Charge controller question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrm11759

Reaction score
Hi Vanners:  I am building out a 1998 E 250 van and have a question about the electrical system.  I will have two 125 Ah AGM batteries in the van that will be supplied by the engine alternator via a smart battery isolator and shore power.  My question is do I need a charge controller to regulate the voltage when charging the batteries?  I will also have a 1500 W inverter/Charger [Samlex Solar PST-1500-12 PST Series Pure Sine Wave Inverter] connected to the batteries.  Just not sure if the inverter/charger and the battery isolator will overcharge the batteries.  Any assistance is appreciated!

Not according to the conversation I had with the Exide engineers about this very thing. I charged 2 deep cylces from the alternator voltage of my Wrangler, worked like a charm.

Boondock Saint said:
Not according to the conversation I had with the Exide engineers about this very thing. I charged 2 deep cylces from the alternator voltage of my Wrangler, worked like a charm.
Thanks!

ok a couple of points,

relying on the alternator as the sole charge source is a poor choice.
you mentioned shore power, how often?
it's takes many, many hours of driving at highway speeds(5-8) to recharge a depleted battery.
sitting and idling won't cut it.

don't get me wrong the alternator SHOULD be used as a SECONDARY charge source.
an alternator is self regulating.
what is this "Smart Battery Isolator" that you are talking about?
lots of details missing, please fill us in a little better and we can give better advice.

highdesertranger

its next to impossible to overcharge your agms even with the alternator, if anything you might undercharge them. Check to see what the max charge voltage is, i got 2 agm's that require 14.7 volts to reach a full charge, most alternators max out at 14.4 volts. i have a special dc to dc charger to top them off at 14.7 volts.

Also if you got any voltage drop from alternator/isolator to the batteries, they might not even reach 14.4 volts. It would be a good idea to check the voltage at the battery terminals to make sure they are reaching at least 14.4 volts.