Choose only one

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott3569

Reaction score
Ok, I need to make a choice.  And I want to see what others would choose if they had to..

1. A power station with solar panels to match
I am looking at the rockpal 350

Or 2. A fridge freezer

If you were able to only choose one to get you going.. which one would you choose first

It depends on you and how you travel. It also depends on you finances. A fridge/freezer will save you money after a few hot months on the road but does require a power source. Usually at least an extra house battery and solar. That would be my choice for boondocking full time as small power pack wouldn't be necessary with the solar and house battery and the solar can be expanded or added to. If I were urban camping or just camping on weekends where I could use a cooler and have a cheap source of ice from home I would probably go with the power station as I could charge it at home, it wouldn't require charging over a weekend and most likely would take up less space.

Too many variables.
Depends on your situation.

Truth be told, you can make a power station with an inverter, a battery and a few cheap pieces of hardware.

I have a Jackery 500 and haven't really used it yet, but it sure is fun to look at it and know it's there if I want it.

How do you plan to power the refrigerator?

Myself I would never pay that kind of money for one of those power stations. A dual battery and an solar panel will run the fridge no problem.

Highdesertranger

ok no problem I will sort things out myself.. I was not asking anyone to help me choose. and yes powering a fridge would be quite difficult.. with out a power source..

It seems that the fridge/freezer would be worthless without a power source so I pick option "A".

yea ya need the power for the fridge LOL but honestly if power was not a factor in this all.....I would choose the fridge/freezer. Both are fab conveniences, but I do love having a food supply handy and cooled/frozen etc. to keep days of supplies on hand....so my choice is fridge/freezer :)
I

I know guys, not sure what I was thinking when I posted the question. In fact I don't believe it was the question I was trying to ask. My mind must have been mush at the time...

Basically, I have some large purchases I need to make. And just trying to figure out which ones to purchase first..

And I am thinking of purchasing the rockpal first. It will be limited power yes.. but I will have power with out using my starter battery..

Of course as i mentioned in other posts i would like to have a battery, solar panel, DC-DC charger system.. with a 12 volt fridge

But I think just to get me going for now, purchasing the rockpal 350 or maybe 500 with a 100 solar panel will work while I save up for the ultimate system..

My thought is that maybe I could also charge a second battery with the solar panel and alternator.. but then again that would also require me installing a battery isolator Minimally..

Quite simply I need to get out on the road in the next few days
. And I think the first thing I need to have is power..

I can get by without a fridge and all for the time being

I got a Rockpals 300 when I started vanlife a few years ago. When the 12v cord quit working I tried to get a replacement and there was nothing like it on the internet and the company ignored my multiple emails. I could still charge it with a 110 cord. Then about six months ago the battery just quit working entirely. It lasted only about two years. The solar panel I bought with it never proved to be useful. Tried using it once but it was so slow to provide power... never used it again. I kept the battery charged via my van's 12v or 110 inverter. I still have the non-working Rockpals 300 and solar panel. Free to a good home. Maybe you can fix it. I'm not mailing it ... you would have to come pick it up in Northern California.

A solar panel with controller and a 12V deep cycle battery. Buying something for temporary use that is expensive is a waste of money.

You can get a good sized used solar panel from SanTan Solar for a lot less money than a new 100 watt panel and controller. So start out by going large enough to meet your needs instead of starting out with not even nearly enough. Otherwise you are throwing out your time as well as money and then living in frustration of not having enough power for a comfortable van life.

Dumb questions, probably, but what do you need power for and how much do you plan to drive?

Without a 'fridge, our needs are met with an ancient AGM power pack, rated at around 17AH (originally under $100).  I don't run it down more than 50% and recharge when driving or, occasionally, from 110.

I would like more--but WAY more.  No use at this time for something in the middle.  Many here find otherwise, though.

travelaround said:
I got a Rockpals 300 when I started vanlife a few years ago. When the 12v cord quit working I tried to get a replacement and there was nothing like it on the internet and the company ignored my multiple emails. I could still charge it with a 110 cord. Then about six months ago the battery just quit working entirely. It lasted only about two years. The solar panel I bought with it never proved to be useful. Tried using it once but it was so slow to provide power... never used it again. I kept the battery charged via my van's 12v or 110 inverter. I still have the non-working Rockpals 300 and solar panel. Free to a good home. Maybe you can fix it. I'm not mailing it ... you would have to come pick it up in Northern California.
Well that is certainly good to know

maki2 said:
A solar panel with controller and a 12V deep cycle battery. Buying something for temporary use that is expensive is a waste of money.

You can get a good sized used solar panel from SanTan Solar for a lot less money than a new 100 watt panel and controller. So start out by going large enough to meet your needs instead of starting out with not even nearly enough. Otherwise you are throwing out your time as well as money and then living in frustration of not having enough power for a comfortable van life.
Your correct so, I need to figure out how to do things until I have the resources to do it correctly

Unfortunately it seems trying to get by ends up costing more. You are better to do with out or modify what you have until you can afford something that will meet your needs efficiently. Getting out there with very little and trying things will help you determine what you really need but buying things without experiencing what it is like without them will result in a lot of stuff that didn't work so well for you or took up more space than they were worth for you to carry. I have always tried to live out of a backpack or a few totes which isn't as comfortable as living in a sticks and bricks but you have to realize there are costs to being able to travel where you want to go and getting to see those places are worth it.

VanFan said:
Dumb questions, probably, but what do you need power for and how much do you plan to drive?

Without a 'fridge, our needs are met with an ancient AGM power pack, rated at around 17AH (originally under $100).  I don't run it down more than 50% and recharge when driving or, occasionally, from 110.

I would like more--but WAY more.  No use at this time for something in the middle.  Many here find otherwise, though.
Well for the moment I wilk be doing door dash, things of that nature.. will that be every day? No I doubt it..

bullfrog said:
Unfortunately it seems trying to get by ends up costing more. You are better to do with out or modify what you have until you can afford something that will meet your needs efficiently. Getting out there with very little and trying things will help you determine what you really need but buying things without experiencing what it is like without them will result in a lot of stuff that didn't work so well for you or took up more space than they were worth for you to carry. I have always tried to live out of a backpack or a few totes which isn't as comfortable as living in a sticks and bricks but you have to realize there are costs to being able to travel where you want to go and getting to see those places are worth it.
Yes I would agree bullfrog.. with what I have now, I can certainly get by.. and yeah I totally agree there is cost in anything we do.. 
I really only need to get by for a couple of months come September I will have the system I want.  Possibly before that..
Honestly, it would be nice to have just a back up to my starter battery.. I am more concerned with that than anything else

To answer your initial question The first thing I would buy would be a 12 volt Compressor fridge, Plug it into your cigarette lighter while driving, if left closed will stay cold overnight, buy ice when sitting for longer periods, then I would buy a deep cycle battery, wired into your vehicle charging system, if you can afford a cheap 110 volt trickle chargers to charge up your deep cycle when you have access to electricity. Afterwards I would buy a 100 watt panel and a 20 amp charge controller maybe eventually buy another panel to match in that order.