Cheap 12vdc Powered Fluorescent Lights

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corky52

Reaction score
http://www.walmart.com/ip/16821194?www=true&productRedirect=true

I got a couple of these to play with, they use either eight AA batteries or with a little work can be used from you battery. At $6.97 they are the cheapest I've seen and putout lots of light for a very small current (200 ma).

I soldered two leads to where the battery terminals are and just hook them straight to the power through a fuse.

Leds are OK, but for the money and the light quality these are hard to beat.

Corky

20150102_183335.jpg

This is where I added the wires for external power.

Attachments

• 20150102_183335.jpg
    20150102_183335.jpg
    81.3 KB
I use to use florescent lights, 4 AA batteries and they lasted two nights. I have to say 200 Ma is a tiny draw though. That's in line with one of my 48 LED panels that run $2.

Jim,
Got a link to those 48 LED panels, I'd like to look at them.
I have problems reading by many LEDS, light color is wrong, I use some of them but the fluorescents I linked to are have a good colr spectrum for my reading.

Corky

GE 12" Fluorescent Closet Utility Light:

Installs anywhere
No costly wiring
Requires 8 AA batteries
Batteries are not included

Honestly the ones I installed were 3 years ago and the seller isn't selling no more. This is pretty much the same listing for a single to try at $1.69 shipped. I say a single because you want to make sure you like it before ordering more.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-12V-Car-4...194837?pt=US_Car_Lighting&hash=item51beb9be15

There are many many options in brightness and color now. You don't have to use panels, they make bulb style that plug in like the originals. just type in LED and your base, plus the color you like, warm or cool white into ebay and you will see more options than you ever thought possible.

I used to use fluorescent too. however they put out a lot of RF(electrical interference). this really effects radio reception especially if you are trying to pick up weak signal from a far off station. highdesertranger

HDR,
You might be right about the RF noise, I don't know as I use sat radio most of the time. I'll dig out the dx440 and check the noise one of these nights.

Corky

RF noise can be a issue with regulated LEDs too. Those are usually the considerably more expensive ones and have a working range of 8-30v. My none regulated cheapies are good from 9v to over 17v, any higher and the LEDs are the least of my problems.

corky I have the same radio. sw used to be great to listen to, especially the pirate stations, bbc, voa, and armed forces radio. jim that's good to know, I will have to keep that in mind when I build my trailer. highdesertranger

Anything with a switching regulator is likely to make RF noise and unless shielded interfere with radios.

I bought the DX440 at a garage sale for $10, some of the best money I've ever spent!!!!

Corky

yeah corky they are great little radios. I have a mfj antenna tuner to go with it. can really pull in the stations with just a piece of wire between two trees. highdesertranger

Bruce,
With batteries, the review is right, thats why I hooked mine direct to the house battery! The AA batteries are only about 1000 ma/hrs at best, about 5 hours of run time.

Corky

Latest posts