Campbell’s split pea soup

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HDR: thanks! I'll try to remember to remind/nudge you. :)

I will try this again, possibly this week, using the new algorithm described above.

I'm also hoping to have the opportunity to finally try out my thrift store crockpot. :)
One of the things I'm hoping will work well in it is canned soup/pasta, left in the can (i.e. no extra cleanup).

When I was in s&b, whenever I saw a decent sale on soup, I usually would stock up 10-40 cans.
That habit may not translate to boondocking, since it's harder for me to know about sales now (thanks to all who share online sales), and cleanup is an order of magnitude higher
Heating for "free"(prepaid) in the can would be a major help.
Note that I have successfully used my car's dash to heat canned pasta to the perfect (for me) eating temp, which rocked. :)

Qxxx said:
It was my first (and last) attempt, but seems to me that boiling for 15 minutes and cooking for another hour is a pretty simple algorithm. It's possible that soaking overnight would help, but as I mentioned, I have a dozen other foods that are easier to cook, and next to zero cleanup mess afterwards. After 6 months total traveling in my van, I've developed a pretty efficient cooking style. One pot used only for boiling water, and a non-stick frying pan for the cooking bit. But then, I'm no cajun cook either.

+1 on not being a chef :)
Thursday is my six month continuous-full-time anniversary, and I too have a few very simple foods that I eat the most.
Cup-o-Noodles has become one of my favorites, largely because it can be done with room temp water, partly because it has veggies & requires no field cleanup (just washing the cups in town, before recycling).

I have a kettle for boiling water, and it's the #1 tool I use the most.
My 2nd most used is a non-stick fry pan (grilled sandwiches, eggs, hashbrowns), distantly followed by a pot that I use just for simple stuff (Shepherd's Pie, mac&cheese).
Like you, I use a piece of bread to pre-scrub out the last bits of goodness. :)

" canned soup/pasta, left in the can ".

Best not heat things in the original cans, they use a plastic coating inside that will probably melt with to much heat.

"a pot that I use just for simple stuff (Shepherd's Pie, mac&cheese)".

I forgo the pot as it takes too much cleanup. Mac&cheese, any kind of soup, too much mess for this puppy.

Another thought but more expensive is one of the Manischewitz Soup Mixes. Minestrone, bean, split pea, lentil, etc. Should be around $2-3 per tube (long thin cellophane bags). Already has spices and any extra veggies depending on variety.
Should be able to find in some of the larger Walmart’s or other grocery chains. Walmart could have a Great Value version but I haven’t seen.

Streits is another brand of similar soup mixes. Looking at Amazon this brand may now come in a box vs the cellophane bag.
There are many other brands of soup mixes but they are likely more expensive. These two brands were a way to make an inexpensive pot of soup with little/no skill. —Amazon reviews often give easy ways to jazz up.

Not certain these would be good ‘thermos’ items, maybe some sort of slow cooker

Thanks guys - food for thought. :)

Took a look for recipes, and found this:
https://www.spendwithpennies.com/split-pea-soup/
She says presoaking the peas saves a lot of cooking time, and recommends at least 4 hours or even overnight.
Next time, I will aim for that! :)
First I'll rinse, then just leave them in a regular bowl overnight, then try the approach I outlined previous page.
Will report back. :)

P.S Qxxx: I've never used a slow cooker before. My understanding (which could be wrong) is that it's a lower, gentler heat. The one I bought (2 bucks!) is small, old, and only has a "low" heat setting. I gather the plastic lining is only an issue with high heat, however I could be mistaken.

Kaylee said:
P.S Qxxx: I've never used a slow cooker before. My understanding (which could be wrong) is that it's a lower, gentler heat. The one I bought (2 bucks!) is small, old, and only has a "low" heat setting. I gather the plastic lining is only an issue with high heat, however I could be mistaken.
No idea, other peoples have those things, not me. Also, to be clear, I meant plastic lining in cans, not the cooker.

