Can I saw off this metal?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

econofine

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm just beginning to convert my 94 Ford E150. I've gotten everything down to bare metal, and I'm wondering how important this wonky inner metal layer and the metal sheet above the rear of the van are to the foundational structure of the van. I'm thinking off sawing a lot of it off so that I can get my insulation and walls flush and have a little more interior space. Terrible idea?

20190616_212708.jpg
20190614_194038.jpg

Attachments

• 20190616_212708.jpg
    20190616_212708.jpg
    452.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 20190614_194038.jpg
    20190614_194038.jpg
    797.1 KB · Views: 26
that is the structural integrity of the van. I wouldn't cut it off unless it was absolutely necessary. to make it easier to install insulation is not a good reason in my book. someone already cut at least one side rib out to install that window. highdesertranger

Unless you weld in some beefy reinforcements I think the back corners of the roof and walls would flex and rack. That could pop the rivets holding the fiberglass top. I think it could also keep the back doors from sealing properly or staying closed.

+1 to leave it alone.  That top section stiffens the corners for the rear door hinges and weather seal where the doors meet in the center.  Theoretically... you could remove it but you'd have to fabricate some pieces triangulating the ends of the crossbeam to the door center to keep the top corner from flexing/cracking.  However, that would just be a bunch of busy work, in a tight spot with the lid installed, welding right next to fiberglass, and in the end it likely wouldn't be any stronger than what you already have in there.  So much better to just leave it alone...  It does make a natural spot for nice shelf though...  

I was surprised at how much inner structure they removed below and aft of the side window until I looked closer.  Seems they did that to fit the picture frame window sill.  The remaining structure won't really do much now.  If it's not needed for mounting interior panels you could probably trim the rest of that off the top of the wheel well, down to to maybe 2" or so (leave the spotwelds) and still have some there for stiffness and mounting points.  It might open up some extra space for cubbies or other gear in that area.