Co workers know I'm gonna leave.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Vulture

Reaction score
I have been slowly building out my 2012 Chevy 3500 cargo van since I bought it in March of this year.
Ever since I discovered this forum and Bob's You Tube videos I feel like there is hope in my life again.

I thru hiked the Appalachian Trail in 2009 and ever since I have had trouble re entering the so called "normal life"
My work week just feels "grey" until the weekend.

I have always thought about living out of a truck, or van and exploring the country.
I remember hearing about how it's legal to live in National Forests for 14 days at a time but never really researched it.
I have always thought "I could never do that, people would think I'm crazy" 

When I happened on Bob's videos, and saw how other people do it, and watched the "Without Bound"
video, I became hooked and knew in my heart I would start down a path of nomad living.

This forum is an amazing resource and do my research on it a lot.
I'm sorry I don't post much but I have to say it's really nice to know there are other people out there that share similar values.

I mentioned to a few co workers that I felt close to that I was planning to build out a van and eventually head out west in a year or two. (I'm from the Philly burbs) I have been with the company for 5 years. (I'm 40 years old, no wife, no kids, just a girlfriend I live with who knows I want to head out west eventually)

The co workers I mentioned my plans to were supportive but once the word got out, I have been experiencing some blow back from a lot of co workers that I'm guessing take offense to my wanting to leave.
They witnessed me leaving with an empty 5 gallon company bucket (it diddn't have the company name on it) and probably thought I was gonna use it for my bathroom. (which I am)

There are lots of workers there that have been there for 20, 30, even 40+ years!
I don't want to go into details on the web but I know they are pissed off.

I'm thinking there could be some jealousy there. My boss has been there most of his adult life and they are letting him go at the end of the month!

Now I have to be the guy who everybody dislikes or even hates.

It's a strange thing, the thought of exploring this beautiful country, backpacking in the Rockies, reading Ed Abbey while boon docking in the dessert, reading Walden (slowly) while drinking coffee on a "Monday"
morning, basically "sucking the marrow out of life", is a beautiful, exciting, thought.
Now, every time a co worker treats me shitty, I cant help but start to feel ashamed of not wanting to follow in their footsteps and spend most of my life working for a corporation.
I don't think I can stay there much longer.

Perhaps I am now a constant reminder of how they wished they spent their younger days....hmm..

I really don't want to seek other employment for the remaining time before full timing.
Bartholomew (Bart) my van, still has 11,000 dollars to go and of course I need $$ in savings before heading out west.
I could just use my 401k money (about 20 grand) and pay Bart off and have a few thousand $$ extra in savings but I really don't want to do that.

Has anyone on this forum experienced this from their jobs, and if so, does anyone have any advice?
I could really use some feedback...

When I was retiring, significant difference I know, my co-workers heard I was going to Russia with my Canadian/Russian wife. Now they had all heard the stereotypical stories and some were concerned while others were jealous. People will always be jealous of brave and courageous people who do things outside of the norm because they hate themselves and their own inability to step up and chase "crazy" dreams. Understanding where this emotion is coming from helps you past it. They don't hate you. They hate the reflection YOU show them about themselves!!

Chickens will always peck at the chicken that is different. But chickens are always going to be chickens. Being the Prima Ballerina Chicken is hardly an accomplishment. Look past the comments for what they are; defense mechanisms. Stay on target, don't waver, commit and overcome.

So your manager is getting let go in a few weeks? Personal reasons or is the company having problems? Sounds like you have a good start on a "backup plan" if the company start laying people off.

Black Vulture said:
I really don't want to seek other employment for the remaining time before full timing.
Bartholomew (Bart) my van, still has 11,000 dollars to go and of course I need $$ in savings before heading out west.
I could just use my 401k money (about 20 grand) and pay Bart off and have a few thousand $$ extra in savings but I really don't want to do that.

Has anyone on this forum experienced this from their jobs, and if so, does anyone have any advice?

Perhaps you might want to start looking for the seasonal jobs that you're going to  need to have anyways. Line one up, say goodbye to the permanent job with the knowledge that if you absolutely needed to do so, the money is there for you to keep up with the payments and an emergency fund.

If it's camphosting work at a lower paycheck than that job you have now, you'll still be further ahead with no rent/utilities etc AND you'll be working outdoors in as much nature as you can find, which in itself is healing to the soul!

