Cheap restaurant food

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raven+Squid

Reaction score
I thought this was worth mentioning- maybe someone already has. 

"COMBATING GLOBAL CLIMATE CHANGE, WORLD HUNGER, AND THE FOOD WASTE EPIDEMIC AROUND THE WORLD.
WELCOME TO OUR UNIQUE CLOSING-TIME DISCOUNT CONCEPT THAT ALLOWS YOU TO ENJOY AMAZING MEALS STARTING $1 RIDICULOUS PRICE. INCLUSIVE TAX!
HOW DOES IT WORK? EASY! JUST SHOW THE EMAIL RECEIPT FROM BUFFETGO AT THE LOCATION AND FILL UP THE TAKEAWAY BOX WITH FOOD STRAIGHT FROM THE OPEN BUFFET!
HIGH-QUALITY RESTAURANT MEALS THAT TASTE EVEN BETTER WHEN YOU KNOW YOU’RE DOING YOUR BIT TO HELP SAVE THE PLANET. WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? TRY IT FOR FREE! WE REFUND THE FIRST MEAL.

By ordering through BuffetGo, you can show your support for a fair, just and equal society. Moreover, an equal society in which access to capital doesn't dictate a person's capacity to feed themselves."

http://www.buffet-go.com/collections/frontpage/lunch+all

Hopefully more restaurants will catch on. As far as I can see, it's only available in NY, Seattle area and Cali (most options are in CA in fact).

ETA: content 

Raven

Is it like a buffet-to-go where you pay per pound?  If so a LOT of grocery stores around the country offer this.

This seems to be selling the leftover buffet food before it gets thrown out. So the variety and freshness might not be the best, but it could be a way to get cheap meals.

Silly pseudo-philosophy up front, first sentence especially. And I cannot see how such a cheap price is sustainable. Easy way to go bankrupt, given the little amount of data in the quote.
Good food isn't cheap.
But if they can make it work, more power to them. Saving money is a good thing.

I have a problem with buffet food that has been sitting out for a while.   :dodgy:

I worked at one hotel that used the left over buffet to feed the employees the next day.  This ended when the entire Housekeeping staff came down with food poisoning. Good ting that Maintennce had second shift lunch.  Since then I have been leery about commercial leftover food.  In my own house, I can control the cleanliness of the people that come in contact with consumables. 

I understand being hungry, ~~~ Call it a personal phobia.

It sounds like marginal sales.  But if they are wanting to regulate the hours to where the food has been there 4 hours or more you may be taking a chance.   Depending on what food it is. 

If they are trying to sell what they know that they should be throwing out,  it's just greed wrapped in "helping the World" as a deception.

But I don't know that much about what they are doing and if what I'm supposing is even accurate.   Still I can't imagine that they would sell "doggie barrels" of their Buffet for a buck when there are paying customers who would pay for the Buffet.

What gets people sick ?

Bacterial Pathogens

Chemical Contaminants

Physical Contaminants

But Buffet & Salad Bars are places to watch out for Bacterial Pathogens

Including

Shigella  Any types of Salads

Salmonella Typhi

Salmonella Non-Thyphodal

e-Choli (shiga toxin)

Hepititus A

Norovirus

Now, if two or more people report getting sick from a restaurants foods it constitutes an "outbreak". The
restaurant will be closed and inspected by the Health Dept.

Buffet food generally contains a lot of Time, Temperature, Control, Safety foods which means they may be sensitive if not properly monitored. But most of the time they are and the Food industry does a very good job overall.

Restaurants generally won't give food away to non profits due to liabilities they may incur.  For them it is safer to just throw it away.

This is where I would like to know more about this marketing strategy.    Are the selling stuff that is near
a point where it should be disposed of ?    Those most at risk of this would be the aged,  those with weak immune systems, and young children. 

I'm not trying to nay say this..........just offering a heads up and naming the pathogens one "might" incur from this practice.