Black hills gold.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TravelingZombies

Reaction score
My wife and I just got through spending two weeks the Black hills around Custer South Dakota. We had an opportunity to speak to a number of native Americans in the Lakota tribe and we're shocked at what we learned. Apparently the US government had a treaty agreement with the Indians that made the Black hills of South Dakota their land, until somebody discovered gold and then the government took back the land from the natives. The natives are obviously not happy about this but they don't mind people coming and enjoying the lands they used to call theirs enjoying the outdoors climbing hiking all that outdoorsy stuff. What they said they didn't like was that people are taking all the resources from the mountains the gold the silver the mica that they use for roofing tiles and they're getting nothing out of it. My wife just so happens to really like Black hills Gold and after learning of this Injustice initially we weren't going to buy anymore Black hills Gold until we came up with a solution. For now on if we buy anything this is Black hills gold or silver or anything from the Black hills we're going to photograph the receipt make a copy and send it to the Crazy Horse Memorial with the amount of what we spent to buy that gold so if we buy a ring for $200 then we were going to send a copy of that receipt along with $200 to the Crazy Horse Memorial so there can be some kind of Justice for the natives. They're currently in a battle with the government to get their land back and were offered a cash settlement they declined they are offered some of the land back but it was dead land nothing you can do with it can grow anything or anything on it. They declined they're still having a court battle because they want their land back that was treatied to them which seems fair to us. The US government admits that they messed up with that whole treaty situation but are currently refusing to rectify it.

It is a shame how many of the Natives were handled by the govt.

You do realize though that buying Black Hills gold from a non Sioux tribal member you keep the market going.
Just don't buy it unless it's from a tribal member. It's like committing the sin then atoning for it by paying a fee. lol

Such an indignity that so many of the western tribes have to be subjected to having Custer's name honored everywhere. Won't find me spending a dime at any venue/locale that pays homage to that person.

We were at Crazy Horse Memorial and didn't really see any Black hills gold and they really find no value in gold other than is being stripped from their land, most of the items we saw in the gift shop were silver. Understand where you coming from about perpetuating the problem and are looking for alternatives.

The US government made and broke over 300 treaties with indigenous peoples. Google it. Same with the European colonizers of Africa and Southeast Asia, Portugal and Spain in the New World. Age old story of power corrupting absolutely

The Crazy Horse monument is a desecration of Thunderhead Mountain, a site sacred to the Oglala Lakota. Your donations would be better put to use fighting the pipelines or contributing to the education of their future leaders

Let the court battle rock on! Govt will drag it out for mega decades I am sure :(

Sad truly.

ugh

vandella said:
The Crazy Horse monument is a desecration of Thunderhead Mountain, a site sacred to the Oglala Lakota. Your donations would be better put to use fighting the pipelines or contributing to the education of their future leaders
According to the Lakota Indians the sculptor bought all that property from the government and that is where the Lakota Indians wanted the monument to be built so it's not desecrating another mountain to create a monument any more than it was when they made Mount Rushmore. That's where the natives wanted it that's where the sculptor built it and everybody here is happy.

The treatment of native Americans by our government is a long story of injustices, broken promises, and death. In some respects, we were not much better than Hitler was to the Jewish people. If I'm not mistaken, the only reservations that the U.S. government set up for the natives that were not later taken back were sited in worthless areas.

TravelingZombies said:
According to the Lakota Indians the sculptor bought all that property from the government and that is where the Lakota Indians wanted the monument to be built so it's not desecrating another mountain to create a monument any more than it was when they made Mount Rushmore. That's where the natives wanted it that's where the sculptor built it and everybody here is happy.
One Native sold the land (tribal land), the then chief, Standing Bear. But, the land was stolen previously. Broken treaties. The family of Crazy Horse was never consulted and to this day resent the sculpture and how the entire debacle has been handled. Do some research. Peace out

kklowell said:
If I'm not mistaken, the only reservations that the U.S. government set up for the natives that were not later taken back were sited in worthless areas.

Worthless at the time they were established but later found to have valuable minerals or oil underneath as in Oklahoma. Or the location was later found to be very desirable for recreational use and tourism.

indeed, worthless at the time, taken back when they were worth something.

vandella said:
One Native sold the land (tribal land), the then chief, Standing Bear. But, the land was stolen previously. Broken treaties. The family of Crazy Horse was never consulted and to this day resent the sculpture and how the entire debacle has been handled. Do some research. Peace out
Yeah I did my research when I bought a book about the history of Crazy Horse from the Lakota Indians and how they verified all the information in there so thank you maybe you should check your facts.
Good luck

This thread is way off the rails and way outside the realm of CRVL. I am going to leave it open for now but be mindful of what you are posting. Highdesertranger

Off topic in the "Off-topic and Chit-Chat" section? But yeah, the situation he brings up is pretty political...

download - 2021-08-11T201235.330.jpeg

download (89).jpeg

download (60).jpeg

download - 2021-08-11T201248.762.jpeg

Attachments

• download - 2021-08-11T201235.330.jpeg
    download - 2021-08-11T201235.330.jpeg
    62.3 KB · Views: 10
  • download - 2021-08-11T201248.762.jpeg
    download - 2021-08-11T201248.762.jpeg
    70.2 KB · Views: 9
  • download (89).jpeg