Cheapest Non-Solar Solution for Minimalist?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
frater secessus said:
I'll push back on the the "run constantly" claim.  In a situation where the hot side is fan cooled to the outside there is little hot left to transfer back when the unit is off.

On that note:  I'll be starting an experiment with that old igloo this week.  Going to add a temp switch to it and see how well it holds a given temp.  I suspect that in sub-70F ambient temps the switching will save a lot of juice.

I problem as I understand it is that you loose the thermal diode effect when power is lost to a Peltier plate.  Then it has the same efficiency in transferring heat back into the cooler as it was transferring heat out, so the two plates would try to maintain the same temperature as outside air thus warming the interior of the cooler.

Interesting experiment.  Do you have an IR thermometer?  I would think that even with fan cooling the hot side would be higher than ambient.

I do have an IR meter. Also some thermocouples for watching temps over longer periods.

I would agree it would have the same efficiency moving heat back into the cooler if the voltage were reversed. In this case I am talking about chopping power (breaking the DC circuit) to the cooler/plates. My WAG is is this would reduce the plates to a simple conductor since they can't move any power that might be produced from exploiting temp differences on the plate.

I look forward to your analysis of whatever happens; it's always good to have an engineer around. :)

Walmart has a Yeti competitive model in the $150-200 range. LED's are low power draw, but I just use an LED headlamp. AA and AAA devices with NiMH rechargeable batteries can cover a lot of small needs. Charging those batteries off a dedicated 110 ah house battery is very low draw. If you are doing this, and the remainder, off your starting battery run your actual numbers. I can't say with precision but I wouldn't imagine that you would want to draw down your starter battery more than 10-15ah on a regular basis.

MAHA has some excellent chargers for NiMH that run off 12v. Can be sourced used for about $10.

I agree about the headlamp. I've got a cheap reachargeable hat brim lamp that I LOVE. My fancy flashlights (maglites, 18650s) are lonely.

I think i qualify as a minimalist. I don't have a fridge. I run alt only charging at the moment and yes, it is killing my crappy walmart 2nd truck battery and is expensive. Idling in my truck is about a gallon per hour of gas. Cell phone, led light 7watts. That's about all and still have to conserve power.

On that note:  I'll be starting an experiment with that old igloo this week.  Going to add a temp switch to it and see how well it holds a given temp.  I suspect that in sub-70F ambient temps the switching will save a lot of juice.

I have run the experiment;  results in a standalone thread.

unicutie said:
I think i qualify as a minimalist. I don't have a fridge. I run alt only charging at the moment and yes, it is killing my crappy walmart 2nd truck battery and is expensive. Idling in my truck is about a gallon per hour of gas. Cell phone, led light 7watts. That's about all and still have to conserve power.

Sounds like you have a problem with your system somewhere. Cell phone and led lights should not be killing two batteries or need to conserve imho.
Had a problem with my house battery getting low, turns out the ground was loose. First and easiest thing to check. Loose or corroded.

Bottom line is just using alt power will result in a much shorter batt lifetime, you're only getting to full when driving 6 hours a day, never from idling.

The best bank in that scenario is a pair of Duracell flooded GC 6V.

Making sure you don't go below 50% will help it last.

Can't get "more minimal" than that, but in the end have to put back in what you take out.

Adding solar will greatly improve things, but for even an efficient fridge you're no longer minimal, that's getting to the high usage side.

Van-Tramp said:
Most other foods you can find a non-refrigeration version of. More at http://www.van-tramp.com/wp/no-refrigeration-foods/
Excellent list. I do instant oatmeal while having a cup of brewing cone filtered coffee every morning. Boil water in 1 pot or kettle, using propane. I use foam bowl and 20 oz. cup. I reuse the foam cup 8-10 times before throwing away. I use honey to sweeten both.
I dropped dairy products from my diet.