That 20 Gs is your safety net. Personally I wouldn't touch it for paying off the van.

Remind them that when you need their permission, you'll be sure and ask for it.......

Stay the course, mate. You'll get nothing but applause here.

I, too, would be very hesitant to deplete your nest egg.

Dgorila1 said:
So your manager is getting let go in a few weeks? Personal reasons or is the company having problems? Sounds like you have a good start on a "backup plan" if the company start laying people off.

Company is having problems. Im a low level employee, they wont miss me.

Almost There said:
Perhaps you might want to start looking for the seasonal jobs that you're going to  need to have anyways. Line one up, say goodbye to the permanent job with the knowledge that if you absolutely needed to do so, the money is there for you to keep up with the payments and an emergency fund.

If it's camphosting work at a lower paycheck than that job you have now, you'll still be further ahead with no rent/utilities etc AND you'll be working outdoors in as much nature as you can find, which in itself is healing to the soul!

That 20 Gs is your safety net. Personally I wouldn't touch it for paying off the van.

Ill look into that. Thanks! I do want to try camp hosting.

You might talk to Express Employment Professionals.  They are a nationwide company that doesn't charge a fee.  You can register with them and as you move around the country you wouldn't have to keep trying to come up with references everytime you applied for a job.

Also check CoolWorks.com as they list seasonal jobs. A lot of campground and park jobs.

With out knowing your background I can tell you that there are jobs in beautiful places that pay good enough to allow you to live there in remote places but it is hard to save if you fully explore the areas. Most seasonal workers work hard to have enough to take some time off ( two or three months) at the end of their season and still be able to get to their next job. In my case that would have been fine and wish I would have done it sooner. There are full time careers in the forest that pay as well as or better than work in the cities but remote living tends to cost more but it sure is nice to be 5 minutes walk to the lake after work!

Sorry to hear people are giving you a hard time for doing what you want to do with your life. I had similar experiences recently when I lost my job. I honestly could have saved my employment but I was miserable. When that became known to some people they looked down at me like I was disrespecting their decision to work and live in a house. It is really juvenile for a grown person to be a dick about someone doing their own thing. They probably had every opportunity to do what you are doing, but the difference is that you are doing it. I know everyone's story is different, so I don't want to generalize things.
Just keep thinking about when you will be reading Walden and stuff like that. It has helped me so much to envision stuff like that. I happened across a video of Ed Nightengale reading The Strangest Secret on YouTube and it has helped me tremendously. I came across it the same week I was moving out of my apartment into a van. I felt like I was losing my mind and it helped me realize I was doing EXACTLY what I needed to do. Check it out, it addresses a lot of what you might be thinking:

Since you need the job and benies until you're ready to get on the road, then just focus on doing your job well, and don't reveal personal info about yourself or your plans to your coworkers. And don't take stuff from the workplace without permission AND some kind of large tote bag to carry it home without people seeing what it is. When you're ready to go, leave on your own terms and with the ability to get a good reference.

So many times in my working life I wanted to travel/vacation.  It worked like this.   I'd be working with few if any benefits, didn't have the time or had a few weeks and couldn't afford to go anywhere.  Other times I'd be out of work with plenty of time and no $$$ to go anywhere.

If you would be better off financially and can stand keeping the job that might be a good idea.  Only you can decide.  I think at work I'd stay low key about my plans.   If asked about them I think "I'm having second thought's about that" would be a fair and mostly honest answer, at least in my world it would be. :)      I don't like people nosing around in my business.  If I put "it" out there then I've opened myself up to others thought and comments.

If your employer is having problems and there is a chance of you being laid off or let go It might work in your favor to stay.   I don't know the rules and regs. of the unemployment benefits where you are at this time.  The one time I quit a job with what I thought was adequate reasons I was unable to draw benefits.  In 1993 the state of SD where I lived paid my full weekly benefits when I went to TX to "look for work".  I stayed in TX and drew my benefits until I found a job.  I think some states will pay unemployment benefits while a person is looking for work and living out of state.  I wouldn't depend on it until the state I'm living in verified it.  I also take notes with date/time/ who I spoke with/topic and what was said.  i do this anytime there is $$$ involved.  It's amazing how many times bill amounts are incorrect and a credit is "given" and never makes it to the next statement.  My phone co. Cen.Link is the worst I've ever dealt with on this.

I hope things work out well for you.

