Blew a fuse? No Horn/Interior Light's/Radio - All Fuses Ok after swapped in new?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreeBird

Reaction score
I have a 1993 GMC G2500 Vandura Conversion, I've been fighting with this issue for quite a while so I thought I'd ask my fellow friend's for some advice.

Everything was working fine until one day I plugged in a GPS unit into the front cigarette lighter, the minute I did, I lost power to it along with the radio, horn and interior light's that turn on when you open the door's.

After finding the blown 15A fuse and replacing it, the radio is now on constant whenever I turn the key on but all I get is static (No channel change etc), no horn, no auto interior light's when I open the door's, although they will manually come on if you turn them on.

I checked the fuses behind the drivers seat, like I said I found a blown 15A and replaced it, the radio turned back on but is now on constantly with just static, you can't change the channel, only turn the volume up and down and it's just static, no horn etc, all other fuses look good, is there another fuse box under the hood? I looked but didn't see anything. :huh:

Thanks!

Chris

I don't have a GMC van, so I can't provide any SPECIFIC information to solve your problem(s).

A couple of generalities . . .

A modern vehicle has so many electrical circuits that it's quite common for there to be two or even three fuse boxes in different locations.

At a minimum, you need the owners manual that's usually in the glove box. Among other things, that will tell you where all of your fuse boxes are, which fuses are for which items, etc. I'm guessing you don't have one. They can be found on Ebay. I just got one for a Jeep Cherokee I bought at auction that didn't come with one.

If you really get in to doing your own work, you want a copy of the factory service manual, with complete wiring diagrams. Also available on Ebay.

Finally, there are forums all over the web devoted to specific vehicles. I'm sure you can find one ( or more - there are a TON of Jeep forums! ) devoted to GMC vans. You'll find experts there that can answer any question you can possibly think to ask.

Regards
John

Modern vehicles with the OBD and Can Bus systems can be very irritating. There are various sensors and small 'computers' that have to be satisfied in order to work. My 2005 Grand Caravan has a problem occasionally with the door locks and electric sliding doors becoming inop. Can't figure out why. But the fix is to 'reset' it by disconnecting the chassis battery for ten minutes or so, then reconnect. All then works. Til next time...... ;-)
Try this, it's a cheap fix if it works. You will need to reset the radio and clock, but it sounds like you'll need to do that anyway.

again I agree with both responses. this is why I hate newer vehicles because sooner or later you have electrical problems. at least your vehicle is still running and it's only luxury stuff not working. highdesertranger

Sounds like a fuseable link or a short interfering with your circuit to me. That problem will only be solved with a wiring diagram. There is at least one spot that they all have in common.

(Cheaper than randomly replacing parts.)

I'm not familiar with your particular truck but GM's "security system" ay one time had a lot to do with the radio. I believe that it was mostly to stop radio theft but why put in something to guard a stock radio is beyond me. It's been awhile working on those type problem and I quitting all mechanic work, except my own, so I'm not into looking things up any more, Besides, I would gave to have hands on to go through the process of diagnosing it so me looking things up wouldn't be a very effective way to fix it anyway. Just trey searching with Google till you find someone that had the same problem and you should find enough info to diagnose and fix it yourself.

you stated that you replaced a blown fuse that was located behind the drivers seat,there is also a fuse block under the drivers side of the dash on the left of the steering column you might check those also