Note that the recipe link above also mentions using a Dutch oven.
Perhaps that's why HDR considers it quick & easy? :)

Qxxx:
Yup, it was very clear that you meant overheating the lining of the cans, not the cooker. :)

Also, with the exception of that new Shepherd's Pie I've been hacking, I use my pot at most once per week, usually at the very end, for the exact same reason you state. :)
It took me a while to realize most (all?) of the CRVL/etc forum folks talking about complex, high-cleanup recipes, aren't on the road. #doh#
I can be thick. :)

Love your sig change! :)
Dear Muggles: September is Firefly Appreciation Month.
Yes, fer real. :)
We're coming up on the 17th anniversary of the first broadcast... 17 is a prime number. River Tam would delight in that. :D

highdesertranger said:
Q you do realize that simmer is a slow boil right?
It was doing a pretty good slow boil, and I did need to add extra water a couple of times, so I couldn't have cooked it any faster without total burn. Trust me, I'm an expert at burning food.

Thanks Sofi! :)
Yes, "creamy consistency" is what I'd like. :)

The bag didn't mention soaking.
HDR was the one who said soaking wasn't necessary.

If I soak them overnight, is hot water & thermos going to help much?
My goal (and Qxxx too) is to minimize fuel usage.

My plan is to: rinse, soak overnight, rinse again, boil water to warm thermos, leave hot water in thermos for not too long, remove water & re-boil, put peas+et-al into warm thermos, quickly add boiling water to thermos.
I'm hoping that will be klutz-proof and retain heater better than my first attempt. :)

I know soaking helps to reduce farting with regular beans, however my impression was that isn't an issue with split peas.

Nice to hear other people's experiences with reconstituting dried peas. I imagine the long presoak really helps, but as Kaylee said, my main interest is foods that require minimal fuel.

Being able to curl up with a warm thermos during soup season is fuel well spent, I think.  Soaking overnight always gives me creamy split peas, and also shorter cooking time the next day.  With the shorter cooking time you will break even, or maybe come out ahead on fuel usage.  I mostly make the dry legume dishes in a solar oven, which is very economical on fuel.  It usually takes longer to be done, but adds to the soft temperature/fully cooked meal.  It is like an electric crockpot.

LOL! +1 HDR :)
Thanks tamewolf! :)
With that image floating in my brain, I decided to start another batch, and have just the split peas (rinsed twice) soaking in my thermos.
I just have to remember it tomorrow. :)
Will have access to a microwave for a bit, so I'll just drain the water, add spices & veg to thermos, then nuke-boil water for it.

Will take pics & report back if I don't explode. ;)

Sofi:
After re-reading your post, I now understand that the boiling water during soaking is to inhibit sprouting.
The peas are so cheap, I'll risk it, but will inspect some of them tomorrow after carefully draining then re-rinsing.

Looking forward to seeing how the experiments go.

New Thought/Question:
Maybe I should wait until I'm ready to eat it, before adding the bacon bits?
I don't have a fridge, so my bacon bits are at room temperature.

I know just barely enough about cooking to know that, in this scenario, it's generally good to "bloom" the spices (i.e. let them steep in hot water to enhance their effectiveness).
Do bacon bits bloom?!? :D

I expect to do the microwave water nuking between 10 & 11am, then actually eat the soup for dinner.
Will pick up sandwich fixings to supplement, if necessary.

Edit To Add:
Been meaning to mention that up here (northern WI/MI), the leaves are already turning. It's definitely Soup Season up here! :)
Since I've already paid for the split peas, have the spices, and have both BaconBits & a box of SPAM Singles, I'm equipped & highly motivated to hack this. :D

yeah the further north you go the longer the "Soup Season" kinda opposite the growing season that you see on the back of seed packets. LOL highdesertranger

