Bucket toilet stability fixes?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Grandson has Autism and core body strength issues.
Potty training was an ordeal in that he'd literally fall over sitting on his little training potty.

I built a frame out of 1 1/2" PVC schedule 40 pipe, it provided him with support and it helped him to stand when finished.

It must have worked...... He's potty trained.

Dave

BradKW said:
Perhaps a hammock chair combined with a bucket strapped to the underside might be a versatile solution...

Pretty sure I had something that worked like that when I was a kid.

Attachments

• fp2179-pasta-dough-MIB.jpg
    fp2179-pasta-dough-MIB.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 7
Maybe weight the bucket with something like pea gravel (rounded edges, wouldn't tear the trash bag) or rocks or gravel topped with a circle of foam below the trash bag. Depends on how much force you're putting on the top edge, but you have lots of room to work with in a 7 gallon. Problem is it might be too weighty.

kayell said:
Maybe weight the bucket with something like pea gravel (rounded edges, wouldn't tear the trash bag) or rocks or gravel topped with a circle of foam below the trash bag. Depends on how much force you're putting on the top edge, but you have lots of room to work with in a 7 gallon. Problem is it might be too weighty.

It would all be so much easier in a van, but the uneven ground under a tent has me shooting for a wider base.  I try not to envision flipping the bucket while landing on my butt amid the debris.

Queen wrote, "I try not to envision flipping the bucket while landing on my butt amid the debris." that's not the visual I wanted in my mind, lol. highdesertranger

Can you pull yourself up with a rope?
I have no idea if you have anyplace to attach a rope butt it works if your able to use rope...

I was going to suggest placing bricks inside the bucket, but now that you mention uneven ground, I see that won't work.

OK, how 'bout this? Buy two buckets and saw the bottom 6 or 7 inches off one of them and bolt that to a suitable sized piece of plywood.
Then you simply drop the complete/uncut bucket into the bucket-bottom you have bolted to the plywood.

Presto! Stable toilet, and the plywood/bucket-bottom system doesn't take up a lot of space.

And who knows..... Maybe you'll find an interesting use for the 7' deep bucket with the stable plywood base when you're not sitting on the "can".

The big clear bottled water containers are shipped when full in a heavy duty, taller, with steel reinforced corners, plastic milk crate type container. A five gallon bucket fits into the crate but only as far as the external rings on the bucket. A concrete stepping stone could probably be found to put in the bottom of the crate but since the crate is heavy duty it weighs a few extra pounds anyway. This makes the bucket taller and stable at the same time. Tent stakes can be driven through the openings in the bottom and sides of the crate.

Queen said:
With my mangled up knee I'm looking at the seven gallon bucket for the height, but to get off the toilet I have to place my hand on the rim between my legs and push up to get up.  This makes the bucket tip, I was wondering if anyone else had this issue and came up with a fix?

So far I'm thinking of cutting a piece of 1/2 or 3/4 plywood in a bigger footprint and bolting it to the bottom, using some silicone to make to bolt hole leak proof.  But I'm game if anyone has a better idea.

I use a  square milk crate and I put two layers of scrape 2x4 wood over the bottom of it and then put the 5 gal bucket inside it. I have had it next to my car so I've use the bumper if  I need a stable boost. Another thing to do for stability is get a folding walker and take the wheels off of it and put it behind potty so you can use sides to push up on to get up. Practice so you don't get tippy and off balanced with it if on unstable area. You can find them at thrift stores and sometimes yard sales.

If you are going to poo and bag then why not get one of these? LINK: goo.gl/bKkHNL (It is from Amazon, I used Google URL shortener). That way after you bag you can fold it up and it takes up hardly any space. Worth the money?

What about a folding medical walker?  I see them at Goodwill all the time, and they could be useful for getting up and down from more than the toilet.  

They could also be multi purpose--I keep thinking of altering one to be a camp table, using a plywood top and broom/mop hanger things.

Tool Amour said:
What about a folding medical walker?  I see them at Goodwill all the time, and they could be useful for getting up and down from more than the toilet.  

They could also be multi purpose--I keep thinking of altering one to be a camp table, using a plywood top and broom/mop hanger things.
My son sent this to my email, have you seen it?  My daughter who is practicing for her off grid experience has been using something along these lines.  I got a kick out of it.

i think some of those were set up at the rtr for public restrooms

Sent from my VS425PP using Tapatalk

VanLifeCrisis said:
i think some of those were set up at the rtr for public restrooms

Sent from my VS425PP using Tapatalk

Yep, Bob even did a vlog about setting them up

We decided to go with a folding bedside commode. It takes up more room, but it's multi purpose for my endless knee surgeries.