed to camp here for up to 3 days. [Coordinates of Campsite... [font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]38.464011, -105.292609][/font]

Some Picture from Royal Gorge...
GOPR3239.jpg
IMG_0129.jpg

The wife and I made a video going into more detail on these two campsites and how we found them. We also explain how we camped in of our Subaru!

We will DEFINITELY be staying again at both of these sites in the future!

Attachments

• GOPR3239.jpg
    GOPR3239.jpg
    577.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0129.jpg
    IMG_0129.jpg
    793.1 KB · Views: 24
  • MV-Primitave.jpg
    MV-Primitave.jpg
    887.2 KB · Views: 30
  • MV-Unlevel Site.jpg
    MV-Unlevel Site.jpg
    974.9 KB · Views: 27
Thnx B2E, love to hear about new places for boondocking. As far as that bridge goes in that pic, I gotta say, F that, looks sketchy as hell! Lol

No, no... you see. What is sketchy is when you are out on the bridge and you see this guy driving toward you! We stood there and watched the suspension cables rattle all over the place. I wondered why they had a speed limit sign!! We were out there when a smaller truck drove across and the whole bridge creaked and shook like crazy.
IMG_7274.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7274.JPG
    IMG_7274.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
If you don't mind being on the east side of Mancos, Road 316 takes you into National Forest with many camping spots along the way.

37.359890, -108.427740

Born2Explore said:
The next free site is within Royal Gorge State Park in Canyon City, CO. This one is a little more developed but is actually a little further off of the beaten path. You are about 5 minutes from the Royal Gorge suspension bridge, which is something we enjoyed going to check out! It was a little pricey, but worth going once to walk out on it! You are allowed to camp here for up to 3 days. [Coordinates of Campsite... [font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]38.464011, -105.292609][/font]

Cañon City site was awesome! Thanks so much!