Jewellann

I haven't received any flashback about it, but at the same time I talk about as though it's something I'm planning of doing off in the future near retirement. But mostly I don't talk about it much because I don't want them to know my plans which are much sooner.

But, now that I'm getting closer to my dream I find it extremely hard to go into work every day. I just feel generally annoyed on a daily basis about every little thing. But I have to tough it out because I have a really good job making really good money so I need to keep piling up the savings so I can hit the road.

Like others have suggested, I would just not talk about it as an active plan and just "do your time" until you are able to leave and travel.

Best of luck.

my co-workers know my plans, and are generally curious and supportive.
my boss even asked me recently if i was still in my house or living in my van - she'd bought scented candles for all of the women in the office and for me she'd picked out a scent wouldn't be overpowering in the van.
so i'm pretty lucky in that respect.

I know this is an old thread but I have been transitioning to my temporary life here in Kuwait since August. Two things to keep in mind in life

1 - We came in alone (most of us) and we go out in a box alone...
2 - Can't live YOUR life trying to manage the feelings and emotions of others.

Who's going to take care of you & your feelings (aside from the close handful of family & friends)?

Favorite Phrase in my community - "What you eat doesn't make me ~poop~"
Live YOUR life and don't harm or impose on others.

Black Vulture said:
I have been slowly building out my 2012 Chevy 3500 cargo van since I bought it in March of this year.
Ever since I discovered this forum and Bob's You Tube videos I feel like there is hope in my life again.

I thru hiked the Appalachian Trail in 2009 and ever since I have had trouble re entering the so called "normal life"
My work week just feels "grey" until the weekend.

I have always thought about living out of a truck, or van and exploring the country.
I remember hearing about how it's legal to live in National Forests for 14 days at a time but never really researched it.
I have always thought "I could never do that, people would think I'm crazy" 

When I happened on Bob's videos, and saw how other people do it, and watched the "Without Bound"
video, I became hooked and knew in my heart I would start down a path of nomad living.

This forum is an amazing resource and do my research on it a lot.
I'm sorry I don't post much but I have to say it's really nice to know there are other people out there that share similar values.

I mentioned to a few co workers that I felt close to that I was planning to build out a van and eventually head out west in a year or two. (I'm from the Philly burbs) I have been with the company for 5 years. (I'm 40 years old, no wife, no kids, just a girlfriend I live with who knows I want to head out west eventually)

The co workers I mentioned my plans to were supportive but once the word got out, I have been experiencing some blow back from a lot of co workers that I'm guessing take offense to my wanting to leave.
They witnessed me leaving with an empty 5 gallon company bucket (it diddn't have the company name on it) and probably thought I was gonna use it for my bathroom. (which I am)

There are lots of workers there that have been there for 20, 30, even 40+ years!
I don't want to go into details on the web but I know they are pissed off.

I'm thinking there could be some jealousy there. My boss has been there most of his adult life and they are letting him go at the end of the month!

Now I have to be the guy who everybody dislikes or even hates.

It's a strange thing, the thought of exploring this beautiful country, backpacking in the Rockies, reading Ed Abbey while boon docking in the dessert, reading Walden (slowly) while drinking coffee on a "Monday"
morning, basically "sucking the marrow out of life", is a beautiful, exciting, thought.
Now, every time a co worker treats me shitty, I cant help but start to feel ashamed of not wanting to follow in their footsteps and spend most of my life working for a corporation.
I don't think I can stay there much longer.

Perhaps I am now a constant reminder of how they wished they spent their younger days....hmm..

Good morning,
Thanks for sharing your story.  I wonder how many other people were "ruined" by their time on the Appalachian Trail".  I spent 5 months on the trail but came nowhere near finishing as I met an older gentleman who had cancer and was trying to do the trail as his last wish.  I ended up slack-packing for him so he could finish (which he did) and I don't regret it at all.  However, I've never been the same because, as you've experienced first hand, it's a life changer.  I'll never be "normal" again.  Well, if truth be told, I never really was.  But I simply can not fake it any more.  I too am struggling with the work situation and am trying to extract myself from my career.  But my days are numbered as I'm hitting the road in a matter of weeks.  I feel for you and wish you luck.  Just remember to have compassion for those who are not at the same place you are.  You at least have a plan to get out of a situation that makes you unhappy.  BTW, I'm from "down the shore" in South Jersey.