Cargo Conversion Progress / Winter

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoadtripsAndCampfires

Reaction score
We primed the metal
put in the insulation
 primed and painted walls and put them up
laid down a plank floor - didn't like it and stopped half way.  It was heavy and we just didn't like it.
laid down a marble looking vinyl foor - the adhesive recommended made us not like the result and we took it up
laid down a cushion vinyl one-piece floor and love it.
Propane pipes are in (not hoses) for the fridge as well as one for cooking/heating and another quick connect outside for use.

The windows are almost painted but we have done nothing to install them.
The frames are made for the tub and 7 cubic foot 3-way fridge but they are not installed yet.
The sink and counter are in but not plumbed.
The Fantastic Vent is painted but not yet started to be put in.
No electrical or batteries yet - need all the surge protectors, fuse boxes, etc.
Just changed our minds about the beds and researching our change.
We need to put up a ceiling faceboard over the insulation.
We need to add a couple separation walls.
I need an RV lock instead of the cargo lock on the front door.

It's winter in Colorado - let's move into the inside of the house and look around:

The dining room has the truck bed liner laid out with everything we want to take in the truck bed packed nicely in it's permanent tub or bag.
THIS IS WHERE THE Minimalist Plan completely breaks down.  It won't be until the trailer is finished and weighed that I will know how much weight I have to play with and how much of what is on that truck bed liner will get to come.  But for now - it all fits, that is once we make a garage for the truck bed to contain it.  And that will be weight.  Note - there are no storage bays on the trailer so if we want to be able to move around at all in the trailer we need to make use of the truck bed for storage.

The above at least let me know what I cannot take.  I won't know what might not go above until the truck is finished but I already know there is no more that can go so the garage sale list is getting larger.  Things like the 27 pound folding Red Wagon.  The pre-loaded box of firewood.  

At this point it is trade-this-for-that mode.  

The living room conatains all my kitchen food, pans and utinsels packed into tubs and on a 3-tiered shelf I will be building the pantry around.    At least Wayne and I are figuring out if the pantry assembled will meet our needs and we are learning what is stored in which box - I'll be adding cute labels to make it easier.  But my kitchen is empty (almost).

The dining room table is in the living room with photos to scan over and under it.  The garage still has items to dispose of like a freezer, garden and tools, paint, bedroom furniture.

We have the Honda generator and want to add solar but might not get the solar on until after we take off.

I have until May, our planned take off month.  

Breathe.
Breathe.

Smiling at Regis101.

I think we'e almost finalized the kitchen storage. Great progress this weekend. I rearranged the back of the truck stuff 4 times now and managed to get both the red wagon and the walker in.

Hey,

You mentioned bed. Take a look at Youtube video.
Cargo trailer to camper conversion
By Brian Rogers

Absolutely most creative bed idea I have seen.

That's a nice setup for someone under 40.  Ha ha.  Not with 2 replaced hips, nope LOL.  

I am very excited, the water tank and mattresses arrived so now we can finalize the design.