Burying valuables on public land?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vagari

Reaction score
If you don't have a home base, storage unit or bank account and you have some valuables (rare coins, jewelry, gold, etc.) that you don't want to constantly carry with you.

What are your thoughts on finding an out of the way spot while boondocking and burying some valuables? Making a modern day treasure map using GPS, pictures and notes.

You'd have to do it illegally in an are that doesn't allow digging or you risk metal detector guys.

Get a safety deposit box at a bank. Get it at a small rural bank where they charge low rates.

Assume one can use a bank as creditors might levy it. Burying at a family's residence would be great but they are on the east coast.

Of all the hundred's of millions of acres of public land how likely is it that someone with a metal detector would find a 1 square foot spot?

Whatever you decide to do, just don't write a book about it with a poem full of cryptic clues that send hordes of idiots out digging up national parks and destroying historical sites. Someome should waterboard Forrest Fenn until he tells where the d@#%&'d box is and then shoot him.

Reminds me of a funny story, where I was the main character…..
During High School, circa 1980, I worked in an Italian Restaurant in Cleveland. I, like many of my friends at the time, though it was cool to have a beer or shot of Whiskey from time to time. So I asked a waiter at the restaurant, who of course was 21 y/o, to buy me a bottle of Crown Royal to take on a week long trip to my family's lake home in Northern Michigan. My plan was to sneak the bottle in my suitcase up north to drink it with some Summer-Buddies. Well for whatever reason, the week I was never able to sneak off into the wilderness with my buddies and drink the Crown Royal, so I decided to burry it in the woods for safe keeping until the next Summer. I wrapped the bottle in 2 large black trash bags and taped it up. I then placed it about 2 feet in the ground in an "easy to remember" spot in the woods…. next year I returned to the "exact" spot to find my buried treasure…. only one problem, I couldn't find it…. after digging and refilling about a dozens holes I decided it would be easier to have someone buy me, 17 years old then, another bottle! Funny thing is I haven't had a drink in almost 20 years now! Moral of the story, drink your Crown Royal right when you buy the bottle, don't bury it in the ground!

Creditors will not get access to a safety deposit box unless you are criminal and the government wants you.
If you want, I will hold your valuables for you.

Or maybe, save yoiur money and just don't buy any bottle. Maybe a safer (health wise, not legal wise except Co and WA) alternative

DTFuqua said:
Or maybe, save yoiur money and just don't buy any bottle. Maybe a safer (health wise, not legal wise except Co and WA) alternative

I was making a joke! I thought it was appropriate to the issue of burying items in the ground? But yes you are correct, not buying things saves money!

If creditors find out about a safe deposit box they can seize it most definitely. If they find out about any asset they can attempt to seize it.

Bury valuables in a hole, on public land, and chances it'll be a cause of worry from that time forward. YMMV. How about just building a safe into your vehicle?

Well if its in my vehicle I'll constantly worry about wrecks, theft and getting towed.

No matter where you store your valiables, the worry of losing them will always be in your mind and soul. This is a perfect example of how stuff owns the person. The only way to avoid the worry of losing something is not to own it at all, or to spiritually disconnect from it, something most people are unable to do. This is why priests take vows of poverty -- not to worship the God of wealth.

Peace.

Stargazer wrote:
No matter where you store your valiables, the worry of losing them will always be in your mind and soul. This is a perfect example of how stuff owns the person. The only way to avoid the worry of losing something is not to own it at all, or to spiritually disconnect from it, something most people are unable to do. This is why priests take vows of poverty -- not to worship the God of wealth.
================
That is very, very wise Stargazer, thank you for sharing that!
Bob

I've waited to answer this post until I talked with my brother and his wife who are traveling the Lower 48 on their motor bike since Sept 2012. They have a winter base (rent a room) in the desert southwest. Although they didn't store "valuables" per se, they did bury clothing, lawn chairs, BBQ, etc. in the desert. They dug it up upon their return this winter and found their stuff undisturbed, even though the wind had blown some of the dirt off of one of the bags. In addition to learning that they needed to bury the bag deeper with a log or rock on top to catch the blowing dirt, they also realized that black plastic melts in the desert's summers. The bags of white plastic stand up better up to the sun. In fact, he found that the plastic-coated duffle bag material works best.

Creditors - how about selling the stuff and paying off what you owe? Then the creditors are off your back and your don't have to stress over keeping the stuff safe.

@jean: the people that owe stuff are the debtors. Why the bad vibes man? chill cuz

On many sites I've read about people burying stuff, its usually preppers burying a stash for SHTF. I've always found this a little odd, but truth is if you bury it in the middle of nowhere I doubt anyone is going to find it any time soon, at least judging from Idaho, not a lot of metal detector people wandering our deserts. Problem is not getting spotted doing the burying, and remembering where it was. I know locals who use natural lava caves for their stashes, and even I did that as a young pup.

I know that, but I guess it got lost in translation. Vagari is asking how he can hide valuables that he does not want to carry with him. He does not want to use a bank box because he is concerned about creditors getting access to it. (I assume that he owes them money). He is very worried about losing the stuff or having it stolen. Well, if he sells the stuff and pays what he owes, that pretty much solves the problem. Loose ends like this need to be tied up or they will keep haunting him.

Well,

How is a creditor going to find out about a safe deposit box if it is not the bank the person usually uses and is not even in the person's hometown? [and to be on the safe side the person doesn't pay annual safe deposit box rent from his usual checking account.]

What happens with the stuff if the person dies? If buried in the desert it is lost. But the person may have relatives or friends he would like to inherit the stuff.

PastTense, the box can be traced by the social security number. There is a bigger problem with this, tho. Debt does not just go away. It follows you. It will screw up your life and take away your options until you deal with it. Maybe the items could be sold to pay off the debt. Maybe the proceeds could be used to hire a bankruptcy or tax lawyer. As long as a person has debt hanging over his head, he is not free.

Status
Not open for further replies.