"Borrowing" electricity

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy

Reaction score
Just finishing up my first week in my van and loving it!

Winter is fast approaching here in Canada and I spent last night in a commercial area that had several electrical outlets on the outside of the buildings.

What are peoples thoughts on tapping into these? I could easily run a cord out of my engine bay so it would look like my block heater (very common in Canada). The idea of running an electric space heater all night is very tempting.

Please, don't do it. We're already fighting the belief that we're a bunch of ne're do wells sponging off every one else's hard earned money.

I believe the words...."Theft of Services or Theft of Utilities" comes to mind!!!!

your going to be either the part of the problem or part of the solution......but a thief is always known as a thief

A Canadian comes to Florida in October with a new shirt and a $5 bill and does not change either until March.

My mother was born in Winnipeg, Manitoba so I only resemble one half of the above remark.

The Canadians mobbed south jersey beaches during the late 60's and 70's. they were and are still welcomed. They contributed greatly to the local economy until they were enticed further south. During the 50's, Philly day trippers were a different story, earning the name Shoebies, for bringing their lunch in a shoe box. Our Socony gas station was busy as the cars could not do the round trip with out service.

Borrowing something usually means that you are going to give it back. How do you intend to do that?

Not giving it back and not paying for it is stealing it. This is a question you should be able to answer, yourself.

I think of it in the same manner as I think of stealing food from hospitals. Don't do it. It's stealing. You shouldn't have to be told that.

For charging a couple of AAA batteries? Yes. For running my asthmatic friend's inhaler for 30 minutes? Yes. For heating your van overnight? NO.

slow2day said:
For charging a couple of AAA batteries? Yes. For running my asthmatic friend's inhaler for 30 minutes? Yes. For heating your van overnight? NO.

Wow! It's OK to steal a little, but not a lot. Theft is theft. You didn't get permission to use it, somebody is paying for it, it's just wrong.

There was a guy would stay up all knight with laptop on bench in front of a bookeepers office. It took a while but the cops did have a talk to him. There is a charge for doing this (someone mentioned above)

I charge the batts at work but that's as far as i go. I bought a generator for cloudy stretches eventually.

Several years ago there was a blackout in my area like we never have here. I drove halfway across the county to find batteries, and when I got to that store, there were people outside with their stuff plugged into that outside outlet. I never would have dreamed of doing it, but given the situation with some people having no power for weeks, I think the store probably had no problem with it. That was a community crisis, not comparable to a single person powering a home on wheels.

You really need permission to hook into some else's utilities.

obviously no unless some true dire emergency that would warrant doing it.

ask. if you can't ask, don't do it and wait til the next day when ya can ask, and if you can't then for whatever reason, no, don't do it LOL

borrowing electricity, LOL. really. I think the word is stealing. It's good to see most people understand that you can't do this without permission. wow this is a blast from the past thread. highdesertranger

yea we all want free and easy but morals ya know LOL

ask and if no ask and confirm the no as much as we thinking pluggin' in is a 'very simple' no harm act....but yea, ethics on this one!
Dire death emergenices are exempt tho but I would think very very very rare! OLD post but geez ya know :)

If any of you remember Jim Foreman from the old yahoo group, he was an advocate of using commercial outdoor plugs ..lol. I hope he is well, now living in Texas.

Actually at most places that have tournament fishing like here at Bullfrog you are given access to 15 amp outdoor plugins at no charge at most parking areas. Batteries for trolling motors need to be recharged and generators are not allowed at night when most would recharge them. Most bathrooms and fish cleaning stations also have them, again at no charge. The biggest problem is burning out plugs due to people plugging in high amp appliances.

Ug. This thread brings back unpleasant memories of the extra work people who like to "borrow" commercial space electricty, water, dumpsters, and space (for activites other than commercial property owners and tenants intend). When we lived on Kauai, I worked in commercial property management. I was responsible for stopping theft and misuse at commercial and industrial properties. PEOPLE own and lease these properties, and PAY for the privilege. They pay for the utilities and services and common area maintenance. These are not public places, they are private properties. Tenants end up paying for things like hose bibb locks, outlet locks, extra dumpster service, towing abandoned vehicles, management time in trespassing folks who disregard owner and lessee rights to their own properties and services, and on and on.

Don't steal.

/rant

Sorry. I'm asking myself it this reply could possibly make the OP glad to be a part of this forum community, and I can't imagine it would. But it might open a few eyes to a truth that will steer them toward better cchoice- so I'm posting it anyway.

Considering this thread was started in 2014, which is also the same year of the OPs last visit, I think you're safe...