Buying Cheap Land?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
regarding post number 20. One thing is though if he has a piece of land that is developed around that makes his value go up so he can sell it and buy elsewhere. That’s what my cousin did he paid 500 for a small cabin and an acre and a half added acres over the years for very little money ended up selling it all for $80,000 because the valley became filled with full-time homes. So that could be a silver lining. But the problem is as the song says they’re going to pave paradise and put up a parking lot.

PS. That land went up in price over a period of almost 55 years. So it’s probably always going up with development around it but it’ll take years to really rip the big money. But often that’s one of the best investments you can get. Very rarely goes backwards.

Cammalu said:
I know many don’t want to be East but I have a house in KY on beautiful acreage. I see campers being used on properties all the time for years.

Anyone interested I can point you to location. Plenty of fishing there.

Kentucky is beautiful land. I'm surprised that more people have not started to migrate there. A lot of it is 'old land' though that has been in families for generations. Probably hard to find, and expensive if you do.

mattvei said:
check out gramkracker's youtube channel. He just did 2 episodes on tax lien sales in AZ. Very few people know about this. I've been messing with them for 40 years. Only downside is every county in the country has different rules. Advantage is the money players avoid vacant land. Another point, with the advent of LOE satellite internet in a few years, you'll have cell and internet everywhere
I wrote in a different land thread (active now) about my 37 years ago experience with cheap tax sale property in S Colorado.  It was a fail.  Doesn't mean it all is by any means but I ended up giving the 8 tax lots away due to county restrictions and their later on requirement that all registered owners had to have a septic permit on file with the county.  It simply was a revenue grab but would have cost me $4500 for the 8 lots so I quit claim deeded them to a local.  Maybe he developed them at some time but he had to pay the $4500.

I found that in S Colorado anyway, tax sale land wasn't worth it.

JasonMcD said:
Kentucky is beautiful land. I'm surprised that more people have not started to migrate there. A lot of it is 'old land' though that has been in families for generations. Probably hard to find, and expensive if you do.

Pretty cheap actually.

^^^If you are lucky you have lots of black berries on it for free!

My arms are scarred up from blackberries they reach out and slice you up while you are trying to mow.

They make a great fence if you can keep the sprouts from spreading!

It’s those sprouts that always nail me. I keep clippers on the mower but I still get caught.

Last month I bought a 2 acre parcel near Lyman Lakes just south of St. Johns, AZ for $8000.  While there is some zoning, it is very lenient at this time and does allow for full-time camping, so I plan to make it a home base of sorts.  Ideally, I want to secure a "home base" in multiple states so that no matter what area of the country I am traveling in at any given moment, I have land not too far away that I can go to if need be. Aside from AZ, I am hoping over the next few years to secure at least one acre in WY, MO, WI, FL, TN, and ME. Would like to be able to escape the heat in the summer and the cold in the winters.  Plus, land investments are only going to go up in value over the coming years, so it feels like a smart move to me.  The hardest part is that parcels that are both low cost AND have minimal zoning are definitely getting much harder to find, but they are out there.....just takes lots of looking and research :)

We purchased about 30 acres of mountain land in Washington state.  No water (wells are a gamble as the water table is about 450 to 600 feet deep) but we put up a 30x40 pole barn, concrete floor with an additional 12 foot lean-to section.

All in all, very cheap.   Timber land so taxes are ridiculously cheap (was $28 a year before the pole barn, but it should only add maybe $100 a year to the cost).

pbarn.jpg

Attachments

• pbarn.jpg
    pbarn.jpg
    365.1 KB · Views: 12
That's the beginnings of a 'barndominium'....also called a 'barndo' out here in 'Texican' land.

A friend of mine built one years ago and it's very energy efficient.

You can catch lots of water off that red barn, if it rains there. I sure like the red barn, I want one on my land.