Cargo camper windows

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dean and Buster

Reaction score
Wanting to put windows in my cargo trailer. Wall studs are 16 on center I do not want to cut the steel wall studs so what size of windows can In between the studs.

probably 12 or 14. I don't know what type of windows you are thinking of but, DO NOT use residential windows.

cutting out the studs is really no big deal you simply reinforce around the window and tie into the studs.

highdesertranger

Check out Johnson Supply and Bontrager’s web site; they have thousands of new, Surplus RV windows in stock. They are both located in White Pigeon, Michigan.

Hope this helps.

^^^^ those are exactly the type of windows that we DON'T recommend you install in a cargo trailer (or any kind of trailer).

The square windows do NOT fare well going on down the road.

Always use RV style windows with the radius corners and automotive glass.

do not use windows or doors with square corners. they are not meant for mobile applications. I don't know how many times I have posted this info. the square corner will stress fracture under flexing and vibration. that's why they don't use them on planes, RV's, boats, or even cars and trucks. highdesertranger

To each his own! All older campers used there type windows, before "purty" was more important than function.

older campers used the square windows because they either didn't know better or didn't care.

giving bad advice is just wrong it has nothing to do with pretty or function. even on houses you get stress fractures at the 90° corners of windows and doors and houses don't drive down the road.

highdesertranger

I too needed windows to install between 16" center-to-center steel wall "rafters" when I converted my cargo trailer. My trailer had the "Z" type vertical rafters in the wall. The link is at the bottom.

You must select the 14" wide window, with a trim thickness the same as your wall thickness. It was easy to cut through the aluminum skin and interior plywood with a saber saw and a 24 tooth blade. You will be surprised how easy it is. On one of the windows I nicked the steel Z rafter, but that didn't hurt-- it just slowed the cutting down some.

Here is what I used.

highdesertranger said:
older campers used the square windows because they either didn't know better or didn't care.

giving bad advice is just wrong it has nothing to do with pretty or function.  even on houses you get stress fractures at the 90° corners of windows and doors and houses don't drive down the road.

highdesertranger

Just because you disagree does not make it bad advice. Properly framed the window will be fine (no flex in the frame means no flex in the window). Very opinion (yes, even yours) should be taken with a VERY large grain of salt. School buses do not use rounded windows.
Every one should look are different options and make up their own minds.

It has more to do with installation technique than if the window has squared or rounded corners. Why are there so many very old trailers still on the road, square corners and all. Check "Tin-Can-Tourist" with all their antique trailers.

Sorry I missed the OP.

These folks make great custom windows, any size. I have two installed in my cargo trailer, one on each side, between the factory framing. They went through Hurricane Harvey in Galveston and did not leak a drop. Super high quality, made to order.

https://www.motionwindows.com/

Johnny

"I do know tempered glass is what should be used", no it should be automotive safety glass. highdesertranger

Most automotive safety glass today is tempered glass. Except USA windshields, because of some regulation that was needed in the 30's when FoMoCo laminated glass was imposed. The best part of automotive laminated glass is it can be cut to size. Can't do that with tempered. That must be cut first, then tempered.
Not sure if that regulation is still in effect, but most USA vehicles on the road have laminated windshields.

From around 1980 untill at least 2000 school buses in Kentucky used tempered glass in all windows but the windshield. A lot of times school buses are exempted from federal standards. No time limits for drive times or log books for drivers also. So when it comes to saving money don't do what the federal government does. Use the best materials and engineering you can afford.