Blank slate, sort of. Just stepping in to van life

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gramgoes

Reaction score
After pondering the possibilities for a limited budget transformation of my apartment life for the remembered freedom of on the road; I bought a 2002 Chevy Express 2500 cargo van a few days ago.  I am pleased with the potential. Slightly daunted by the initial steps that I consider essential...I need a couple of windows added at least to the side, barn doors.  Thinking of 2 roof vents, skylights for more daylight and ventilation. And I need to install a third seat as I have two young grandsons who will with some frequency travel with me.  I am imaging a swivel seat that could become a comfy chair when parked. Then the rest of the build out feels strainght forward.  Any opinions on these two pressing issues?

Welcome Gramgoes to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

Hi and welcome to the forum. Since your biggest decision is made already (vehicle), go to the forum home page, scroll down to the "conversions and modifications" sub-forum, and take some time to read up.  Or, if you want to watch YouTube videos on the topic, search "vandwelling" and you can even find platform specific builds on the Chevy Express there.

Good luck and let us know how it's coming!

Welcome!

roof planning is important in the initial stages. Make sure you plan enough space for solar panels as you consider your vents and skylight. Personally, I'd give up the skylight as you'll get some light through the vents. Also, doesn't seem to me that you'd need two vents in a van; one is likely enough. Solar will give you plenty of juice for interior LED lights.

Once the roof is planned out next step is insulation and paneling to make a clean interior box to build in. Then it's all about the interior layout. I reckon I do 3 hours of thinking for every one hour of building. Enjoy the process, lots here to learn.

Welcome, gran! You might think about a bench bed (couch that pulls out into a bed) along the length of the van for the extra seating you need. It might cost a bit to add the seat belts for the kiddos, but it's a way to get it in there without taking up much needed room. How old are the grandsons? Will one be able to sit in the passenger seat? If so, maybe you'll only need a jump seat that can fold up behind the driver's seat when not in use? Lots of options, I would think.

Well, it was a long journey back to this forum. I discovered the trusted (mechanic) friend who sold me the van is less than trustworthy and everything came to a halt.  I wanted to see if I could reply to you as I really appreciated your good suggestions.  Maybe I will be back on a solid course and cross paths with you someday.  Gramgoes (eventually)

Latest posts