Bug Stoppers...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradKW

Reaction score
I was working in a house that had these neat roll-away screen doors, and it occurred to me that these might be adaptable to van door openings. In googling the product, seems there's many choices out there...cheapest being ones that don't have side rails, so they only have solid contact at top and bottom.

There are some rather pricey ones ($300ish), but I think there's a in-between...the doors I saw on job just weren't in the same class as the expensive ones, but did seal all around and a magnet held shut.

One rather big issue I've had down in the Keys is with no-see-ums...if you've never experienced them, they just really suck. And they are so tiny they can go through normal screening. I remember sleeping with windows up and being hot, rather than letting those things into the car   :/

I know one thing the cheaper ones are, well cheap junk. why don't you just get the material and use magnates to hold it in place? highdesertranger

I dunno...I just like doors that open-close-and store away without effort. I always like the day when a new house gets a front door and we can stop the daily unscrew/re-screw plywood over the opening. Not that plywood doesn't work fine, I just prefer the easier path ;)

I have had two of the $20 magnetic screens. Plus one I made out of shade screen (odd sized door). The two doors were made by different manufacturers. One was like the fabric screening in a tent. It tore up in one season (I saved the magnets). The second one is tougher and I will use it next summer. I did have to add the saved magnets to it. The shade screen one is attached to my rear emergency door with rare earth magnets. I think I like it best. I like what I did with it best. I like the shade screen material best. I can leave the door open and the dog can go in/out as she pleases (I'm in a fenced yard). The second screen door I bought was made like pocket rod curtain sheers. It was two overlapping panels stitched together with a pocket for a tension rod to be inserted into. Since it is a bit cool when the sun goes down yet still warm enough during the day that I can leave the entry door open, I hauled out my sewing machine and ran a pocket in an old waffle weave thermal blanket I had. The twin sized blanket is covering the door. Light enough the breeze blows thru, the dog can open it herself. It is a single panel held to the door frame on one side with rare earth magnets.

I will be making a new one. The thermal blanket lets too much cold air in for winter. I will save it for summer when I will turn it into a center split panel. I think the single panel should be a center split double panel like the screens. Today I will be going to the thrift store and will get a new thicker blanket ($4) to cut up and make a new "winter" panel. I think the blanket on the door works well to add additional insulation at night. I think I need a heavier tension rod. I will use a tension shower rod instead. That should hold the weight of the blanket. The magnets in the center will not be attached to the blanket. I want to be able to wash & dry the blanket. So I will sew washers into the side hems and once up, stick a rare earth magnet on the washer on one side. I need to buy more rare earth magnets off of Amazon. I use them all over the place and I have lost and/or broke several (they are fragile). I may just look at the curtains while I am perusing the blankets. I might find a pre-made one that I can modify to fit. My door is 31W X 79H.

Check a military surplus store. I have a strong puptent unit made of no-see-um screen. I have also seen (at surplus) square panels that could be cut and fit.

For magnets, I really like the cow magnets, they're very durable, and strong.

800px-CowMagnet.jpg

I prefer the rare earth magnets out of harddrives. They are free.<g>

Cow magnets stop bugs  :huh:

I always thought a windshield was the best way to stop a bug.   ;)

Do you ever notice how the biggest one goes for your face? :s

My cat as a lot of fun with bugs.  Crickets give him terrible magic gas, (Clears the van instantly) so I hope not to find any of those.  :-/