Cheap Chinese LifeP04 batteries?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brahmon

Reaction score
Hi all!   Yeah it's me again. ?

As you can probably tell, I'm OCD and obsessing about upgrading
my TSU (tactical surf unit).  I've gone from 100w solar to 800w but I'm stuck with my 400ah Walmart battery bank.  Do I buy more Everstart Maxx Marine batteries or roll the dice and upgrade (?) to the cheap lithium batteries??

They seem mighty tempting at virtually the same price as the Wally World cheapos.    I'm considering buying 4-5 of the Sinopoly 12v  200ah LifeP04 batteries on DHGate but not sure if they're safe.   I've searched Sinopoly and found mixed reviews.   

Please advise before I roll the dice. lol

please define your abbreviations.

what is OCD?
what is DHGate?

highdesertranger

oh sorry.   ocd = obsessive compulsive disorder 

dhgate is like alibaba

I'm right with you there with wanting an upgrade.
Been reading for about 6-8 months and have waffled more than the Pancake House.

Lithium batteries are a true Ya Get What Ya Pay For transaction.
It appears that 70%+ of all versions of li-ion batteries are made in SE Asia. That includes the LifePo4 which are the only one's I'd even consider. For me it must have a BMS (Battery Management System), and not any other version of internal monitoring that some companies offer. The 4S (4 cell) LFE (LifePo4) batteries are sold by a few companies but I'd only trust a couple that assemble matched balanced cells. So far I've found just two, Victron and Battleborn. Expensive, both warrantied and have very good BMS included inside the battery shell. I want bluetooth on the circuitry inside the battery that allows you to view via phone, ipad, etc. what each cell inside the battery is doing.

This write up at Marine How To, https://marinehowto.com/lifepo4-batteries-on-boats/ goes into a lot of details that are well worth the read.

My bottom line is LFP and any Lithium offering out there that isn't giving you all the info on their website and selling cheap, isn't selling quality. Check charger requirements, time, temp and voltage and the cheap stuff is all over the place. I'm not about to jump into Lithium with so little history and product variation. I'm probably going with AGM. Lifepo4 is just to new to spend that much cash, but I am available for testing if anyone wants to send me a couple.
:)
Just my ol 2¢

no prob hdr. 

thx matlock for that link.  sounds like we're in the same boat.  after reading halfway i got lost and it was like reading chinese.  lol.  

im hoping that someone here can vouch for the sinopoly batteries so i can pull the trigger
one way or another. not knowing any better, im perfectly happy with the everstart batteries since they have performed well so far.  

but if i can upgrade to lithium at the same price point as walmarts, ill do it. 
my main concern is i dont blow up using the chinese lithiums.  lol.

Myself if I needed some lithium I would be very tempted by the sinopoly, You get double the ah for less then 1 battleborn. I been using lifepo4 almost 2 years (220 ah ) and wouldnt go back to lead acid. I checked some youtube videos on the sinopoly, I notice they mention that they go out of balance. I notice that also on my lifepo4 and it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. As long as the voltage is good and a cell doesnt drain by itself it will work. 

If you buy them 2 things I recommend is a 4s active balancer (about 100 dollars) , this will keep the battery in balance 24/7 when charging/discharging, and a coulombmeter ( DROK LCD Digital Multimeter Charge-Discharge Battery Coulometer Tester ) you can find on amazon for 30 dollars. As far as bms, I'm using a 4s 30 amp model cost me 4 dollars. Yes a 4 dollar bms on my 220 ah lifepo4, but you can spend more if you need a higher amp output. I rely on the active balancers to keep it in balance, the bms is just for low/high voltage control. 

I would research more but I would definitely hold off buying lead acid if lifepo4 is available at decent price. Electricarpartscompany where I bought my active balancers sells 200ah lifepo4 for 255 dollars but has shipping costs, thats not much more then the sinopoly, buts its also chinese lifepo4. As far as safety as long as you don't punch a hole in them they are safe.  You can use an overvoltage relay like I do as a deadman switch to prevent overcharging in case bms fails.

At first I was concern about the weight at 12.78 pounds, it seem light to me, but I checked the weight with other 200 ah and its about the same.
a 4 cell 200ah lifepo4 for 52 pounds, comparable lead acid would be about 140 pounds. My 220 ah made of 160x cylindrical cells weighs about 64 pounds. Lifepo4 doesnt require as much attention as lead acid, you don't have to fully charge them, you don't have to trickle charge them. Just check the voltage from time to time if you are storing them. And I charge with my 240 watt solar panel 20 amp ecoworthy mppt (non-lithium capable), as long as you can adjust the bulk voltage any solar controller will work.

