Break-in or theft

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I guess the Wheel Lock can be sawn off too. Thanks for the input.

The club is not for casual thieves. Past that, there are a number of ways to remove it. Most of them fairly quick.

I think it just says that someone is aware and is trying to prevent theft.

It shouldn't be your only defence if you decide to use one.

Scratch the LoJack idea. It will only work as long as the vehicle is within range of a cell tower.

I 'm not. I'm more worried about a smash and grab and/or someone torching the rig.
I can only think of 2 options. Bullet-proof glass (probably way too expensive) or a spy cam. But spy cams only record for a limited amount of time before they loop again. And just because a spy cam has recorded the break-in, that's no guarantee that the recording will give enough information to track down the thief.

Last edited:
You can always track down a vehicle after the fact. Easiest, regardless if how you feel about them, would be an apple air tag tracker. If it can find luggage on another continent, it can find your rig.

If you wanted video cameras on your rig. It would probably cost you $25/mo if you have solar.

You'd have to buy and install cameras, then have a $25/mo unlimited data service. You could remote into your cameras and even talk to someone while not there. It's a fairly simple setup.

I use a CLUB on our camper.

Happened to read this. Not sure how accurate.

What Car Thieves Think of the Club

June 8, 2010
By Stephen J. Dubner
In so doing, we discuss the difference between two anti-theft devices for cars, the Club and LoJack. Because LoJack is a hidden device and thieves cannot therefore know which cars have it and which don’t, it cuts down on overall theft. Which means it produces the rare positive externality. The Club, meanwhile, works in the opposite manner:
The Club is big and highly visible (it even comes in neon pink). By using a Club, you are explicitly telling a potential thief that your car will be hard to steal. The implicit signal, meanwhile, is that your neighbor’s car – the one without a Club – is a much better target. So your Club produces a negative externality for your non-Club-using neighbor in the form of a higher risk that his car will be stolen. The Club is a perfect exercise in self-interest.
Having read this passage, a man named Jim Burns wrote in with an interesting background story:
Back in the ’90s, I was working as a design engineer for Chrysler. I had responsibility for key cylinders and door latches. At that time auto theft rates in Europe were increasing and driving the insurers to put pressure on the Euro governments to require increased theft deterrence devices on all new cars. As part of our attempt to figure out where best to invest our design dollars, we hired some professional car thieves to provide a more hands-on perspective than us engineers had (well, maybe not all of us).
At some point, the Club was mentioned. The professional thieves laughed and exchanged knowing glances. What we knew was that the?Club is a hardened steel device that attaches to the steering wheel and the brake pedal to prevent steering and/or braking. What we found out was that a pro thief would carry a short piece of a hacksaw blade to cut through the plastic steering wheel in a couple seconds. They were then able to release The Club and use it to apply a huge amount of torque to the steering wheel and break the lock on the steering column (which most cars were already equipped with). The pro thieves actually sought out cars with The Club on them because they didn’t want to carry a long pry bar that was too hard to conceal.
Ah, the beauty of unintended consequences.

You can always track down a vehicle after the fact. Easiest, regardless if how you feel about them, would be an apple air tag tracker. If it can find luggage on another continent, it can find your rig.

If you wanted video cameras on your rig. It would probably cost you $25/mo if you have solar.

You'd have to buy and install cameras, then have a $25/mo unlimited data service. You could remote into your cameras and even talk to someone while not there. It's a fairly simple setup.
"Airtags rely on other people's Bluetooth - enabled iPhones in the Find My network to discover your items." Not sure I want to depend on that.

My worst-case scrnario is:
I'm in the middle of nowhere or deep in the forest. No cell towers within range. I leave the van and go for a long hike. A thief or thieves break in. They try to drive the van off but are defeated by one or more of the many great measures that have been suggested on this thread (thank you). However, they have gotten off with all the valuables.

The ideal system would detect the break-in and immediately notify me. But since there is no cell service, how would it notify me? Would I have to periodically "check-in" via GPS with my smart phone?

I totally get that. It's amazing how far the air tag reach is. A reporter recently donated shoes to a recycling nonprofit and found them in a rural market in Indonesia. He went there and bought them back. I don't like all the uses of the air tag, but they are effective.

The ability to do what your state for your ideal system is feasible, and relatively easy. But it might be more expensive than you'd want it to be.

You don't have to spend lots to be well protected.... I have a $5 fuel pump cut-off switch well hidden plus a GPS tracker that works perfect for me. I pay about $10 a month for the tracker cell service. Looks like about 38,000 good ratings on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Tracki-Magne...=1677249280&sprefix=gps+tracke,aps,113&sr=8-4
Do you have to get under the vehicle to work the fuel pump switch? And will the tracker send coordinates to your phone even if you are away from it and there is no cell service?

I totally get that. It's amazing how far the air tag reach is. A reporter recently donated shoes to a recycling nonprofit and found them in a rural market in Indonesia. He went there and bought them back. I don't like all the uses of the air tag, but they are effective.

The ability to do what your state for your ideal system is feasible, and relatively easy. But it might be more expensive than you'd want it to be.
In my case, the cost of the system would probably not be as much as the valuables. I have a complete set of drums in the van, among ither things.
How would such a system work if there's no cell service in the area? GPS is only a one-way system.

I use a CLUB on our camper.

Happened to read this. Not sure how accurate.

What Car Thieves Think of the Club

June 8, 2010
By Stephen J. Dubner
In so doing, we discuss the difference between two anti-theft devices for cars, the Club and LoJack. Because LoJack is a hidden device and thieves cannot therefore know which cars have it and which don’t, it cuts down on overall theft. Which means it produces the rare positive externality. The Club, meanwhile, works in the opposite manner:

Having read this passage, a man named Jim Burns wrote in with an interesting background story:

Ah, the beauty of unintended consequences.
LoJack will only work if it is within range of a cell tower.

You'd have to buy and install cameras, then have a $25/mo unlimited data service. You could remote into your cameras and even talk to someone while not there. It's a fairly simple
LoJack will only work if it is within range of a cell tower.
After thinking about it, I have no reason to think the Air Tag wouldn't work. Thank you for that suggestion.

HappyCamper: After thinking about it, I agree with you about the Air Tag. There are Bluetooth users everywhere, and triangulation can be made from any combination of them. Thank you

Fairman, what type of vehicle do you use? Planning out the system really depends on space available, and funds.

My practice is not to go on long hikes in remote areas, more because I fear animals with large teeth than the two legged variety who might try to break into my van"

If I feared a break in, I might first look for a very, very loud siren wired to every door and window.

Air Tag can find your vehicle, but can it tell you it's gone if you're not within cell tower range? And can I report it if I'm not within cell tower range? Something tells me no.

Last edited:
Please don't take this the wrong way. You live in your van with a full set of drums? My daughter has an electronic drum set, and that would be hard to work around.

Latest posts