Canadian new to the forum 52yo

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_KJ_

Reaction score
Hello all 
I’m KJ from Vancouver Island BC Canada

Just joined and trying to get the lay of the land here. 

I currently have a lil minivan (07 Dodge Grand Caravan w sto-n-go) and dreaming and scheming about moving up to a short-bus type conversion. I’ve chosen my conversion co (in Calgary Alberta) and now looking for the short bus to convert.

In the meantime because I’m in no rush I’ll just use my little minivan. 

I work in the movie biz here in Vancouver,
I’m a 30yr Teamsters L 155 member. (Driver)  It’s possible for me to work 6mo/yr and take the remaining 6mos off travelling in my van. This is my goal. 

I have several mental health challenges that make it tough for me at times. But mostly I’m ok. 

I’m really happy to find his forum. Recently I had to close my FB acct because we have NDA’s at work and it’s just best I don’t have fb. (I f’d up) 
And I was feeling really lost without the online support was getting through special vanlife fb groups. 

I find these online support forums to be very beneficial for me. 

KJ 
Ps tried to attach a pic of my van but got an error message file is too big.

Oh and I’m solo lady traveller (and intend to stay that way) so really hoping to find support here.

Welcome Kj to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

Thanks, eh!
Sorry getting used to the forum haven’t found the edit button yet.

Welcome KJ! I live on Vancouver Island and am a solo 50+ woman traveler in a Grand Caravan, too. Not in the movie industry, but I know people who are. I run my own business. Nice to meet you here! :)

KJ, welcome to the forums! I am a believer in starting with what you have and working up from there, one day at a time. I'm still in an apartment, but am starting with travels in my car... and hope to get to the January 2019 RTR in my car with a tent. I do plan to get a large van for a comfortable tiny home on wheels, but it will take time...

Welcome from a new 58 year old from Wisconsin! Where do you plan on traveling? I will be heading toward NV in a few weeks.

HI! I think it is wonderful you can have that split life. 6 months working and then you have a total 6 months of freedom without worry! Travel and roam as you wish. I wish you nothing but the best in your future travels! Sounds like you are heading into great new adventures!

Hello Kj!
You and dawnann7, Vancouver Island sounds idyllic!!

Thanks folks! So nice to meet you all. I’ll be back on the island soon as I need to clean out that pesky storage locker!!

Storage lockers seem like a waste of money to me. I've had them before - but this time I want to give away almost everything and go very minimalistic so far as I can. I wish you luck on letting go of everything you don't really need. Letting go can be an amazing, freeing experience. I will try it myself, today, as I'm still in an apartment and need to get on with the downsizing. I estimate another six months here, then van life with no fixed abode.

Thanks for the messages everyone! I’m going though a low point right now. Burnt out from work.

I feel like hitting he road.

So, Will be boondocking on Central Vancouver island for a while so any Vancouver islanders please hit me up to go for a hike or a coffee or whatever

KJ

You GO girl!! Let me know if you head southwest toward RTR. Would love to share the road with someone!

Thanks Linda! I really do want to! A little down time on the Wild West Coast will do me some good. Then I can figure out what I want

Thanks all for the warm welcome, going through a rough time right now and it means the world, more than you know!!