Camping Resources & Apps

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A Savage Adventure

Reaction score
Just before the forums crashed, someone started a thread with some useful links and I later asked about apps for finding campsites and BLM, etc.

I just bookmarked https://freecampsites.net/ but was wondering what other useful links others can share.

Also, in several threads people have referred to Apps that help them out. I am familiar with Gas Buddy and Trip Advisor, but it seems people have apps for finding places to camp and any good apps would be useful resources if you can share them.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Savage,

I am a HUGE fan of the Allstays app.  You can use it on your phone or off the website, allstays.com.

The app is great.  We used it for the first time last year when we rented an RV to bring our son to college.  It uses your GPS map to show where you are, and where there are services and camping around you, and it shows EVERYTHING: gas stations, dump stations, wal-marts, cracker barrels, state parks, state forests, KOAs, private campgrounds, even restricted height overpasses.  It relieved a lot of stress knowing that we could check this app and know that we had a place to pull over in 7 miles, 12 miles, 18 miles, etc.

Also, think about Boondockers Welcome (boondockerswelcome.com)  It is a membership of like-minded folks who share their driveways, yards, property, etc. to folks who want/need to pull over for a night (or two, or three). There are urban, suburban, and rural locations, and although I haven't yet actually stayed anywhere yet (mainly because of scheduling conflicts), the reviews of the sites and the hosts are wonderful.  You do need to pay for a membership, but it's very little $30 per year if you just want to camp, $15 a year if you are also willing to host.

Hope this helps!

BigRockSpeaker said:
I am a HUGE fan of the Allstays app.  You can use it on your phone or off the website, allstays.com.

Big help! Thank you! However, when I search for, "allstays" on the Google Play Store I get a list as shown in the attachment. Which one of these is the app you're using?

P.S. - I will also look into the Boondockers site. I remember seeing one of Bob's videos interviewing the woman setting it up. At the time it wasn't relevant to me.

I just assumed that the app works for Android; unfortunately, it doesn't - it's only on iPhone, and online.

I think the video you're referring to on Bob's channel is about "Boondockers Unite," a group that was formed to promote and advance the cause of boondockers through education, benevolence and community service.  A great group, but unfortunately i don't think there's a big following back East where I am.

BigRockSpeaker said:
I just assumed that the app works for Android; unfortunately, it doesn't - it's only on iPhone, and online.

Well, that explains a lot! Every time I try to look up the app, I don't see what everyone is talking about. Perhaps I am a rare Android user.  :p

skyl4rk said:
Allstays Camp and RV is the app you want.

BigRockSpeaker says this is for iPhone only. :(

skyl4rk said:
Apps:
IOverlander
Alltrails

Thanks for sharing your other resources...bookmarking the websites now! ;)

BigRockSpeaker said:
I think the video you're referring to on Bob's channel is about "Boondockers Unite," a group that was formed to promote and advance the cause of boondockers through education, benevolence and community service.  A great group, but unfortunately i don't think there's a big following back East where I am.

You are correct. I confused your resource with: https://www.boondockersunited.com/ ([font=Lato, sans-serif]Members Only Mobile Community dedicated to Camping.[/font])

I think the optional membership fees thing is what I confused them. I have bookmarked both sites for further explaoration.