Chevy G20 dashboard has VOLTS lit up

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thehellend

Reaction score
Hey all!

I just picked up a sweet Chevy G20 van, it needed a new battery so we got one, and now it runs well and starts on cue. 

Issue is, from the moment we drove her, with the initial battery and also once the new one was installed, the word VOLTS is lit up next to the battery icon on the dash. I'm going out of the country for 6 days tomorrow, so I wonder if this is something that is draining the new battery, that I should take care of before I go? I parked her up last night around midnight and she started up fine at 11am this morning, but I'm worried something is slowly draining the battery, and I'll come back to a dead van.

Ideas? The manual says to check with a dealer if this happens, with no other information. I think it's to do with the charging system, if that helps.

Quick and lazy answer is to go to an auto parts store and get the free alternator test to see if your alternator/regulator are putting out the needed voltage (13.8-14.4, varies by make/brand) to the battery.  

2nd way is find a Harbor Freight or big box store and purchase a cheap digital multimeter (they are under $15). That will allow you to check the battery terminal voltage when the van is off (and has been for a couple hours) and the charging voltage when the van is running. You can also use a different (smaller) scale to check for drains.

There's always a reason for the idiot light to go on. It could even be poor battery cable connections, rust or "green stuff" corrosion on the terminals, maybe the ground strap connection.  Thats less likely as if it was a bad ground you'd likely have other weird electrical issues.

Search on the forum under "testing alternator" or go onto U Tube and search the same title.

thehellend said:
the word VOLTS is lit up next to the battery icon on the dash. I'm going out of the country for 6 days tomorrow, so I wonder if this is something that is draining the new battery, that I should take care of before I go?

Disconnect the negative lead to the battery before you leave. You can then deal with it when you return. 
Have a safe trip.

that and when you get back buy a multimeter,you will need it down the road anyways

Only thing I can add to the above, is put the new battery on a plug in charger. Your van's charging system might not be working at all.

A new battery could easily start the van, and power its electrical demands for a few to several hours. So it starting in the morning, does not mean the charging system is working properly. it only means the battery is not so depleted it cannot start the engine. And with a new battery this will not be obvious.

So charge new battery fully, Disconnect ground cable while you are away. When you return, start engine, take voltage reading at battery terminals. Turn on headlight(highbeams) and blower motor on high, take voltage reading at battery terminals. Rev engine, more voltage readings.

post results.

Also, while new batteries are supposed to be fully charged before leaving the factory, they are often sent out less than fully charged. Batteries also self dischrge sitting on a shelf. 15% a month is possible. Faster self discharge occurs the higher the temperature.

So The new battery purchaser is wise to top charge the new battery anyway. Any vehicles' charging system is very poor at stuffing in the last few% points into a battery, new or old, as the voltage allowed is generally not high enough, and even at high voltages the last 2% takes 1 to 2 hours, or more.

True 100% state of charge is where the lead acid battery is happiest. 95% is good, but only half as good as 100%.

Goodness, this is awesome advice! Multimeter has been ordered (along with a Haynes manual), and I shall unplug the negative lead before I go. Thanks everyone! :)

maybe read this thread: [font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]what should I learn about repairs and maintenance?[/font]