Charging to stay on BLM land?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VetOnWheels

Reaction score
Isn't BLM land supposed to be free or am I mistaken? So far, the scarce amount of BLM land I've been able to find on the west coast charge money per night to camp. Starting to get disillusioned.

I was just out west for 17 weeks and spent zero, zilch, nada dollars on campsites. Most of it was on BLM land with a few weeks of National Forest land tossed into the mix.

Freecampsites.net is your friend

I think it depends on the area and site. Some may be fee areas, particularly developed ones.

I dont think BLM has any mandate to be free for camping. National Forest is generally free to camp, unless youre in a developed campground or site. Dispersed camping is probably free in most BLM areas, just as it is in National Forests, but some may charge for whatever reason.

Most government lands allow dispersed camping. Developed areas, even if it is just a fire ring, dumpster or pit toilet cost because they require maintaining. If you are a vet most of those are 1/2 price. I suggest you use some of the sites above and for the best bang for your buck if you are over 62 years old get a lifetime National Park pass, even if you are not get an $80 annual pass and stay on public lands out side the parks to sleep and use all they have to offer during the day. Almost all have trash dumpsters, water, dump stations, picnic areas, restrooms, lodges with WiFi and AC in front desk areas, ours even has free hot showers and electrical outlets in the parking lot. The worst thing about the parks is that several are remote and things especially food and fuel are very expensive. Go inland from the coast to lakes and rivers in the more remote areas and stay away from populated areas.

slow down you need to explain this a little better.

what general area are you in?
are you trying to stay in a developed camp ground?
are you trying to stay at one of the LTVA's(long term visitor area)?
what are you looking at to find BLM land?
please explain and we will help you.

there are more than a few million acres of BLM land in the west. there should be no problem in the western US for finding BLM land.

highdesertranger

I'm currently in the Monterey Bay area, hesitant to move eastward because of extreme weather. Freecampsites.net has a couple of listings for place like a Denny's parking lot and a Flying J truck stop with no designated spots for rv/vans.

All I'm looking for is a place to park the van at night and chill during the day. Short term or long term, if possible. It's a challenge to find a new place to stealth every night. I'm finding the usual spots to park, hospitals, and store parking lots (with permission) but any help would be appreciated.

I like the OvernightRVParking app. It focuses on places to park in cities and near major highways.

The app isn't free, but its low purchase price is quickly offset by the large number of parking sites it reveals.

you are to far west. there is very little BLM land along the California coast. you need to move north into Oregon or east to the interior. I have found toe campsite apps to be rather lacking.

what is the extreme weather you are talking about? the heat? just move up in elevation. we haven't even seen 90° yet here in eastern Oregon.

highdesertranger

Yes, the heat. I started out in L.A.and found anywhere east of that had 100 degree or more temps. I think heading up to east OR might be a good plan. I was just trying to get out of CA ASAP. Might take me a bit, though.

So what's there to do in east OR? I hear prospecting is all the rage.

"I hear prospecting is all the rage."

LOL

I am going to be picking someone in the next day or two to join me at my mining camp. get signed up.

highdesertranger

I was assuming you were in a more rural area. I wasn't far from the Pacific for a while, but stayed a couple/few hours away. I live in an overpopulated area of Florida and wasn't in a rush to be near more of it. In AZ, there is BLM land nearer civilization and plenty of it. National Forest also

My understand is the closer you are to major population centers, the more restrictions you will find on public land. The impact of more and more people using it have caused the regulation, like fees and numbers of people allowed such as at developed campgrounds, or outright closures of some areas.

In some places, like N Az even back when I was there, they had begun closing many two track dirt roads, partly to reduce maintenance and wear and tear on them, and partly to allow more roadless areas for animal habitat use and people that arent motorized access oriented. Yep, crazy, but some people get out and walk.

Yeah, I'm staying in cities because it's easier access to facilities, and I havent developed the skill to find remote places to sleep for a night or two. All the places I find cost money, closed or not for rv/vans.

I would stop in the local National Forest district office when in a new area and get one of the paper maps. They often have good info on places to go, but Im guessing anything close by large population centers will either have partiers in such places that are close by, or not allow dispersed camping.

You may be able to access Forest Service maps online. The actual paper maps had all the little two track roads. I recently looked at google maps for businesses in N Az recently and they had many of the two track dirt roads shown. I was surprised.

VetOnWheels said:
Yes, the heat. I started out in L.A.and found anywhere east of that had 100 degree or more temps. I think heading up to east OR might be a good plan. I was just trying to get out of CA ASAP. Might take me a bit, though.

So what's there to do in east OR? I hear prospecting is all the rage.
 California coast is expensive for everything. Especially in the Bay Area. 

Lots of scenery and hiking trails everywhere in the west. Also, lots of hunting and fishing.

And when you get tired of hiking, doing absolutely nothing feels pretty darned good.

Even in southern California, heading UP into the Sierra Nevada will pretty much always find you cool sleeping spots, even when the days are warm/hot.