Box Truck Conversion Videos

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice. What kind of fuel economy did you get with it on your trip home?
BTW, I was thumb #31 on this video.  

Ballenxj said:
Very nice. What kind of fuel economy did you get with it on your trip home?
BTW, I was thumb #31 on this video.  

I still have to calculate fuel economy. I can drive about 5 hours on a half tank but don't have exact numbers. I should do the math in the next week and can give you an estimate at that time. thanks for the link ;)

7wanders said:
I still have to calculate fuel economy. I can drive about 5 hours on a half tank but don't have exact numbers. I should do the math in the next week and can give you an estimate at that time. thanks for the link ;)

I once had a 99 Chev (Savanna) box truck, and I believe the fuel tank held 35 gallons? Mine was the 6.5 turbo diesel though, but I believe the tankage was the same.

Ballenxj said:
I once had a 99 Chev (Savanna) box truck, and I believe the fuel tank held 35 gallons? Mine was the 6.5 turbo diesel though, but I believe the tankage was the same.

I think mine must be 50g... I've put 40 in it with under 1/4 tank (maybe 1/8) before the fill

You should be able to build out a very nice dwelling area with that much space. Do you like to drive it? How long is it?

Ballenxj said:

I put 40 gallons in it last night when the tank said 1/4 full... so I think it must be 50 or 55 gallons ;)

skyl4rk said:
You should be able to build out a very nice dwelling area with that much space.  Do you like to drive it? How long is it?

its a 18ft box... overall length is about 24ft. it is nice to drive, but scary backing up. I need to install a backup camera. I'm still doing sketches and making plans for the buildout. 

ps. I'm doing lots of youtube videos and one I posted a few days ago was on the interior plans (I think I have about 6 or 7 videos now)

7wanders said:
its a 18ft box... overall length is about 24ft. it is nice to drive, but scary backing up. I need to install a backup camera.
I asked a person I worked with to guide me back into a tight space once. When I was in, I walked around to inspect and almost had a Heart Attack! That ding dong was not watching the eaves of the building, and I had almost a 1/4 inch of clearance from them. :(

7wanders said:

I'm getting 10mpg which I guess is typical of a 350 box truck (or so I've read)
[font='Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, sans-serif]Save[/font][font='Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, sans-serif]Save[/font]

I'd like to add one of those air/wind diverters that covers cab roof and attaches to box (but can't locate one so far). You have the "attic" projecting out in that space, but in searching for what I want I saw a couple things that you might consider.

One was called a Nose Cone and it covered the front face of attic to round it over, and other was an air dam that bridges between cab roof and attic. Both items together might add 1-1.4 mpg according to a little calculator I happened across.

Too bad your attic isn't connected to roof, which would allow you to open the pass thru door up higher...are you planning on a side entry?

I decided to sell the box truck and am currently looking for a step van for conversion