Cherokee National Forest - dispersed camping

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seraphim

Reaction score
Dispersed camping in the Cherokee NF. Most areas for dispersed camping appear (from the maps) to be off the road, and have limitations which might prevent someone from using a camper in those areas. I haven't researched it, but was curious what you have discovered in yours.

I had no problem with the gravel roads in the Cherokee Natl. Forest last month when 8 vandwellers got together at tumbling creek campground. I did have to go slow, and if your gps relies on cell signal ( smart or not so smart phone) you might be s-o-l. There were 2 astro vans, an 80's extended dodge hightop aero, a pleasureway class b , a converted airporter transport,an e250, a Toyota corrola and my bus, only one astro of which was
AWD. I'm sure there are areas that are even more off the beaten path then we were, but most service roads appeared to be graded gravel. The other Natl forest campground in north Ga( chickamunga? Nf) Hickey Gap was 10 miles from a paved road and 2wd was fine, even after a rain.(gravel road had washouts, but was passable at 10-15mph)
Les

Thanks Les. The restrictions I read seem to imply you couldn't park along the roads - had to be a certain distance away - and I didn't know if it were permissible to drive down service roads. It also seemed dispersed camping is limited to certain areas. I wasn't questioneing the feasability of physically getting down the road, but the legality: exactly what is permissible in a vehicle.<br><br><br>

<P>OK - so RV (van) camping must be in the campsite area, but for true 'dispersed camping', you must walk 100 feet away (at least)&nbsp;from the trailhead parking area and use a tent.<BR><BR>There's no [dispersed - non campsite location] &nbsp;place you can just pull over and sack out in the vehicle.<BR></P><P>That was how I interpreted it, and I was asking if my interpretation was correct lol.</P>

It might be different out West, but everywhere I have been from the The Rockies to the Sierras (and everywhere inbetween) dispersed camping is allowed everywhere on NF and BLM land unless it is specifically posted as no camping. If there is room on the side of the road for you and your rig, you can camp there. In a very few places you need a permit, but that is very unusual. <br><br>It may be different in the East but I don't think so. Bob<br><br>

<P>We've been out west and love it.&nbsp; The only NF in Ohio is Wayne NF, and the rules are worded the same as Cherokee, so it seems different here.&nbsp;I'm trying to get confirmation from someone who knows. </P>

Thanks for this info- I'm planning on being in that area Jan/Feb. <br>Like to know any other interesting spots 'tween Vt and&nbsp; 'bama.<br><br>

I guess I interpreted roads as either 'trailhead parking' or 'developed recreation area'. One way to find out *grin*

<p>We're about six hours from CNF.&nbsp; Let us know when you get there.</p>

<p>
</p><p>Primitive Camping is allowed on NF land away from developed campgrounds and anywhere that your camping equipment and/or vehicle do not block developed trails or road right-of-ways.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">Plan to bring enough drinking water for the duration of your stay. Leave a clean campsite by packing out all refuse. There is no charge for primitive camping, although a 14 day limitation is in effect. It is not normally necessary to check in with the Forest Service. However, groups larger than 25 people require a permit and prior coordination is required.<br>
</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">It looks like Wayne National Forest upgraded their site a bit - this is the first time I've seen the word 'vehicle' used in reference to dispersed camping on their site.&nbsp; So maybe there's hope for us dispersed camping in the van.</p>

Karl, I own creekside property in the Albany county, Ny hilltowns. ( rural). Might be useful to you as a parking spot on your way north or south. . Pm me if you like.
Les

We're about six hours from CNF.  Let us know when you get there.
Jerry

Flight of the GyrFalcon"
----------------------------------------

I am about 2 hours away, and know several others that are nearby.

Sure. <br><br>Sounds like a get-together in the making.<br><br>WHo's bringing the donuts?<br><br><br>

Kind of off topic, but I will be heading to the Mark Twain National Forest in about a week and a half, and will comment on the availability and attitude towards van camping in the dispersed area.&nbsp;

Not off topic at all. Thanks.<br><br>blk-<br><br>my work computer is filtering out the image you posted.&nbsp; Won't see it until&nbsp;later.<br>

I registered for the NF forum, but they have to check my credentials first before approving me. Hope they don't check my credit rating.

Latest posts