Charge controller limits - Watts/Amps

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VernContra

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Renogy Rover 20Amp MPPT Charge controller.  The Specs for it state; 'Max Power Input: 12V @ 260W" and “PV Input Voltage Range: 15V – 100V VOC”.
My Renogy Eclipse 100 Watt Panels have specifications of: “Short-Circuit Current (Isc): 6.10A” and “Open-Circuit Voltage (Voc): 21.2V”
Why does the Controller have the input limit of 260 Watts on the Charge Controller?  I would think the controller could handle three 100 watt panels in series, 6.1 Amps and 63.6 Volts.  If wiring in Parallel wouldn’t it be 18.3 Amps and 21.2 Volts?  Is it just a safety factor?

Ask Renogy about it.

Overloading a controller can cook it.

"Max Power Input" maybe it's for connecting power to the controller from an outside source other than PV. Like hooking it up to your 12v battery to check settings or program changes and general testing. Don't know for sure but that is my best guess.

The most important for you is the PV Input voltage, PV Input Current and the Battery Charging Current.
Since it is a 20A MPPT CC, I would say you are capable of delivering 20A of charging current to your battery bank.

In order to see if you can wire your panels in parallel, your Charge Controller will have a current limit, "Max PV input Current Cut-off...or similar". This figure will limit how large your parallel system can go.

It's best, especially for small solar panel systems to put panels in series, but not greater than the upper voltage range. The Charge Controller will transform the 61v @ 6A to 12/24v @ 20A for charging the battery bank.

Here are a bunch of charge controllers @ altE. Pick a few different manufacturers and see what the spec sheets say about various inputs and outputs. Choose ones with nearly the same 20A MPPT description. You'll learn by consensus, multiple viewpoints of the same subject.
https://www.altestore.com/store/cha...ar-charge-controllers-c474/?sort=price&page=1

theBest said:
The most important for you is the PV Input voltage, PV Input Current and the Battery Charging Current.
Since it is a 20A MPPT CC, I would say you are capable of delivering 20A of charging current to your battery bank.

In order to see if you can wire your panels in parallel, your Charge Controller will have a current limit, "Max PV input Current Cut-off...or similar". This figure will limit how large your parallel system can go.

It's best, especially for small solar panel systems to put panels in series, but not greater than the upper voltage range. The Charge Controller will transform the 61v @ 6A to 12/24v @ 20A for charging the battery bank.

Here are a bunch of charge controllers @ altE. Pick a few different manufacturers and see what the spec sheets say about various inputs and outputs. Choose ones with nearly the same 20A MPPT description. You'll learn by consensus, multiple viewpoints of the same subject.
https://www.altestore.com/store/charge-controllers/solar-charge-controllers/mppt-solar-charge-controllers-c474/?sort=price&page=1
Other Manufacturers were more limiting with their acceptable input wattage for the same current. 
The Spec sheet for my CC has over voltage and over current protection from the PV array but it doesn't say what it is.
I am debating increasing my PV array from 200 to 300 Watts and thought I would not have to buy a bigger charge controller. 
I guess that was a pipe dream. BTW I do run in series.  I have 200AH in my TV and 200AH in my Aliner.  I  use very little in either system so that a 100W PV can usually  top them both in a day.  Recent weather and smoke has got me thinking of adding more panels.
Thanks for the help getting me thinking in the right direction. :D