I copy the specs from the website

Product model: SP-LFP-200AHA
Nominal capacity: 200Ah
Nominal voltage: 3.2V
Weight: 5.8kg   12.78 lb
AC impedance: ≤0.4mΩ
Cycle life: ≥2000 times, 80%DOD, capacity retention≥80%
Self-discharge rate: ≤5%
Dimension: 280*180*69mm
Standard charge/discharge current: 67A
Max.charge current: 1C(200A)
Charge cut-off voltage: 3.65V
Max.continuous discharge current: 3C(600A)
Discharge cut-off voltage: 2.5V
Operation temp.: Charge at 0℃-45℃, discharge at -20℃-45℃
Storage: -10℃-45℃
cost- 203 per battery and free shipping.

sinopoly 200 ah.jpg

active balancers
active balancers.jpg

Attachments

• sinopoly 200 ah.jpg
    sinopoly 200 ah.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 54
  • active balancers.jpg
    active balancers.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 59
thanks for your input jonyjoe.   yes, i'm seriously looking at buying a couple but now waiting to hear back from the chinese sellers.   
apparently, they ship for free which makes these batteries almost too cheap to pass up!

i dont understand why they dont have any positive feedback which is a red flag.  you'd thing that other cheap bastards like me would be all over em!   

can you recommend an overvoltage relay?

here is a reply from one of the sellers:

Hi brahmon

Attached plz see the spec, kindly confirm the max continuous discharge current 50A and peak current 100A of battery is OK for your projects? 

What's the battery application? 
How many do you need? 

Quotation would be sent upon the receipt of your reply. 

Regards, 
Nicole

how do i answer?

sorry i forgot to ask....should i buy 12v or 3v?

thanks!

for my applications, the discharge rate would be limiting. the total amp hours would be fine but my 2000 watt inverter pulls 220 amps to run some of my larger loads so i would need 4 or 5 sets of those batteries to handle the current draw.

just something to keep in mind if the 50 amp current draw would be ok for you

I've decided to buy more cheap Walmart batteries.    Why fix what ain't broke!   lol.   Tried communicating with the Chinese battery sellers which was too difficult.

I've decided to buy more cheap Walmart batteries.    Why fix what ain't broke!   lol.   Tried communicating with the Chinese battery sellers which was too difficult.

I just got 2 ampere time 200 plus lifepo's from amazon, I figured they were worth more than the FRN's I traded for them.
we will see.

I have two Ampere Time 100ah lithium's from Amazon ($399 each) and they are working perfect for me.

terranaught said:
I just got 2 ampere time 200 plus lifepo's from amazon, 
I got one of those for my first Renogy 4 panel kit. Just going the extra mile to protect them in below freezing weather. I plan to get a second one if needed. I was personally contacted from China after buying it too. They want our business and plan on being helpful. They wanted to know how I planned to heat it in freezing weather. At first I thought about a holding tank heating pad, at around 40 watts @ 12 vt dc. Now I'm just going to heat the space the batteries sit in.

I used 2 3x5 car head lights in series to heat my chicks last spring, they draw about 1.5-2 amps wired that way and put out a nice warm glow.

I  have two 200a batteries in my van and they are great so far.

Camper said:
I have two Ampere Time 100ah lithium's from Amazon ($399 each) and they are working perfect for me.

I got one of the Amazon / Ampere Time 100 Amp/Hr LiFeP04 units a couple of months ago, and while it seems to be performing properly, I'm having a strange issue when charging it with my NOCO Genius-5. 

As the battery nears full charge (13.7V +/-), the Power light and the blue, Lithium light start flashing back and forth, and they never stop. 

NOCO suggests that one or more of the cells is out of balance, and AmpereTime says it's the fault of the charger.  Wonderful.  
My guess is that it's the battery.  

I've ordered a new NOCO Genius-10 that should arrive tonight.  If it behaves the same as the Genius-5, I'll be contacting AmpereTime again.

jonyjoe303 said:
 I recommend is a 4s active balancer (about 100 dollars) , this will keep the battery in balance 24/7 when charging/discharging, you can find on amazon for 30 dollars.
the bms is just for low/high voltage control. 

Do you have to open the battery case to install the 4s balancer?  NOCO is suggesting that the BMS in my AmpereTime is tripping a relay due to a cell, or cells, being out of balance.  
They suggest I simply leave the charger connected until the problem solves itself, but that isn't happening.  Not yet at least, and I left the charger on for 24 hours past full charge.