Bucket toilet stability fixes?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Queen

Reaction score
With my mangled up knee I'm looking at the seven gallon bucket for the height, but to get off the toilet I have to place my hand on the rim between my legs and push up to get up.  This makes the bucket tip, I was wondering if anyone else had this issue and came up with a fix?

So far I'm thinking of cutting a piece of 1/2 or 3/4 plywood in a bigger footprint and bolting it to the bottom, using some silicone to make to bolt hole leak proof.  But I'm game if anyone has a better idea.

I'm still in the VAN construction stage but I have built and used my version of a "toilet cassette"

I started with a wooden base and attached a cabinet face to it ........an "L"......the whole assembly slides into a cubee hole under the counter

next I screw Bucket #1 to the base..........Now I add bucket #2 inside bucket #1..........

Now you have a taller "seat" than a single bucket......the bottom #1 bucket remains clean.........USE bucket #2 directly or w/bags.......The Cabinet face (if  diagonally braced to the base) provides a sturdy handhold for those aging knees

I added  a "normal" toilet seat by fashioning additional support around the buckets...........lift both lid & seat and remove the bucket...........

I'm still in a tent, so cabinetry is a little ways down the road. LOL But I like the sound of that for a future van.

I wouldn't put a hole in the bucket. Try putting the bottom in a plastic create. If a crate doesn't fit, make a wooden crate that fits.

I was going to suggest a handle on your ceiling to pull up, rather than push on the bucket, but you said tent so that's out.

I am not telling you to steal a milk crate. The plastic buckets fit inside them. Then a plywood base could also be fit to the crate, if needed.

I have some milk crates, but i don't think we're close enough to make it a worthwhile trip to pick one up  :rolleyes:

Walmart sells milk crates for a few bucks. Do you really wanna crap in a bucket AND be a thief?

But something like boxes at either side of the bucket and push up on them instead. Or get one of those metal chair-like things with toilet seats and place it over your bucket. In fact, I think they have channels under the seat where a bed pan slides in and out. Perhaps the bucket would also slide in there.

Or just "hold it" until your knee is healed. ;)

ccbreder said:
I am not telling you to steal a milk crate. The plastic buckets fit inside them. Then a plywood base could also be fit to the crate, if needed.

That's great, thanks!  I have a couple of very old "actual" milk crates I umm accidentally found, many years ago.

MrNoodly said:
But something like boxes at either side of the bucket and push up on them instead. Or get one of those metal chair-like things with toilet seats and place it over your bucket. In fact, I think they have channels under the seat where a bed pan slides in and out. Perhaps the bucket would also slide in there.

Or just "hold it" until your knee is healed. ;)

I was originally going t get a medical bedside commode, but even the folding ones take up a bunch of room.  And the knee will never be any better, the last surgery got it this far and that's it... not sure I could hold it forever.  :p

Keep an eye out for a frame something like this, that you could just set over your bucket; it would help you get to  your feet and prevent the bucket from tipping over:  
http://www.medicalproductsdirect.co...aRn0j_0AbLWffqOIU33EU_a50C8-2qTf5YRoCHqXw_wcB

I've seen things like this at thrift shops, but you have to check fairly regularly.

Another source of used medical equipment can be through Catholic Community Services.  They're all over the country, maybe there is one near you.  You don't have to be Catholic.

There are all kinds of non-profits that will LEND you medical equipment, but some may sell them for a reasonable price:  Check places like local American Legion posts, FreeCycle (online), free on Craigslist. Any time you're checking with a place and they only loan, be sure to ASK them if they know any place that SELLS that stuff.

Check Habitat for Humanity.

The general online term for free and exchangable stuff is REUSABLE MATERIALS EXCHANGE -- just add your state to narrow it down.

Recycling Resources - List of U.S. State-Specific Waste Exchanges
http://www.ehso.com/wastexchg.php     
Not many of these places are broken down as to type, so it's not easy to find person-to-person exchanges; some are just for companies, some for govt institutions, some for commercial metal/plastic/glass/etc recycling.

I have my 5 gallon bucket with a luggable loo seat sitting inside an igloo cube cooler. Very stable and can be used for seating. Jan

I actually donated the one I used after my surgery, planned on using it for camping but it takes up too much room, even the folding ones are bulky and big.

I'll be okay with a bucket, hopefully the milk crate with a stabilizer piece of plywood underneath will work out. The milk crate can do double duty so it should be worth the room it uses.

janncoo said:
I have my 5 gallon bucket with a luggable loo seat sitting inside an igloo cube cooler. Very stable and can be used for seating. Jan

Another great possibility, thanks!

I keep my extra tall bucket filled about 3/4s of the way up with kittly litter

The best thing about the abandoned milk crates from a closed dairy, they are much heavier & sturdy, than the ones sold at such as walmart.

TMG51 said:
 Do you really wanna crap in a bucket AND be a thief?

Yes. Crapping in a bucket and being a thief has always been a goal of mine, and I feel ok about it. 

Perhaps a hammock chair combined with a bucket strapped to the underside might be a versatile solution...