Bullshit Jobs, an interesting article

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanLifeCrisis

Reaction score
An interesting read. I remember thinking this while working for bank of america, when they forced us to sit in this "Sigma Six" (or something) lecture. Halfway thru the lecture i realized that this ...thing...was all made up to give the woman speaking, and those like her, and their 'compliance' firm, a job. Lets make up this process that is designed to do nothing but teach people about the process. Well charge thousands. Brilliant! The lacture didnt have any call to action, indeed had nothing to do with our jobs. But to be compliant everyone had to hear it. And so you needed a certified lecture giver to give it. Paperwork done it quadruplicate...etc etc.

http://www.filmsforaction.org/news/on_the_phenomenon_of_bullshit_jobs/

If it was for the bank to be in compliance with some regulation, then it wasn't a bull shit presentation. You as an employee should have paid enough attention to know why you had the presentation. (disclaimer; i was a "Right-to Know" certified "presenter".)

ccbreder said:
If it was for the bank to be in compliance with some regulation, then it wasn't a bull shit presentation. You as an employee should have paid enough attention to know why you had the presentation. (disclaimer; i was a "Right-to Know" certified "presenter".)

I get what you're saying. OTOH, I had to sit through an hours' presentation and do an online test for a compliance regulation in regards to working along side persons with disabilities. I work out of my home office 2 hours away from the corporate offices and haven't stepped foot in there in 2 years. The regulation required EVERY employee to do this, so I had to do it to keep the company compliant. It wasn't even done in an interesting way and I passed it with a 100% scoring - another hour of my life that could have been spent in a different way. As a commissioned sales person, no, I didn't get paid for it.

Did I learn anything from it, heck no. Well, I did learn that once again we're becoming overregulated for stuff that should just be common sense!!

ccbreder said:
Its bullshit perpetuated by bullshit pushers. Are you one? Then please quit perpetuating the bullshit cycle before worrying about what i pay attention to.

I focus on things that actually get my job done. My job was to answer non stop phones and help customers with their accounts, as was the 40 other people listening to the jibberish she was spouting. Affected no one at our level in the company. As mentioned, its there because some shiesty firm convinced a major corp they needed to standardize some paperwork, and only play with people who do the same. And wouldnt you know it, theyd be happy to let you pay them for the pleasure.

She got paid for that time she sat up there explaining nothing of importance to people that arent involved at all with the process. But as the article says, all the people gotta have something to do or they wont be able to consume, and might become less compliant. Better to have drones doing useless tasks.

DazarGaidin said:
Its bullshit perpetuated by bullshit pushers. Are you one? Then please quit perpetuating the bullshit cycle before worrying about what i pay attention to.

Defensive much? If you were being paid, then the boss got to decide what you were doing. It's really that simple. It's better than digging ditches.

Of course a boss tells you what to do. Doesn't mitigate the fact that the job produces nothing, and serves no real purpose but to give something for the boss to tell you to do. So he has something to do. Because a supervisor tells you to do something doesn't mean he should, its efficient, profitable or good for the company or society. A boss tells you hand a shovel to bob, tells bob hand it to tim, and tim to hand it to you. now repeat. he just told them all to do something, he gave them all jobs. Meanwhile martin says bugger that and begins to dig an irrigation ditch with another shovel. 4 'imaginary' jobs and one real one.

At least digging a ditch produces something.

Does this conversation help anybody in any way or just make people angry?

The only good I can see in it is to encourage people to get out of the rat race sooner.

Anybody have any helpful ideas how to do that?
Bob

Any time you work for someone else, you have to occasionally 'play the game' and endure silly PC mindless time-wastes like Sensitivity Training, Diversity Training, etc. that essentially waste your valuable working hours. Been there, done that. As long as I got paid, let the company accept the loss of my time on the job. It still rankled, spinning my gears doing nothing worthwhile with things that needed doing going idle.
Best way around that is to work for yourself. You'll put in more hours, make less profit, but maybe think better of 'The Boss'....... :)

I worked for my self for many years. What a bad boss, low pay, extremely long hours, no benefits or days off.

I think if you hate your job that much you should quit. Get another job or come up with your own. When you are your own boss then you can set up how your business runs and what is valuable.

If not, you need to buck up and do your job, even if you think a certain training or order is counter productive.

I look at my job as a means to a paycheck and benefits. I do the right thing, notify my boss if something is not as good as it could be, then I move on if I disagree. This of course does not apply to unethical behavior.