Checkout Counter Awkwardness

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pseudo_mccoy

Reaction score
More than once I've had the cashier/person in line behind me chuckle at my purchases. Before I was stealth-vandwelling, I'd go shopping much less frequently and buy in larger quantities. Now, for both practical reasons as well as simply saying thanks for the overnight spot I'm in the grocery store a lot more often. Inevitably, there are times when I'll end up with apparently amusing item combos like a single plate of chicken and a large stack of bottled water. Or some beef jerky, a can of bacon flavored pringles (amazing, btw), a bottle of whiskey, and some baby wipes.

Anyone know what I'm talkin about?

Since most stores use scanners these days, I don't think the cashiers even notice what's being scanned.

My fun-evening-at-home grocery purchases are chips, ice cream, bourbon, and beef jerky. Most of the time no one says anything, sometimes I get a little chuckle. I just grin and ask "do I know how to party or what?" :D

I'm a ma'am but you are correct, fine bourbon is a thing of beauty!

Oops, well I guess that would make sense : ) Idk where I got it in my head you were a dude. Queens of the Stone Age are all guys so maybe I was thinking in that direction.

Just for fun, one day I'd like to go to a store a check out the the following items: Duct tape, zip ties, gloves, ski mask, rain poncho, chainsaw, hammer, black contractor bags, and a shovel.

If I did though, I doubt the cashier would notice or say anything. :)

Haha, yeah I've heard from cashiers that everyone is just a blur at the end of the day. They really don't care.

Here's an idea if you want to take your game up a few notches and and in a less dark direction...

Comedy Central Video:
"Aziz Ansari plans to buy a liter of Jack Daniel's, two liters of Coca-Cola, a box of condoms and a pack of blank CDs every day for six months. (1:05)"

concretebox said:
Just for fun, one day I'd like to go to a store a check out the the following items: Duct tape, zip ties, gloves, ski mask, rain poncho, chainsaw, hammer, black contractor bags, and a shovel.

If I did though, I doubt the cashier would notice or say anything. :)

Any well trained cashier would remind you that you forgot the lime. :D

I normally shop at Krogers, just out of habit. Last week Albertsons had the cat food my daughters cat eats on sale. I went in and bought 30 cans, just before leaving I remembered I needed a loaf of bread. As I was putting all the cat food on the counter then laid the loaf of bread there the clerk looked at me sort of questioningly. I remarked "It's not bad if you use a lot of mustard". She never said a word but I saw her watching me leave.. Thought it was a riot.

I've done the 'buy stuff in bulk' thing and gotten the odd looks, but once buying a twenty pound bag of rice, the clerk remarked she couldn't cook rice without burning it. Soon some others piped in, and we were all swapping favorite rice recipes! :cool:

Funnest time at the grocery store is when I have a cartload of stuff, and the clerk & bagger girl see my MC jacket and helmet. They were wondering "How's he gonna get all that on a motorcycle?"
When the bagger gal asked if she could 'help me out' with the cart, I said, "You wanna see me load this stuff, right?" She grinned.
She likely expected a big Harley. I proceded to load the stuff into the side boxes and collapsible gear bag on my Kawasaki KLR650's enlarged rear rack. Got 'em all stuffed out of sight. Her eyes were huge as she watched it all disappear. :D