I love soup and make a good pot at least 1-2 a week at home, I have been thinking on it this week as it is getting time to start making it. I have seen somewhere about a pot wrap that is for slow cooking, something about boiling 'what ever' just for a few minutes and the putting it in the highly padded wrap for 8-9 hours and when opened again it is still very hot. I wondered if this would be the same with the old heavy duty thermas and a wrap of super insulation (don't know what yet). My hubby would be very happy if he could still get his soup and I would be happy and find a good book and snuggle up with a bowl to. As far as clean up I'll do it just for the soup. Thank you everyone for the reminder.
Oh yea my kids still ask for homemade FROOZEN split pea soup as part of their Christmas care packages.....SO Yummy. Split pea soup freezes and reheats VERY well. I would love to hear how the spam goes, as I in vision it just dissolving into nothing, but it would pack easy and not need fridge.
I would do canned but most canned is highly salted, not good for our blood pressure. Thank you for the shopping tip. I haven't really thought to use Amazon for food stuff but I will give it a try.

Kaylee, yes I would wait to put bacon bits in soup. On a stove putting in earlier would likely be fine as heat would stay high enough. As thermos might not keep temps as high i’d wait till the end.

- There are several thermos type cookers that initially sit on stove to bring to boil (5-10+ min), then right into an insulated cover. The gold standard is a Nissan version of 10+ years ago. (Check https://theboatgalley.com/ for info on it) But it’s likely too large for one person (and van space) and hard to find the original, expensive, really great version.

Recently found a smaller Thermos Brand Thermal Cooker 1.5L (RPF-20) on Amazon but found cheaper on ebay about $82. It seems to be a good one (made great yogurt) but for the price you could buy extra propane for a long time to reheat your current thermos cooking. Saratoga Jack also makes a thermos type cooker in two sizes but the small one may still be too bulky for van living. http://www.saratogajacks.com/

Thanks for all the helpful info! :)

Ok, had schedule slippage, but did remember to tend my thermos (despite forgetting to put it on my ToDo list).
The peas had swelled moderately, and I was very glad I had added more water than I originally expected (been there, done that, a lot!).
When I rinsed them, they were a lot firmer than I expected.
There were no signs of sprout growth, but it did have a gentle smell that felt like "growth" (kind of earthy).

While the water was nuke-boiling, added (to the peas in the thermos) half a ramen chicken-flavor packet (carefully saved from last time), then garlic powder, ground pepper, and DollarTree "Italian seasoning" (Firefly buddies: it contains both rosemary & marjoram - Shepherd Book would approve!). :)
Last time, I may not have included the Italian seasoning.

I'll add the bacon bits tonight, just before eating.
Didn't take any pics, but will try to do so tonight (did add that to my ToDo list). Next batch, will take bunch of pics at each step. :)
Will be urban boondocking, so cleanup will be much less hassle.

vanbrat: Interesting thought & mental image!!! :)
This time, I'm just doing BaconBits, but if it goes ok, I'll make more batches over the next week, and will definitely try a Spam Single (probably half of one, and eat the rest earlier in the day).

Since I have to urban boondock until right after the 18th, I'll be doing a bunch of experiments, plus clearing out some old canned goods that would benefit from having a real toilet nearby. :)

Firtree: Thanks for bringing up this topic! I'd been meaning to try this for a while, so it gave me the extra incentive. :)
I just checked my records, and I bought my (now main) thermos (REI house brand 18.5 fluid oz) during an REI sale for $17 almost exactly 7 years ago.
I concur with your cost analysis. :)
I suspect it would be relatively straight forward to find a good solid "normal" thermos in a thrift store.

I'm waiting to make my usual recipe in my instant-pot to see how pressure cooking it turns out. o

I start with a bag of split green peas and soak them for about 12 hours. In water.

Then pour off the water.  Add a 32 oz container of Chicken stock.(dollar tree)
Then 32 oz water.  A couple of Beef Bouillon cubes.  A diced yellow onion and bay leaf.
2 TB of margarine. 

This is brought to a vigorous boil for about a half an hour and turned to a simmer for about 3 hours.
Then a pound or more of smoked sausage is cut into slices and added in.  Cooked for another half hour.

This is seasoned with some liquid smoke and summer savory. Stir well and use a potato masher if you want to
mash up the peas to thicken the soup.