Cell Replaces Computer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corky52

Reaction score
I ordered this MHL to HDMI adapter and have been playing with it while it's to hot here to do much else, kind of mind blowing.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XVFVKR8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

I have my wireless keyboard and track ball, 32 in TV, charger and extra memory card all hooked up now.

Cell is a Samsung Galaxy S5.  It appears to be able to do nearly everything I want, with a large display.  To many apps to even scratch the surface.

Corky

So hook this up and my phone will display normal on a monitor? That would be wonderful.

Jim,
Yes, no, maybe!!!!!!

MHL is a standard that lets you hook the video from cells that support it to HDMI or DVI-D.  Not all cellphones support MHL, so you have some checking to do.

I'm hooked up to a 32" TV with multiple HDMI inputs, getting 1280x1080 res.

Corky

Ok I think I have it. I was hoping it would display forums like this so I could see them on a normal screen and type on a keyboard. With that and the 10 gigs from Cricket, I wouldn't need the cable really.

We have both a S4 and S5. I bought my S4 days before they released the S5. :(

Jim,
I'm posting from my S5 right now, display is on big screen, using a wireless trackball and keyboard from Logitech.  

You will also need a cable that goes from HDMI to either DVI-D or HDMI, that's not included.

Corky

Jim,
By the way S5 will work as a phone and still provide a wifi hotspot at the same time.  I'm not sure about S4, it might also do the same.  You can share hotspot with up to five devices.

Corky

Cricket disables the tethering and hot spot abilities as far as I know or I would have shut down the cable long ago.

Wish I could get the S5. I had the S3 for 3 years before I had to get a new phone, but just can't justify the cost. The Moto E I bought doesn't quite tick me off yet enough to plunk down that much dough though. :( Am glad you are liking it, I'm an Android fan. :)

I don't use Honeys S5 often so I really don't know what the differences are. You should be able to get a S5 cheaper now that the 6 is out and a 4 even cheaper.

Jim,
Have you tried to turn on the tethering, I was told that it was turned off on my Verizon as well, but it wasn't!!!
Never trust the sales types!!!!

Costs nothing to to try!

Corky

Theadyn,
Think I saw S5's for less than $100 the other day, might want to check around.  I found I didn't like the S6 all that well.

Corky

When I first got the phone the tethering option was in the settings but turned off. now I can't even find the tethering at all.

Tool bar at the top, pull down

Pick the gear looking icon

pick "more networks"

Corky

I've been there, the option is removed. Trying PDAnet now, wireless says not supported but the usb works great.

YAHOO I can kill the cable now. That's over a $100 a month.

Okay... I don't follow much of what is on this thread BUT....

I thought if your carrier's contract says no tethering... then they can charge you for the data that rolls through?????? I mean they still see your data usage, right?

When asked, they said they don't have a tether plan or sell the hotspots, not they forbid it. some phones have the features and if you can find one of their hotspots, I have read it can be activated.

Even with the few games, my data usage is a blip on my plan. Email and forums just don't use much.

corky52 said:
Theadyn,
Think I saw S5's for less than $100 the other day, might want to check around.  I found I didn't like the S6 all that well.

Corky

Can you remember where?? I've looked around Amazon, even the refurbished ones are over $200. Any help appreciated, I much prefer my Samsung over this Motorola phone. Thanks!!

Latest posts