chevy G30 diesel

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one of those.   Your mechanic is obviously not very verse on the van.  Parts are fairly easy to find, I'm building mine as I write this  comment you can see my thread here.

Attachments

• WP_20160321_18_49_14_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160321_18_49_14_Pro.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • WP_20160321_18_50_31_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160321_18_50_31_Pro.jpg
    757.4 KB · Views: 16
hey old dog. nice choice got any pics? I believe yours is electronic controlled. easy to convert to mechanical. MPG for that van should be around 20, mas o menos. you yeah welcome. got any questions ask away, some one on here will have the answer. highdesertranger

marigold said:
I have the same van with the same stories told to me about it.  I found mine in a junk yard with the motor pulled.  we put a 350 chevy and hooked up a Frankenstein setup.  it has the electronic gear regulator to deal with the gear difference from gas to diesel.  I converted the back to be a tv production truck.  We have traveled over 8 states in it.  500ft elevation to 10,000 feet.  

[img=696x607]https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.ne...ac828dec49ad53cdf299c45d158&oe=5A930FEA[/img]

[img=390x431]https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.ne...00aabc3534b5ca927b0d42dd173&oe=5A90FCE6[/img]

Anyone here have a van like mine?

1993 hi top cube van, diesel chevy G30. Sin
[img=416x512]https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.ne...a1ec51f6203271d4ec95be0c80f&oe=5A8F9DB3[/img]
ce I bought it I've seen a few others around, dark blue with barn doors in the back, sliding door on the side and windows.

From what I've found online, it was originally a military vehicle, used to shuttle airforce pilots to their planes. From what the mechanics have told me, she is very *unique* which means parts are almost impossible to find....

anyone know this rig?

Hey guys, just wanted to chime in that I just picked one of these up! Confirmed it was used for ferrying pilots to their planes. Mine's from Duluth, MN.

p77XGkH.jpg

KHZr5bb.jpg

Starting the buildout next week!

Ronin1377 said:
Hey guys, just wanted to chime in that I just picked one of these up! Confirmed it was used for ferrying pilots to their planes. Mine's from Duluth, MN.

p77XGkH.jpg

KHZr5bb.jpg

Starting the buildout next week!

Very cool how many miles do you have in it? Does it still have the motor and if so what is it? When we got mine it was sitting in a junk yard without a motor we shoved a 350 gas in it and made some changes to make it all work but it’s so fun and smooth to drive. Heavy vehicle I have taken it on gravel in hills where most trucks would spin this thing is build like a tank.

congrats on the van. I have some tips on the 6.2/6.5 diesel if anybody cares. highdesertranger

Mine was an transport or service vehicle on an airport. It's got a 6.2L V8 diesel with a 4L80E transmission. The best part...it's only got 78k miles on it! The thing runs great and it's already got an auxiliary battery and auxiliary rear heater!

I looked for one of these a while back. I never found one. Parts are a non-issue. Napa has or can get almost everything for the van chassis and drivetrain. Unfortunately, My plans have changed and I would utilize a cargo trailer better than a van. I'm not sure if I would want both. Van cockpits are tight.

The hard part of owning these ex military vehicles is that they were built to military specifications, ie MILSPEC.
I have worked at a Chevrolet dealer for the last 21 years. We had a service customer with an ex military 88 Blazer. It had 24 volt electrical system and a bunch of other weird crap specified by the government. Every time he brought it in he also brought in the military maintenance manual. It was a bitch to work on because many of the parts were only used on military vehicles. Needless to say some of the parts were unobtanium. That's not to say that it can't be retrofitted to civilian specs but it's not a walk in the park. Your experience may vary.

actually it's a split system 12/24 volts and it's pretty easy to convert to 12 volt. install a 12v starter, alternator and rearrange some wires and your done. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
congrats on the van.  I have some tips on the 6.2/6.5 diesel if anybody cares.  highdesertranger

Hey there @highdesertranger,

I'm picking up my "new" rig next week - it's a 95 Chevy G30 ex military truck/van a lot like the one pictured in this thread. Seller said it's a 6.2 Detroit Diesel but from what I'm seeing the 95's had the 6.5 Diesel.

If you have tips, I'm all ears! My first order of business is to get it into the shop for a checkup, but to be honest, not sure where to start.

The rig only has 41k miles on it... seems to run great and the owners have had no problems.

Also, important note - I've never owned or driven a diesel before. LOTS to learn!

I just picked up one of these! 47k miles. The 6.2 Detroit diesel. And it already has some things like flooring and a bed, etc.

The previous owner mentioned that the ceiling and walls were insulated in mine, but I noticed that it looked like the walls and ceiling were original, just painted… so does this van come insulated at all originally? I’ll attach some pictures of mine.IMG_8557.jpegIMG_8554.jpegIMG_8480.jpegIMG_8478.jpeg

To me looks like the ribs on the outside that go in & ribs on the inside that come into the box so I'd agree it doesn't look insulated but check the wall thickness at the side door, window & roof vent to verify.

To me looks like the ribs on the outside that go in & ribs on the inside that come into the box so I'd agree it doesn't look insulated but check the wall thickness at the side door, window & roof vent to verify.
I would look for an interior panel that might be easy to temporarily peal back or even an unobtrusively spot to drill a hole, take a peek, and then cover back up with something that looks nice. I remember helping someone build a straw bale home and inside a closet there was one panel of clear plexiglass for checking to see if any moisture was getting into the straw. Insulation will very quickly pay for itself and a lack of it in hot or cold weather will very quickly make your living space uncomfortable. Otherwise, I really like the rig! :)

I have one of those. Your mechanic is obviously not very verse on the van. Parts are fairly easy to find, I'm building mine as I write this comment you can see my thread here.

I have a variation of the Air Force crew vans. Mine is a military police surveillance vehicle with lightning detections, remote PTZ cameras on a 30' boom. Came with DVR, remote joystick, Onan 4000 generator, AC/Heater, Air Compressor, Hydraulic system, and only 48K miles.

Attachments

• 20231116_142736.jpg
    20231116_142736.jpg
    7.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231116_142723.jpg
    20231116_142723.jpg
    7.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231116_142045.jpg
    20231116_142045.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 1