buy used van from dealer or owner?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Research how to identify a flood vehicle. This is a pretty serious issue now.

The market private, trade in and small lots are literally flooded with them right now and they are a death trap that will die with in 1-2 years. The electric is fried on them and will go out in no time, as well as safety features like brakes.

Mechelle said:
Research how to identify a flood vehicle.  This is a pretty serious issue now.

The market private, trade in and small lots are literally flooded with them right now and they are a death trap that will die with in 1-2 years.  The electric is fried on them and will go out in no time, as well as safety features like brakes.
thanks ------- wasn't aware of that........... i guess that's a reason to go with a dealer. they'd be more reputable....

Actually, the opposite it true! The dealers buy at auction from all over the country. Flood damaged cars are shipped all over the nation because everyone in the flood zone is aware of them.

An individual who is selling their own vehicle, except when in a recent flood zone, is more likely to NOT have a vehicle that has been in a flood.

Have a mechanic or the owner pull a door panel or kick panel and look for dried mud stains as they usually don't detail those areas. A dry powder fire extingusher will take out electrical conections as well don't ask me how I know!

Almost There said:
Actually, the opposite it true! The dealers buy at auction from all over the country. Flood damaged cars are shipped all over the nation because everyone in the flood zone is aware of them.

An individual who is selling their own vehicle, except when in a recent flood zone, is more likely to NOT have a vehicle that has been in a flood.

I have found in Albuquerque that  they are also being peddled on craigslist via 'private individuals'. Some maybe also buying from auction, and some may be flipping them after they realize what they bought.

So especially in big cities, 'buyer beware'.

If you are buying used know all the signs.  These cars wont last more than a year or two before the electric or the brake system is a complete failure.  Don't trust carfax either, they have some complex system for washing titles, and I have seen 2 clear flood cars that don't show up on carfax free vin# flood database.

Most you can smell immediately, some not, some have water mark signs on the roof or the doors, or weird rear rumpled carpet or weird signs of roof inside cleaning...look for rust any where inside, mud or twigs in any odd crevice especially the trunk or rear compartments or engine, any dim electronics, newer car air conditioner doesn't work, also seeing a  lot of odometer replacement, look for uneven numbers with signs of carpet wear around the pedals... etc... etc...

Dealer or from private doing a pre-mechanical purchase, easy.

Is there a source for vans at a wholesale price?
 Most 3/4 or 1 ton would not come from a private owner. I'm not really a fan of dealers.